Technolgy - As I continue to move into the 21st Century

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

I continue to be ever more impressed by the technology on offer.

I have an Android 'Tablet' and have heard great things about some of the "Apps" that re available - including a navigation APP.

To cut a long story short you can download the App (about £5.00) and then download the Navigation Software (about £20) an you have a complete on-board plotter system, or you can do as I did (not very good with downloading things) & buy a complete system up and running complete with a Tablet, tidal data for everywhere for 'ever' and weather forecast programmes and links (about £140 all in)

It includes EVERY UK & Eire chart (800+ of them) which if you were o buy the paper charts would cost in excess of £12,000.

You can zoom in almost down to individual buoy level and all the information that is on the paper charts (datum, tides, VHF channels etc etc).

It knows you position (Lat / Long)

Has a MOB button

Can plot waypoints and routes

All in all - just MAGIC

A couple of screen shots

Number of Satellites found, Number in use and accuracy ( 8 feet) :-

CAM00004_zpsyyol7rhz.jpg

Position (Lat / Long), Location on the globe (if in doubt) daylight / dark boundaries

CAM00006_zps7gop5qcw.jpg

The top of he Trent / Trent Falls

CAM00007_zpshkc3auar.jpg

Zoomed in a couple of clicks

CAM00008_zps12af0udm.jpg

UK Coverage (other regions available)

CAM00009_zpsi0vtzf9d.jpg

http://www.londonchartplotters.com/

Scroll down to see options available.

NOTE - this is a back-up system and should not be considered as replacement for 'proper' navigation skills using paper charts.

I have Navionics charts UK&Holland on my android phone. Its pretty impressive and you can add your own detail on top of the charts if you want to. It will work with of without internet connection. It comes all the way up the Tidal Thames and shows current and tides as well as some limited wind data.

You can take a picture with the phone and stick it to the chart. Community editing allows other users to see your marks such as depth warnings or where the shops are.

Was about £20 from android market (now called "play store")

..........depth information, which is surely one of the key pieces of information to be extracted from a chart?

Fully agree, they are legally licensed faithful copies of the Admiralty charts and have all of the information found on the 'paper' copies.

The River Trent does not show depths / contours (I guess it has not been charted)

CAM000111_zpskxsnwnqk.jpg

CAM000121_zpsxdzkjdcg.jpg

Just an additional point - it does not require the internet or phone signal. It works purely from a GPS signal and the stored charts.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Alan, you're right to be as pleased with this kit as you obviously are! My sailing buddy is a very experienced Royal Navy navigator but a bit of a techno gnome. Nevertheless, he is a complete convert, and has sailed from south Devon to the Western Isles via Ireland, done 2 years in and around the Hebrides and then brought her home again all on an electronic chart app on an obsolete Blackberry Playbook. He's a real sceptic about such things, but totally sold on it now.

The chart doesn't appear to have any depth information, which is surely one of the key pieces of information to be extracted from a chart?

Because the rivers in the area are constantly changing and hence the depths any depths printed on such a chart would be out of date almost immediately. APB has a small fleet of survey launches which monitor depths and changes in channels on a daily basis - I was watching one this morning off Brough - and the ABP hydrographic office in Hull issue an up to date chart once a month covering from the Humber Bridge upstream.

Regards

Howard

Very easy to knock out the GPS during a war.

:(

Suggest keeping the old sextant for a safe backup.

Yeah, but it's all the books needed to interpret the sightings that make that a difficult back up plan, not to mention the perishable skills involved in the calculations after you've taken the sightings - assuming we're talking stars and not just Sun-Run-Sun!

Well, that and also we might not be going sailing during WW3! Plus, I prefer narrowboating anyway. ;)

Very easy to knock out the GPS during a war.

sad.png

Suggest keeping the old sextant for a safe backup.

Still got mine.

Don't forget a mechanical chronometer too. Can't rely on your electronic watch. The electromagnetic pulse will knock it out.

Yeah, but it's all the books needed to interpret the sightings that make that a difficult back up plan, not to mention the perishable skills involved in the calculations after you've taken the sightings - assuming we're talking stars and not just Sun-Run-Sun!

Well, that and also we might not be going sailing during WW3! Plus, I prefer narrowboating anyway. wink.png

If you have a set of the Air Navigation tables star sights are easier than sun sights. I would need much revision and my old Burtons Tables to do a Marc Saint Hilaire now!

N

Don't forget a mechanical chronometer too. Can't rely on your electronic watch. The electromagnetic pulse will knock it out.

Hmmm, I have a certified chronometer from a very well respected Swiss manufacturer which I treasure. It is, however much I'd like like to say otherwise, pathetic in comparison to the average 2 quid petrol station digital in terms of accuracy. It needs a service at about the same interval as most quartz watches need batteries but at many times the cost. The wind up timex i had as a kid was less accurate, of course, but not the casios my kids had. I love it, but I understand why old fashioned Navigation resulted in the Caribbean islands being named the West Indies!

If anyone is about to give me a lesson in Nautical Horology, I was joking - please allow me some latitude. And having set that one up, I'm off to set my chronometer by the pips on the TV in the kitchen, the TV in the lounge, Fm Radio, DAB radio... Oh no, they're all different!

Well, that and also we might not be going sailing during WW3! Plus, I prefer narrowboating anyway. wink.png

In which case you will be pleased to hear that there are a number of android (and iPhone apps) that replace all the books and the calculations.

You will however still have the opportunity to practice your sights

boat.gif

For the record such software was even available for the old Psion III though the graphics weren't as good

In which case you will be pleased to hear that there are a number of android (and iPhone apps) that replace all the books and the calculations.

You will however still have the opportunity to practice your sights

boat.gif

For the record such software was even available for the old Psion III though the graphics weren't as good

Hang on, I thought GPS was down due to WW3 and there's been an electro magnetic pulse - what's the chances of a mobile app still working? Quite a good app to have this side of the apocalypse though. :)

Eta: Psion - a sad loss that, Symbian was quite pioneering and I still remember my devices as outstanding in their day.

Edited by Sea Dog

Hang on, I thought GPS was down due to WW3 and there's been an electro magnetic pulse - what's the chances of a mobile app still working? Quite a good app to have this side of the apocalypse though. :)

Eta: Psion - a sad loss that, Symbian was quite pioneering and I still remember my devices as outstanding in their day.

Metal hulled boat with metal mesh over the windows should be protected against EMP.

WW3, bring it on!

Oh, forgot about fallout and stuff.

Metal hulled boat with metal mesh over the windows should be protected against EMP.

WW3, bring it on!

Oh, forgot about fallout and stuff.

Actually in the event of a deliberate HEMP effect your equipment might well be less affected in a Tupperware/splitter

Weird but true

The ones I feel sorry for are those who still sail in ferrocement vessels.

Not only will their electronics die but their boats might fall apart too.

Unless doomsday comes soon, the software discussed is indeed excellent stuff but, for my part, I would have to have it on waterproof devices for it to be used on any boat.

Or at least a few aquapacs

Oh and electronic watches are usually too small in size to be radically affected by EMP