Minimum distance? The enforcement officers have it in black and white.

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Point taken, John. My deep feeling is to carry on and face any accusations if and when they occur.

Do they always write by mail to alleged offenders? I don't see my mail from one month to the next. Which may well be a good thing. Perhaps they email continuous leisure boaters.

Martyn

I personally have got beyond the point of caring and if needed will have my day in court.

I have left my boat for 10 days as I attend to other matters. I am forced to leave it on time restricted mooring this time as 14 day moorings are just to far from bus services and figured as no other boaters were moored on this long stretch of moorings I would not be spoiling anyone else's opportunity to moor. I now refuse to phone CRT to beg for permission I am just getting on with my life.

CRT can try as hard as they like to spoil my enjoyment of a life I love but I will not be beaten!!!

Edited by cotswoldsman
  • Greenie 4

Of course what you could do is take your licence plates off and send them to a friend 200 miles away and swap for a month.

Not that I would ever do that of course :)

Their email response Monday will be interesting, I will post it up.

Indeed. There is a boat at Bulls Bridge on a private mooring. Last week whilst we were watering up, another boat pulled up and moaned about said boat never moving. I said it was a private mooring with a notice to that effect if he looked and the moaning boater said "that can't be right!"

If it's the one I think you mean, he's lived on a boat there all his life.

Of course what you could do is take your licence plates off and send them to a friend 200 miles away and swap for a month.

Not that I would ever do that of course smile.png

Not that I would ever do that of course smile.png

I like that idea. Boaters could fix temporary covers over their boat names and each obtain a number of different, legitimate licence plate numbers. If someone co ordinated this centrally a number of boaters could stay in their out of the way, not harming anyone else places, swapping licence plates every 2 weeks. Boaters would be happy as would be CRT, as their records would say that they have succeeded in their drive to get boaters moving. Win win, all the way.

Surely you have no need to worry about this 6 month licence thingy. They look at your movements 2 months before the license is due and if they consider you have moved sufficiently in those 10 months whilst off any mooring they issue an annual licence. I cannot see you will have any problems. I would be tempted to drop an email to them explaining for personal reasons you need to be within travelling distance of a railway station for 2 weeks. After that you will be moving on or just have a friendly word with the EO.

Hey! CaRnT! Here's an idea.

When you send out licence reminders, include a list of that boat's sightings.

Then both parties can see if there are any discrepancies.

Rob....

Failing that, we should be able to access a data base through password into a boat's account to find out the level of sightings. Disclosure of sightings should be a fair and reasonable thing to expect. Similarly to the need for defence in a trial having access to the information that will be used against them. But, you cannot defend yourself if there's no knowing what makes for an acceptable log.

Another irony to the situation is that when we get to the place we are going, 106 miles away I need to make sure we get clocked. The only way to guarantee that is to overstay until someone tells me I have been clocked. How else can it be done?

Yet I can see why they don't tell you when you will be clocked otherwise you could stay far longer than you are supposed to.

Another irony to the situation is that when we get to the place we are going, 106 miles away I need to make sure we get clocked. The only way to guarantee that is to overstay until someone tells me I have been clocked. How else can it be done?

Yet I can see why they don't tell you when you will be clocked otherwise you could stay far longer than you are supposed to.

Unless it was a super slick system, which it isn't, I wouldn't expect sightings to show up immediately, or even for a few days. You'd still be using your own judgement to keep within the rule. Access to a data base for your boat is giving you the information to adjust the way you cruise, before triggering a letter. It would also allow you to flag up mistakes in the frequency of their sightings.

Edited by Higgs

Surely you have no need to worry about this 6 month licence thingy. They look at your movements 2 months before the license is due and if they consider you have moved sufficiently in those 10 months whilst off any mooring they issue an annual licence. I cannot see you will have any problems. I would be tempted to drop an email to them explaining for personal reasons you need to be within travelling distance of a railway station for 2 weeks. After that you will be moving on or just have a friendly word with the EO.

What a boat does or doesn't do while off its mooring is completely irrelevant. There's only 2 questions CRT can ask about a boat with a home mooring - is it insured and does it have a BSC - if the answer to those questions is yes then they have to issue a 12 month licence whether they like it or not.

I see no reason to give them any quarter at all and as someone with a home mooring wouldn't even entertain the idea of justifying movements to them unless they wish to use a bye law to prosecute for overstaying they can take their letters and shove them.

• Greenie 1

We are presently just North of Bugworth on the GU. Facing towards Whilton. We travelled South from Whilton area over the past couple of days or so. We are now heading our intended direction up the Oxford,Coventry and Trent & Mersey and plan to be In the Liverpool area,not actually Liverpool you understand, for this coming winter months.

C&RT may take up this idea . . . . . you've just made two 'places' between the top of Stoke and the bottom of Buckby into one. You could have just let someone in for a letter about overstaying at Bugblisbrookworth.

You will get clocked on the way possibly when you stop. If you are that worried keep a log and any shop reciepts as you go.

Quit worrying, catch the train and get back to cruising.

C&RT may take up this idea . . . . . you've just made two 'places' between the top of Stoke and the bottom of Buckby into one. You could have just let someone in for a letter about overstaying at Bugblisbrookworth.

in March we were happily cruising towards the North. We had got to Burton on Trent. Friends convinced us to act as hotel for them to go to the Crick show. So we diverted via Shardlow and the Soar to Crick. As we were South we thought we would do the Southern GU. So that is what we were doing. Until yesterday when we changed our minds and have turned to go North.

Not sure if you are just being humorous or being serious.

If it's the one I think you mean, he's lived on a boat there all his life.

No excuse.

He should put a big sign on his roof letting all those itinerant moaners know that he has an official paid for mooring.

This will allow the ****** of this world to mutter and splutter at a new target.

Edited by DeanS
site guidelines

in March we were happily cruising towards the North. We had got to Burton on Trent. Friends convinced us to act as hotel for them to go to the Crick show. So we diverted via Shardlow and the Soar to Crick. As we were South we thought we would do the Southern GU. So that is what we were doing. Until yesterday when we changed our minds and have turned to go North.

Not sure if you are just being humorous or being serious.

He is being humorous, it was your typo of Bugworth that he is mentioning.

The enforcement volunteers are a new one on me, I met my first one yesterday. He wore a CRT logo'd shirt and formal ID badge stating his name and "Volunteer Moorings Warden."

He was checking licences and stay times along the Braunston stretch. He had a list of boats previously sighted there, presumably with the sighting date, and he checked my licence number and asked how much longer I would be staying. I asked to see what he had on his sheet regarding my boat, but he wouldn't show me.

He was very pleasant and friendly, but I must admit I didn't know that volunteers were now performing these sorts of tasks. He did suggest that I move up from my current spot to a 14 day mooring, and I pointed out that I was already on a 14 day mooring and was within the signs that say so, which he agreed with. I am a bit worried that, had I not seen him, I may have been registered as being on a 48 hour mooring and ergo, having already overstayed.

You probably are already noted as overstaying.

if some CART authorised bod came & asked me when i would be moving on and then lied to me about the time limits where i was moored and told me to move I'd be shooting off a complaint email

I'd also be taking photos of where you are and noting down his name and the conversation where he agreed with you

He may have been nice and pleasant and it may have been a genuine mistake by him but if the cockwombles in the enforcement office (who know full well how sketchy their sightings data is) have you down as overstaying then you're going to have to prove otherwise

The guy didn't tell me to move, he just asked when I would be moving. He didn't tell me I had overstayed, and conceded that I was on the 14 day stretch when I pointed out the sign.

I just had another one through, a lady this time who again took down my boat name and licence details, and informed me that when volunteer cover is available, they check this stretch daily.

I suspect that the data that the volunteers collate goes back to George in the Stop House, whom I would hope has a more thorough understanding of the stay times along the different stretches of canal here. I have taken a picture today with a date stamp on it that shows both the stern of my boat and the sign with the arrow that I am inside of marked as 14 day moorings!

Edited by Starcoaster

We do stay in one place,if we like it or being lazy, for the time limits, but generally move on as that is what we do.

I'm not the sort to confront.

I honestly feel uncomfortable with all this. I realise I'm not breaking any rules,but equally I don't want to get onto the radar so to speak.

If someone from CRT drew me into a conversation and explain their proposals,openly, then in my opinion I would know if I'm okay or not. I think I am.

Martyn

PS. I like the idea of writing to the MP as suggested.

Whole heatedly agree with all of the above.

We don't really have a cruising "pattern" sometimes we move daily then sometimes we stay longer, but always move within 14 days if on that type of mooring.

In my heart of hearts, I know we abide by and fulfill our commitment to our license with no home mooring T&C's. However, I do worry that things are changing without proper notification.

Other than what I've read on the forum & facebook I was completely unaware of volunteer boat checkers, & the "a move must consist of a min of 1km". I've had no emails from CRT notify us of either of these things.

Even though we did over 700 miles (not lock miles) in the last 5 months of last year, and over 300 so far this year, I'm pretty sure there were a couple of times last year (winter) that a move might not have been quite 1km

I really don't mean for this post to imply or have the tone of "I'm alright Jack, so no need to worry" but obviously have concerns about things being changed without proper notification from CRT.

I just wish the powers that be, would let us know what they expect and stop moving the goal posts, whereby letting us get on with enjoying this wonderful lifestyle we are so fortunate to have.

I actually felt a twinge of guilt when cruising through London, thinking of all those poor people who have to live in apartments while constantly listening to a busy street outside or planes flying overhead; the only green space being a walk to the nearest public park, when we are constantly surrounded by green space, their neighbors making much more noise than ours being the moorhens, geese, swans & ducks

I just had another one through, a lady this time who again took down my boat name and licence details, and informed me that when volunteer cover is available, they check this stretch daily.

I suspect that the data that the volunteers collate goes back to George in the Stop House, whom I would hope has a more thorough understanding of the stay times along the different stretches of canal here. I have taken a picture today with a date stamp on it that shows both the stern of my boat and the sign with the arrow that I am inside of marked as 14 day moorings!

And you're happy you have to go through this?

i suspect the data just gets logged as something like "Braunston - 48hr mooring" or "Braunston - other"

By the time it gets to the office they don't know exactly where you are

I have been in Braunston since Wednesday. I have moored in 3 different locations, all of which are 48 hour moorings. Will be interesting to see if anyone comments or takes action.

The length of your travels cannot be determined for the period of your licence until it is due to be renewed. I don't know what this 1Km rule is all about, but it sounds daft. If you stop at every 48hr mooring on a 365 Km journey, what is the problem.

I have been in Braunston since Wednesday. I have moored in 3 different locations, all of which are 48 hour moorings. Will be interesting to see if anyone comments or takes action.

Yes seen your boat.

Boats moored on the flight, just below the Admiral Nelson and lower down are 14 day. So what happens when a boat leaves there and moors by the Boat pub which is 48hrs. Are these two places. Could a boat be in 14 days and move to the 48 giving 16 days

in Braunston area.