Braunston Historic Narrow Boat Rally - 27Th & 28Th June.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

We have had a great time, but been busy enough to take few pictures of our own.

So who has any, please, or can anybody point at other places where some are available.

i will upload mine when I get home on the weekend. Managed to take a few from Adamant and Badger.

Thanks to George for the trip round the parade on Badger.

Just seen Dove, Towcester, Southern Cross and Bletchley go past my garden. It's like having my own private parade :)

Edited to add Stanton as well.

Edited again because Ibex has just gone past.

Edited by cuthound

I couldn't get to the festival because of work and then other wonderful happenings so it has been a pleasure to have had a cavalcade of boats come past today whilst I have been working on mine.

Lots of happy and cheerful people bar one who refused to look sideways as she sat on the roof of a boat that spends most of its life at Stoke Bruerne, the rest of the crew said hello or waved though.

Yeah, I am not a fan of crowds, either. We wandered down to the turn for the main parade which was much less crowded. smile.png

We had a great day, although my camera was left behind, so I didn't get to take pictures. Ronnie the Border Terrierist says a special thanks to the lovely lady on Sickle, whose treat-filled handbag made him attempt to move in with you. Edit: Starcoaster, that wouldn't be your dog-friendly handbag, would it?!

That would be me! :D Was he the Border who came into the cabin on Flamingo, or was that another one? There were a goodly number of Border terrorists there!

OK, here's a question for the historians of the forum...

using the pic above, just posted by Ray; is the front 6 - 8 feet of the cargo well completely covered with tarp and the rest of the load is left open to the elements at the top? It's the same with all of the front 4 boats.

They are all horse boats quite fully loaded. With the side cloths up it is possible to increase the load. The front portion is probably where the horses fodder is kept which needs keeping dry. The cratch area. The word cratch is derived from the French creche, meaning a manger where hay was kept.

manger
noun: manger · plural noun: mangers

a long trough from which horses or cattle feed.

Others may know more.

The photo is one of a series from the Boaters Strike in 1923.

http://www.braunston.org.uk/org.aspx?n=1923-Braunston-Canalboat-Strike-Memorial-Committee

Full description here: http://www.steamershistorical.co.uk/Web_FMC_Steamers/The%20canal%20boatmen%27s%20strike.pdf

Digressing even more another way of increasing coal loads was to put "slack boards" up.

Sorry gone smiley_offtopic.gif .

Edited by Ray T

OK, have managed to at least get a selection of our photos into a Facebook album.

It should be possible, I think, for non Facebook users to see these, without actually needing to create a Facebook account.

(Please advise if you find otherwise!)

Linky to album

We have had a great time, but been busy enough to take few pictures of our own.

So who has any, please, or can anybody point at other places where some are available.

Megan has several at least two of which include you Alan. When I get time I'll have a look and post a few.

Megan has several at least two of which include you Alan. When I get time I'll have a look and post a few.

That would be great. I'm really looking forward to those that people have, but not yet published.

Our best Braunston in many years, but exhausted now, and still with two boats to get home!

OK, have managed to at least get a selection of our photos into a Facebook album.

It should be possible, I think, for non Facebook users to see these, without actually needing to create a Facebook account.

Linky to album

I just get a message 'currently unavailable'

Linky to album

Thanks for this lovely series of photos Alan, it must have been a great day, pitty I couldn't go there to see it through my own eyes.

Peter.

was just wondering in the above picture - why has the boat 2nd from right got a chimney on the front? thankyou for posting, i am also unable to access the facebook link on Alans post.

Because the boat has a fore cabin (generally where children of large family's would sleep)

Darren

Linky to album

I just get the facebook log in page.

I just get a message 'currently unavailable'

i am also unable to access the facebook link on Alans post.

It asks me to login (using Blackberry).

Strange news.

They are posted in a public group, and it has worked in the past.

I can't immediately see any settings I can tweak, and I have no other obvious way of quickly getting 40 or so photos visible in an album.

Does anybody know what, if anything, I can change. It seems people are not even seeing the same failure reason!

Browsing through these excellent snaps I was interested to see a tug marked "British Waterways Tardebigge No. 7". We saw this boat at Cropredy a couple of weekends ago, when it was presumably on its way to Braunston. I said to Mrs. Athy that it bore a resemblance to the Stewarts & Lloyds tugs apart from the livery. Does anyone know anything about it?

Is there any option to ignore that, and view as a guest.

Trouble is I can't test it, as I am a Facebook user.

You should be able to if you log out of FB and disable auto log in

AFAIK there is no guest status on FB

• Greenie 1