Braunston Historic Narrow Boat Rally - 27Th & 28Th June.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I should perhaps explain. We came back from Braunston with Sculptor and I'd turned the Kelvin off when we came down Buckby tied together.

Kathryn snapped the rare couple of seconds of smokiness as the engine started up in the bottom lock.

Eta Kathryn beat me to it!

I know KK & Leo No2..............the engine had just fired...............otherwise the .....................would have been higher and also KK, Owl is carrying that heavy fender back for me (I hope)!

At least we shall have some good Welsh steam coal smoke tomorrow at Prestwood and I am sure you will catch one or 2 Gardners working hard.

L.

L.

I've checked with the Parade Director, and the parades are due to start at 10am. and 2pm. Sorry for the mistake.

Regarding "pilots". Braunston Marina insurance requires that a member of the Marina staff be on board boats passing through the Marina. Not to take charge, just to direct the steerer where to go as there are a few sharp turns involved.( And to cover the Marina in case of accident)This applies to boats not taking part in the parades.

If the steerer of a boat refuses to accept a pilot, they must wait until the one way restrictions are lifted at the end of the parade.

That's the official ruling. I'm just passing on what I've been told. Hope this clarifies the situation

Just been reading this thread. I've never been there, and no intention of going. But is this stretch of water owned by some marina, or is it part of the system controlled by CRT.?. if the former I have no grouse to make if the latter, then I would be absolutely incandescent if someone outside CRT tried to control/limit my access to the canal. Just the way I take things

Just been reading this thread. I've never been there, and no intention of going. But is this stretch of water owned by some marina, or is it part of the system controlled by CRT.?. if the former I have no grouse to make if the latter, then I would be absolutely incandescent if someone outside CRT tried to control/limit my access to the canal. Just the way I take things

Both Marina water and CRT water is used. I really don't see an issue if Braunston Marina are putting on a event, with express permission of CRT, which celebrates the history of boating canals (and of course is the reason why we have the canals to enjoy today) for just two days a year. I am afraid that I fully support the event.

• Greenie 1

Are you sure you're actually cut out for the world of boating?

I have a feeling you're going to be another one of those 'angry boaters' we already have too many of!

(Edit to remove double quote.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

Are you sure you're actually cut out for the world of boating?

I have a feeling you're going to be another one of those 'angry boaters' we already have too many of!

(Edit to remove double quote.)

It's alright I'm a loner, and would avoid such gatherings like bubonic plague. I will study the what's on where, and make sure I'm not within a hundred lock miles

Sorry am I missing something here? If you have never been and have no intention of ever going, why comment in such a manner?

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Sorry am I missing something here? If you have never been and have no intention of ever going, why comment in such a manner?

He seems to be generally incandescent today:

Won't touch Android with a barge pole , it made by those t*ssers g**gle. Won't touch em since the China and search engine debacle
Windows nobody?

Perhaps it's the weather

Richard

In which case I daren't ask what Mr Larkshall thinks of Microsoft and Apple, for fear of prompting spontaneous ignition!

ninja.gif

Reports of a large but highly localised fire in the Riccall area shortly after you made your post MtB.

biggrin.png

In which case I daren't ask what Mr Larkshall thinks of Microsoft and Apple, for fear of prompting spontaneous ignition!

ninja.gif

As an inveterate Linux fan.... NO COMMENT ...Seriously though some good some ok some lousy in both.

PS put fire out in Riccall

I've given up trying to use mobile internet for uploading my pictures so I'll sort the rest out when I'm back home later smile.png

Belated thanks to Ian and Becky for assistance through Braunston locks on multiple occasions, including yesterday with "Sickle".

I look forward to any remaining pictures of the event - we don't seem to have taken many ourselves.

One of the few I hve dseen of us actually with the "new" boat out on the parade.....

Linky.

19416472661_759ce035bd_n.jpg

Perhaps potential photographers were worried that Starry's hair might crack the lens.

laugh.pnglaugh.png

Edited by David Schweizer

Finally got around to uploading a selection of the hundreds I took over the weekend!

https://flic.kr/s/aHskev5tbE

Spotted a few days later that the date was incorrect on my camera so I've corrected this also.

A number of pictures of Flamingo especially for the Finchers smile.png

Blimey, it looks even longer in the pictures that it does standing at the back end trying to "point" it in the right direction.....

19306335359_ccea0a946c_z.jpg

19496817821_dbb15c93d4_z.jpg

Can I add some of these to our blog, please Ian?

Edited by alan_fincher

Blimey, it looks even longer in the pictures that it does standing at the back end trying to "point" it in the right direction.....

19306335359_ccea0a946c_z.jpg

19496817821_dbb15c93d4_z.jpg

Don't worry Alan, there's a historical precedent for cutting a working boat in half and making one half into a hire cruiser if she's really too long for you.

But seriously, she looks most imposing.