A most exclusive club...?

MtB

Featured Posts

A club such as this needs to have a strict membership policy - such as would not be possible with your model. If you changed garments as a result - you fell-in - is the appropriate test in my view.

I suppose there could be associate membership (reduced fee, no voting rights) for those that, say, only changed one of two items, but this introduces seasonal and, potentially some unpleasant personal factors, so may not work.

I like this classification, I wouldn't want to belong to a club whose members wander about with a welly full of water

Richard

The problem with this club is that the number of eligible members will continue to decrease.

Nah, there's always someone clueless buying a boat for the first time and thinking it'll never happen to them. As long as the membership is free, there'll be a queue! captain.gif

Conversely, there'll always be vacancies arising from those who lose their qualifications! help.gif

Nah, there's always someone clueless buying a boat for the first time and thinking it'll never happen to them.

...you called?

I did indeed join this club and very nearly left it within the space of 48 hours last weekend. Stepped off the boat at Black Delph onto a wet coping that sloped back toward the canal and as I was crossing the gap the one foot I had in contact with the ground slipped back toward the water. Thankfully I had just enough momentum to land on the bank with the other foot before I fell in.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

In 13 years of living aboard I've fallen in once on the Thames while getting onto a dinghy in the dark to get back to my boat. I fell between the dinghy and the vertical concrete bank and although I only went in up to my waist due to quickly sticking my arms out to stop myself going in further, I still think it counts as falling in.

It is obviously necessary to define what counts as falling in. Wet legs about five or six times but total immersion only once.

...you called?

I did indeed join this club and very nearly left it within the space of 48 hours last weekend. Stepped off the boat at Black Delph onto a wet coping that sloped back toward the canal and as I was crossing the gap the one foot I had in contact with the ground slipped back toward the water. Thankfully I had just enough momentum to land on the bank with the other foot before I fell in.

JP

Pleased you made it Cap'n, we don't want you in amongst the weeds before you're properly hooked! boat.gif I like your boat btw, lovely lines.

Anything less than total immersion doesn't count in my experience.

They are no more than near-misses.

However, there are alternative opinions, some of which I consider to have some merit.

One of these is that there should be a grading or classification system .

Possibly a points system even.

Knowing that we have some pretty inventive and witty posters on here I would welcome their suggestions as to how such systems could work

Especially if any suggested system would allow me to accumulate some points.

Can I join an exclusive department of this exclusive club, as I haven't fallen in, and I have pulled someone out who has.

Well I want a special department then, because I've fallen in, but I've also pulled my wife out. Oh, and she can be in it with me, cos she pulled me out when I fell in!:)

I am a slow, careful & very occasional rider of a bicycle... and a bit crap at it too, hence the falling in bit.

After deep and meaningful konsideration, we (that is me. Reg and Aldy) have kollectively decided fallin' in orf yer bike doesn't count. You therefor remain a fully paid up member of my EXCLUSIVE klub! Besides, we all like your avatar :D

Setting off for Pewsey in the morning. No doubt I will fall in good and proper meself tomorrow!

(Speelin ejit)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Never fallen in, slippd off roof, once and caught the handrail and got one foot wet, but never been in. <invokes curse>

As a child I had a recurring nightmare about falling into Bank Dole Lock (Aire and Calder) and drowning, so maybe I have some inbuilt carefulness due to that?

MtB has made me nearly fall in several times.

Also, I have learnt that my automatic response to someone setting off a klaxon by surprise behind my back is to drop and cover my head, even if I am standing on the gunnels at the time.

And then there was the time I fell half in and MtB promptly crashed straight into the only moored boat for miles around, which had just been blacked, and appeared to have developed a sudden and profound list after contact...

Edited by Starcoaster