Minimum distance? The enforcement officers have it in black and white.

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

My boat was tagged at Littleborough yesterday. I've just filled up with water. There's no water point anywhere between my mooring in Manchester, and the summit. I can't go over the summit as it's too far to get back to work, and no winding points. I don't want to return to my marina for a good while yet. So I guess I'll be working out a precision plan based on 1km increments, so I keep moving.....up to Walsden.....14days...then all the way back to SmithyBridge....a few miles...and wait 14days...then travel back to Littleborough....for 14days....and then to Walsden for 14days...and then ALLLLL the way back to SmithyBridge for 14 days....and so on...until I decide I'll go back to my marina...

I have to do this, to keep the boat topped up with water.....at least every 2 weeks....(a mean feat on it's own...I think I can probably make it to about 9days)

Anyone see a problem with this? If so, I don't care...I'm not going back to my marina till after the school holidays.....

at the worst..if I get an automated letter......can I fill up at Littleborough...high tail it down to the Rose of Lancaster...have an ice cream....sit pretty for a few days till my waters running low...and then high tail it back up to Littleborough to fill up again...

This is all so confusing ;-)

;-)

eta....forgot to mention that the water was very low when I was coming up so going down to the Rose of Lancaster is a last resort for sure...although the ice cream was lovely.

You have a home mooring. As such you can't stay in the same place for more than 14 days. Beyond that, don't cause an obstruction, moor like a selfish swine on water points and generally avoid being a dick and all is good. This isn't just my opinion, it's the law as well.

I think I'd just do what you want to do.

If you have been below the "Riser",and now wish to move up to the town, then just do it. As long as neither stay exceeds 14 days, I

I think I'd just do what you want to do.

If you have been below the "Riser",and now wish to move up to the town, then just do it. As long as neither stay exceeds 14 days, I don't think they have any authority to do much about it.

You will be one of a great number all doing something similar, and they ain't going to go after you all.

This really is getting daft, isn't it.

(Berkhamsted resident, fed up with all this nonsense).

Mr F. You are taking the p. I mean it.

You subtly left out the p whilst spilling Berko correctly. :)

Edited by mark99

Its all utterly ridiculous, and more importantly, selective.

There are two boats that have hovered around berkhampstead since last September, yet neither have had any issues.

The op is being treated as a "soft target", looks good on the sheets, because the enforcement guy knows very well that the boat will leave the area in good time.

The whole thing is becoming a complete joke, and before long, home moorers will be getting the same treatment.

very true...the guy on the water point at Littleborough is a permanent feature of the area...lol He's not in the way, there's space for others....but just wondering how he's gotten away with it...I think it's because he doesn't have his index number showing, and he's on the offside, so no one can get to him. It's a bit silly actually, because there are much better places for him to moor in the area....next to the elsan point is not really the best place to stay I wouldn't think.

so yes, I'm beginning to think the secret is to make things as difficult to be identified as possible....if you were trying to be naughty that is..which I'm not.

I found this CRT pdf from 2012...it made interesting reading.....and I'm going to print out some of it in case someone knocks on my boat...specifically the bits about place...in a rural context....meaning one village or another....smile.png

That document makes interesting reading. I need to study it further there seems to be some important points in it.

Greg with the boat at Durn in littleborough is on a paid for offside mooring, he's been there for a good few years, there used to be more, either side of the sani station moorings. You may well be able to wind in pound 35/36 as long as it is full, if you want to go just over summit. I'ts at least a mile from littleborough. I'm going to the Littleborough Adopt a canal group working party tomorrow morning so will pop in and say hello if you are in. As for "further than walsden being too far" it's only a few minutes extra by car or train from Todmorden, if you can't wind at the sani point you will be able to wind at baltimore marina , 1 lock down from there. Looks like there's a fat boat staying in tod sani for 14 days, passed him coming up as I was going down a couple of weeks ago, he is facing downhill tho so he must have turned there. He did say he was coming over the top. At the end of the day you are making a progressive journey out and back from your home mooring. What's the cod latin quote Nil ilegitimus carborundum or summat?

edit to say google is our friend, Illegitimi non carborundum

Edited by Jim Riley

Greg with the boat at Durn in littleborough is on a paid for offside mooring

This is exactly the problem in assuming that someone is mooring 'illegally'. There are so many possibilities that knowing them all is nigh on impossible

Perhaps it's better to assume that people are actually following the rules

It's certainly less stressful

Richard

It is plainly evident that CRT are intent in pursuing this ludicrous idea, and I am sure any 'customers' complaints will be completely ignored.

However, how about making complaints to the 'organ grinder'. I'm sure if enough people made complaints in a measured and non-whinging way in sufficient numbers, it may ... just may ... cause questions to be asked. It's worth a try.

Send your complaints to:

Sir Tony Baldry MP

Chair All Party Parliamentary Group for the Waterways

House of Commons

London

SW1AA 0AA

After all, their supposed remit is to "To consider matters relating to the system of navigable rivers and canals in the UK, estuaries and lakes upon which boating takes place, and associated activities. The coast and open sea are specifically excluded from the interests of the group."

• Greenie 1

This is exactly the problem in assuming that someone is mooring 'illegally'. There are so many possibilities that knowing them all is nigh on impossible

Perhaps it's better to assume that people are actually following the rules

It's certainly less stressful

Richard

Well said that man

I agree. I didn't know that moorings at the top of the Pennines exist...and on a water point as well.....lucky guy....but why then did the CRT guy take a photo of his boat this morning...and no one elses.....very strange.

Indeed. There is a boat at Bulls Bridge on a private mooring. Last week whilst we were watering up, another boat pulled up and moaned about said boat never moving. I said it was a private mooring with a notice to that effect if he looked and the moaning boater said "that can't be right!"

Edited by mark99

Read my post 32, it's happening already.

And when you really think about it, utterly bonkers. We always keep a log and now we take photos of every mooring. Imagine if this had to be applied to other activities?

Imagine, if on my visit to Leighton Buzzard this aft, I wasnt allowed to visit Tesco and Aldi as they are less than 1km apart! :D and had to take a selfie outside every shop.

The cruisers we hang around with in the summer boat a lot, they love boating, they will cruise up and down the river, once, twice even three times a day - to the pub, to the shop, to collect firewood. Not all of them live onboard, some of them stick the boat in a marina over winter, this makes sense as there is flooding. They are now getting letters and are being told this is unacceptable and being told they cannot enjoy boating up and down like that and they have to cruise further, which for them means going to congested London, which they don't want to do. A lot of people are saying, enough! And selling up.

Edited by Lady Muck

And when you really think about it, utterly bonkers. We always keep a log and now we take photos of every mooring. Imagine if this had to be applied to other activities?

Imagine, if on my visit to Leighton Buzzard this aft, I wasnt allowed to visit Tesco and Aldi as they are less than 1km apart! biggrin.png and had to take a selfie outside every shop.

The cruisers we hang around with in the summer boat a lot, they love boating, they will cruise up and down the river, once, twice even three times a day - to the pub, to the shop, to collect firewood. Not all of them live onboard, some of them stick the boat in a marina over winter, this makes sense as there is flooding. They are now getting letters and are being told this is unacceptable and being told they cannot enjoy boating up and down like that and they have to cruise further, which for them means going to congested London, which they don't want to do. A lot of people are saying, enough! And selling up.

For me, this is an inevitable and highly predictable unintended consequence. I have a home mooring, and when I'm out on the boat never stay long in one place - we don't boat like that. And I'm beginning to get paranoid about getting letters!

If I'm in that position, I can see a whole lot of compliant boaters getting very, very upset about receiving letters based on poor data

Richard

Imagine, if on my visit to Leighton Buzzard this aft, I wasnt allowed to visit Tesco and Aldi as they are less than 1km apart! :D and had to take a selfie outside every shop.

If you do that and go to Waitrose then back to Tesco as you forgot the 10 litres of "table water" you wanted will you then be a compliant continuous shopper or would you be putting yourself "on the radar" for enforcement as you were not out bona fide for shopping? This convenient shopping pattern may well be against the rules and you may for example have to visit Tesco in Wolverton followed by a trip back to Tesco in Tring before being allowed to shop at Tesco LB again. If you were to disappear and shop at Tesco in Reading or Bulls bridge while the gps logger is there you may then get away with starting your previous pattern but the days of convenient shopping are numbered :rolleyes:

• Greenie 2

We are presently just North of Bugworth on the GU. Facing towards Whilton. We travelled South from Whilton area over the past couple of days or so. We are now heading our intended direction up the Oxford,Coventry and Trent & Mersey and plan to be In the Liverpool area,not actually Liverpool you understand, for this coming winter months.

We had mechanical problems at Norton Junction a month or so ago. I informed CRT. We have not had trouble. We do stay in one place,if we like it or being lazy, for the time limits, but generally move on as that is what we do. I have met these volunteer patrol chaps. One was a bit evasive as to what he was doing stating he was monitoring boat movement,to see how many boats are about. I'm not sure if I believed him. I'm not the sort to confront.

I honestly feel uncomfortable with all this. I realise I'm not breaking any rules,but equally I don't want to get onto the radar so to speak.

It would be good if CRT issued a map similar to one that escaped a year of so ago showing areas and zones. Seems it a guessing game. 'WE' guessing what's coming next. Lack of communication from CRT is not helping.

If someone from CRT drew me into a conversation and explain their proposals,openly, then in my opinion I would know if I'm okay or not. I think I am.

Martyn

PS. I like the idea of writing to the MP as suggested.

Edited by Nightwatch

For me, this is an inevitable and highly predictable unintended consequence. I have a home mooring, and when I'm out on the boat never stay long in one place - we don't boat like that. And I'm beginning to get paranoid about getting letters!

If I'm in that position, I can see a whole lot of compliant boaters getting very, very upset about receiving letters based on poor data

Richard

Unintended consequences?

Richard not following you arround d promise but at present you make some interesting points.

We are presently just North of Bugworth on the GU. Facing towards Whilton. We travelled South from Whilton area over the past couple of days or so. We are now heading our intended direction up the Oxford,Coventry and Trent & Mersey and plan to be I. The Liverpool area,not actually Liverpool you understand, for this coming winter months.

We had mechanical problems at Norton Junction a month or so ago. I informed CRT. We had not trouble. We do stay in one place,if we like it or being lazy, for the time limits, but generally move on as that is what we do. I have met these volunteer patrol chaps. One was a bit evasive as yo what he was doing stating he was monitoring boat movement,to see how many boats are about. I'm not sure if I believed him. I'm not the sort to confront.

I honestly feel uncomfortable with all this. I realise I'm not breaking any rules,but equally I don't want to get onto the radar so to speak.

It would be good if CRT issued a map similar to one that escaped a year of so ago showing areas and zones. Seems it a guessing game. 'WE' guessing what's coming next. Lack of communication from CRT is not helping.

If someone from CRT drew me into a conversation and explain their proposals,openly, then in my opinion I would know if I'm okay or not. I think I am.

Martyn

Please NO map I like most just want to get on with my life and not have to study maps and lots of bits of paper

Richard

hopefully some will be the "if you haven't done anything wrong you don't have anything to worry about" posters on here

Point taken, John. My deep feeling is to carry on and face any accusations if and when they occur.

Do they always write by mail to alleged offenders? I don't see my mail from one month to the next. Which may well be a good thing. Perhaps they email continuous leisure boaters.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

One of my boats came under enforcement last year. They attached notices with cable ties and wrote me a letter (to an old address - my license comes to the new address but someone used an old database to pull my details which were wrong)

If they are going to be this organised they do need to get things right IMO. Would be very easy to get a BW registration number wrong by one digit causing all sorts of aggregation. Maybe a Google camerabike could be ridden slowly down the towpath every 2 or 3 days :lol: