Minimum distance? The enforcement officers have it in black and white.

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Volunteer data collectors: I just don't get that. I can imagine people volunteering for many different things. I've done an odd bit myself over the years. But volunteer data collectors, who would want to do that? You're not making anything look better, not helping any disadvantaged people. All they appear to be doing is providing a subsidy towards the enforcement process of a monopolistic company. I've though long and hard to try to work out what type of character would want to do this but I've drawn a complete blank.

I suppose it will all go to anpr cameras at some point with boats not displaying their registration number being pulled up and given a dressing down or even a service charge for the admin work involved in dealing with a boat which is not recognisable.

Congestion charge in London is a good model for their use and seems to be a successfully system although it is probably pretty financially sound where the Canal Camera Scheme might be a bit more of a drain on the finances.

I wonder if you can get volunteers to design, procure fit and monitor a CCTV vessel logging system :lol:

I guess if it doesn't involve a leisurely stroll along the towpath it might not attract so many volunteers :rolleyes:

Edited by magnetman

Volunteer data collectors: I just don't get that. I can imagine people volunteering for many different things. I've done an odd bit myself over the years. But volunteer data collectors, who would want to do that? You're not making anything look better, not helping any disadvantaged people. All they appear to be doing is providing a subsidy towards the enforcement process of a monopolistic company. I've though long and hard to try to work out what type of character would want to do this but I've drawn a complete blank.

Well, it could simply be someone who likes to go out for a daily walk with the chance/excuse to have a wee chat to strangers (boaters) who in general seem to be a fairly friendly lot.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with having volunteers to do some of the data collecting. But why try to make them out to be some sort of unnatural.

I've volunteered for numerous things over the years, and quite a few of them haven't "made things look better nor have they helped disadvantaged people" either, but I still walked away with the feeling like I had helped out.

Why would anyone who isn't a boater find being asked to gather data in anyway sinister? They possibly have no idea what the data is for or if they do perhaps have no idea of the implications. They may have been told and believe it is necessary to weed out (choose the rule breaking term you wish) which are a problem for CRT. Under those circumstances I can imagine a number would volunteer particularly if they are of the mind set which doesn't want boats tied up giving off smoke etc. A few bad experiences with coal burning stoves and late running generators could provide a number of volunteers.

People with an axe to grind. That would make sense

But that kind of person is also possibly prone to having an agenda which could lead to incorrect data. And can they be bribed? If its not a paid job maybe a little beer money under the table would help.

All very silly IMO

If you bothered to read my website you'd realise this behaviour by CRT/BW has been going on for years and I have been challenging them about it.

Maybe if a few more people challenged them instead of just muttering on a forum it would not be so easy for them to target the few who do.

Those of you who put up with, and endorse, their behavior are a disgrace. Probably a member of a boat club - who are the most active 'spies'

Read what I've written. You will learn something and stop talking round and round in circles. It's boring and pointless.

FFS wake up.

• Greenie 1

If you bothered to read my website you'd realise this behaviour by CRT/BW has been going on for years and I have been challenging them about it.

Maybe if a few more people challenged them instead of just muttering on a forum it would not be so easy for them to target the few who do.

Those of you who put up with, and endorse, their behavior are a disgrace. Probably a member of a boat club - who are the most active 'spies'

Read what I've written. You will learn something and stop talking round and round in circles. It's boring and pointless.

FFS wake up sheeple!

I've fixed your rant for you. Now you sound like a proper enlightened truth giver.

About these volunteer data collectors. I would understand in hotspot problem areas...CRT may need help, but I'm current at the summit of the Pennines. There are no moorings up here, just various spots where you might be able to get your boat close enough to stop...and 1 water point in 15miles. When I arrived, a volunteer guy with hi vis jacket approached, and gave me his phone number and said...if I need any help, just to call. I saw him introducing himself as the volunteer lock keeper for this section to some other boaters this morning, ..all very good. So normally I would be happy to chat to this guy, and welcome him to my world....except....yesterday...an official CRT guy in a hi-vis jacket asked me for my index number........and today...the volunteer guy is still walking up and down this same pound....and I may be wrong...but he seemed to be writing down boat numbers........which has gotten my back up. Maybe he wasn't....but I'm moored at the far end of a long pound, and he walked up to the back of my boat....gave my boat a once over...and walked back again......

how far do I need to travel to find somewhere Big Brother is not watching me :)

how far do I need to travel to find somewhere Big Brother is not watching me smile.png

I'm not finding this at all funny. I go boating for relaxation, not to be recorded, watched, snooped on.

Richard

About these volunteer data collectors. I would understand in hotspot problem areas...CRT may need help, but I'm current at the summit of the Pennines. There are no moorings up here, just various spots where you might be able to get your boat close enough to stop...and 1 water point in 15miles. When I arrived, a volunteer guy with hi vis jacket approached, and gave me his phone number and said...if I need any help, just to call. I saw him introducing himself as the volunteer lock keeper for this section to some other boaters this morning, ..all very good. So normally I would be happy to chat to this guy, and welcome him to my world....except....yesterday...an official CRT guy in a hi-vis jacket asked me for my index number........and today...the volunteer guy is still walking up and down this same pound....and I may be wrong...but he seemed to be writing down boat numbers........which has gotten my back up. Maybe he wasn't....but I'm moored at the far end of a long pound, and he walked up to the back of my boat....gave my boat a once over...and walked back again......

how far do I need to travel to find somewhere Big Brother is not watching me smile.png

Travelling in a boat the same colour as your Avatar is just asking for trouble.

There will be preconceived ideas about people in purple boats.

How long before people start cloning registration numbers?

It's an unfortunate fact of life that if everyone diligently obeys all the rules the powers that be see that as a sign that folk are getting away with something and therefore the rules are too lax, the only thing that seems to work is to create a hard rock for the authorities to back away from. I'm no lover of the French but I do think they sometimes have the best approach to these things.

I'm not finding this at all funny. I go boating for relaxation, not to be recorded, watched, snooped on.

Richard

i go along with this also. One or two prominent contributors to the forum have spent a great deal of time and money trying to engage CRT in conversation and meetings. This it seems was to no avail.

It also seems that since making it clear CRT don't want this dialogue, some underhand tactics have become evident. Why don't CRT just tell us their intentions and objectives for the future of the nations heritage.

Martyn

Richard

I don't suppose you drive or walk around a town centre to be watched recorded or snooped on but you are. I have been known to drive into the countryside for relaxation but I know I will have been recorded at least once.

Think unemployed traffic warden (Sorry, they're called Civil Enforcement Officers now), who is missing their job after the cuts got them.

I don't suppose you drive or walk around a town centre to be watched recorded or snooped on but you are. I have been known to drive into the countryside for relaxation but I know I will have been recorded at least once.

Now that might just be one of the reasons some of us came to the canals as a haven away from all that.

And you're happy you have to go through this?

I'm very much against the idea of volunteer mooring wardens/licence checkers/ "data collectors" or whatever CRT is calling them today.

But unless a problem comes up that says I have overstayed when I haven't or something, I don't think I can really say I have "gone through" anything. I engaged the dudes in conversation each time as I wanted to know what they were doing and why, but if I wasn't outside working I wouldn't even have been aware of their passing unless they made an error that later affected me.

I am glad I found out that there are volunteers doing this role, and virtually daily in some places- I didn't know that before, but I certainly don't like it!

CRT should just ask all boaters to write down the index number of any boat which passes them, or which they pass....and get a small discount on their licence for every 100 they submit.

Simples.

I'm very much against the idea of volunteer mooring wardens/licence checkers/ "data collectors" or whatever CRT is calling them today.

But unless a problem comes up that says I have overstayed when I haven't or something, I don't think I can really say I have "gone through" anything. I engaged the dudes in conversation each time as I wanted to know what they were doing and why, but if I wasn't outside working I wouldn't even have been aware of their passing unless they made an error that later affected me.

I am glad I found out that there are volunteers doing this role, and virtually daily in some places- I didn't know that before, but I certainly don't like it!

I was initially comfortable with the CRTs intention of focussing on boats that travelled less than 5Kms in 12 months in concentrated areas which I had misguidedly understood was to be the principle drive the idea being them to move in a range of 20kms. We seem to have moved from this to the extent that I almost feel harassed when out on the boat, twice a volunteer has asked me how long I intend to stay on a visitor mooring (both times when I was comfortably within the stay period) and recently one knocked on the boat several times to tell me he couldn't see my license.

I can see a circumstance where a boater perhaps gets abusive resulting in him being logged incorrectly and being charged/fined £25 or similar , I hope I'm wrong . This is a conversation I had in a pub not that long ago with some fellow boaters one of whom was also a volunteer.

Oh my god is this new action from C&RT going to cause the end of the world?

No I thought not.

• Greenie 1

You have a home mooring. As such you can't stay in the same place for more than 14 days. Beyond that, don't cause an obstruction, moor like a selfish swine on water points and generally avoid being a dick and all is good. This isn't just my opinion, it's the law as well.

serious question:

where does the law say that boats with a home mooring can't stay in the same place for more than 14 days? I'm aware that the license T&Cs say that but have never seen a waterways act or associated document which says it.