Railings for Marple aqueduct - whats next?

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

I came across a book titled "Canals, Locks and Canal Boats" by Hugh McKnight today. The book was published in 1974.

In it this picture quite plainly shows a youth on the non towpath side of Chirk Aqueduct.

That also seems to show a very handy upstand that one could trip over...

I came across a book titled "Canals, Locks and Canal Boats" by Hugh McKnight today. The book was published in 1974.

In it this picture quite plainly shows a youth on the non towpath side of Chirk Aqueduct.

It wasn't me

I didn't try it until a couple of years later. (I wanted photographs)

There used to be a picture of me leaning out hanging precariously by one hand from the roof rail and taking photographs over the edge of the "wrong side" of a certain Welsh aqueduct on another canal site but fortunately it seems to have disappeared

• 1 year later...

My thoughts too, there should be a listed building consent on file if this is happening.

i cant see any planning applications for it, if this is the case it needs reporting to the planning dept as it seems CRT can do as they please, although we could be wrong and the plans have been passed but not published.

Found only one planning application on the Stockport.gov.uk web site and that's for tree work near the aqueduct (2014)

Seems to suggest no application was ever made to the LPA.

What is necessary is a Scheduled Monument consent.

Any work to a designated Scheduled Monument is subject to Scheduled Ancient Monument Consent under the provisions of the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.

I've just sent an email to the relevant officer asking if there is any such Consent in place. I'll keep you all posted.

As I said earlier in the other thread:

A search of Stockport's planning website only shows approval for treework at Marple Aqueduct, a decision dated 17 October 2014, but seemingly only published on 15 July 2016.

No mention of any planning approval or listed buildings consent for railings!

A search of CTR's website produced this: https://canalrivertr...marple-aqueduct which says:

"The towpath is closed currently for your safety, we will let you know as soon as we can when we expect it to re-open. Stonework is being repaired and repointed with some of the trickier bits reached by abseiling! Daredevil pointing will start in January and we’d love to see any pictures you (safely) take. Please email them to Pamela.Pearson@canalrivertrust.org.uk and we’ll share the best on this blog."

Also https://canalrivertr...marple-aqueduct says

"From Date:
10th January 2017 at 08:00
To Date:
11th January 2017 at 17:00 inclusive
Type:
Navigation Closure
Reason:
Vegetation
Description:

Our contractors will be carrying out vegetation cutting at Marple Aqueduct on 10th and 11th January 2017. This will involve climbers abseiling over both sides of the Aqueduct where they will have to trail the ropes across the canal channel to abseil down the aqueduct walls. Because of this:

• The canal will be closed to boat traffic at Marple Aqueduct between 8am & 3:30pm on Tuesday 10th January 2017.

• There will be restrictions to navigation on Wednesday 11th January 2017 between 8am and 3.30pm. You shouldn’t be delayed by more than an hour.

This work is an essential part of our ongoing maintenance of the aqueduct. Please be cautious when approaching the aqueduct and follow the contractor’s instructions. "

No mention of railings in either.

Apologies if I have mis-lead anyone. My belief that railings were about to be installed was based on the fact that one of the men involved in the surveying told me so. He may, of course, have been wrong.

if he is a surveyor then surely he knows what work is being carried out?

Apologies if I have mis-lead anyone. My belief that railings were about to be installed was based on the fact that one of the men involved in the surveying told me so. He may, of course, have been wrong.

Just because the stoppage doesn't mention it or there is no planning application doesn't mean it might not happen.

Thank you for bringing it to everyone's attention again. I think this is something that needs to be kept an eye on.

Does this mean they will then put up ones on the bridge at cosgrove? (Sure its cosgrove over the nene? I could step off there onto the inch metal and fall off.

Next qestion why would anyone step off the boat on that side if there is a towpath the otherside?

I better put a paper guard round all paper incase i get a cut from crt sending me letters.

Quite probably....I forgot that it's more important to pick up spelling & grammar than to actually act on anything posted on here.....

In a language as rich in homophones as English, it's important that a writer uses the correct word to avoid misunderstandings. However...

tongue.png I've had a reply from SMBC (Paul Hartley) who tells me that Scheduled Monument Consent is a matter for English Heritage Northwest:

https://historicengland.org.uk/advice/planning/consents/smc/is

and is not dealt with by the LPA. THat's not what the SMBC web site says, but never mind.

I can't find a "search planning applications" facility on the EH site, but perhaps others have more patience!

ETA: the link worked for me but now it won't. The historicengland.org.uk bit works, though.

Edited by Machpoint005