Pillings Lock Moorings

dekker

Featured Posts

Better if you offered to pay annually in arrears then fobbed them off for a year or two, finally bleat on social media about how unfair it is of them demanding you pay them. Finally declare yourself bankrupt to avoid paying them anything... Granted its a bit extreme, but just imagine how satisfying it would be:-) :-) ;-)

What PLM has done in the past to boaters who owe them money, is to remove parts from the engine so as to disable it and prevent the boats removal before paying the debt.

What PLM has done in the past to boaters who owe them money, is to remove parts from the engine so as to disable it and prevent the boats removal before paying

the debt.

Absolutely shocking.

Illegal surely.

Absolutely shocking.

Illegal surely.

They argued it was a security measure (to the benefit of the owner) as it would make it difficult to steal.

One of the boat-movers (on this forum) had personal experience, he was hired to move a boat from Pillings, went to start it and something serious started to happen. Cannot remember what it was but it was something like the removal of the gearbox mounting bolts which would have resulted in SERIOUS expenditure.

Edit - Found the old post by "Fade to Scarlet"

So at the moment, we're delivering a boat for a forum member, back to Cambridge.

This boat has come out of Pilling's Lock.

We went up last Saturday to test the engine and ensure it was ready to leave yesterday, on Tuesday- not last week.

The engine would not initially start. I found that the umbilical cable between the control panel and the engine had been unplugged, but kept together so nothing appeared wrong.

We started the engine, but noticed that the PRM gearbox was chucking out oil in an alarming fashion, and it turned out that the control arm for the gearbox had been removed, causing the leak. The nut, washer and stud were still in place, but the actuating arm was missing.

The forum member went to talk to Roy, as he owed some money. Roy initially said (paraphrasing) "oh no, we wouldn't do a thing like that, but we might chain up a boat that owed money as people have left before". However, he rang the workshop, and it transpired that they had removed the gearbox arm, without permission, and had it. However, they stated that they would not be able to fit it until sometime next week, perhaps Wednesday.

I was able to fit it, and replace the oil in the gearbox, and we successfully had a cruise around the marina, once the bill was settled.

I asked Roy when the control arm had been removed, and he stated that it had been taken a year ago when the boat first arrived- but at that time, the owner of the boat did not owe any money at all! This was incorrect. It troubles me that the director of the business, and the manager of the marina, was unable to give me a correct explanation for this, as he is in charge and responsible.

Edit to add: allegedly, access was gained by Pillings staff to this boat subsequently to this from the legal acquisition of a set of keys. Roy Rollings did not mention this. There was no external sign that any parts had been removed, nothing to say "engine inoperable, contact marina office". The first sign that something was wrong with the engine was when it started spurting oil from the gearbox all over the engine bay- which, fortunately, was noticed before damage was done.

Deliberately sabotaging this customer's boat, in a way that could have caused a great deal of damage had the oil leak not been spotted, seems in my opinion a very poor way to do business indeed. A simple handwritten note, with the engine covers left up to show that something had been removed, would have prevented this.

In my opinion, if Pillings Lock believed that they were acting correctly and lawfully, they should not have gone about this with secrecy, pretence and subterfuge, which risked damage to the engine, but instead should have made it clear that parts had been removed, and that the boat was not operable.

Edited by FadeToScarlet, 10 April 2014 - 09:16 PM.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

They argued it was a security measure (to the benefit of the owner) as it would make it difficult to steal.

One of the boat-movers (on this forum) had personal experience, he was hired to move a boat from Pillings, went to start it and something serious started to happen. Cannot remember what it was but it was something like the removal of the gearbox mounting bolts which would have resulted in SERIOUS expenditure.

Sort of, they gained access to the boat by I think changing padlocks, loosened the wiring loom in the plug between panel and engine but kept it plugged together so the engine wouldn't start, and removed the actuating arm from the PRM gearbox. When I got there to ensure the boat worked before we removed it a few days later, and found the problem with the wiring loom, I re plugged that and started the engine.

The oil started coming freely out of the gearbox where the actuating arm was meant to be, but I didn't spot it at first; luckily my partner did before I dropped the engine boards, or the gearbox might have been run with no oil and damaged.

The boat owner approached Roy Rollings, who at first denied all knowledge, and said "it's not the sort of thing we do". The owner asked him to double check, and the gearbox arm was found in the office, in a labelled bag.

He offered to have the workshop refit it- whether they would charge for this wasn't discussed- but they wouldn't do it until after the date when I wanted to have removed the boat, so I refitted it myself just to be able to remove the boat.

Allegedly it was removed because previous boaters have left without paying; but, in my opinion, sabotaging a boat in a way not easily fixable to the average boater, and leaving it in such a way that the sabotage was not detectable, is underhand and sly.

To me, it seems a great contrast between how Pillings Lock behaved to one of their creditors, and how CRT behaved towards them.

If they had done that to my boat I am afraid I would be at her majesty's pleasure and the perpetrator would be in hospital.

shocking.

Expect a visit from the Police now with that remark...If anyone as much as starts an altercation with him he calls mummy to the boys in blue!!

Common thing that at the marina!

Bet that you have made him feel so distressed now!

I have fallen behind with the goings on at this marina and just wondered what criminal offence Mr Lillie? was convicted of and what punishment he recieved?

Thanks

Tim

Yes i'm sure that you are not alone waking up from a dream that finally life has caught up with him...Maybe that expression called Karma will get him first...One day!

Came past Pillings today.

Slowed down to have a look. Really slow. Looks okay I suppose. Good location. Looks a little bedraggled but reasonably occupied.

I still wouldn't moor there for all the money in PL account.

Martyn

I still wouldn't moor there for all the money in PL account.

Martyn

Never mind that, I wouldn't want to moor my boat in amongst a load of boaters willing to look the other way while they know the marina management is busy shafting CRT for hundreds of £k.

It's only a heartbeat away from being willing to handle stolen goods.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Expect a visit from the Police now with that remark...If anyone as much as starts an altercation with him he calls mummy to the boys in blue!!

Common thing that at the marina!

Bet that you have made him feel so distressed now!

Yes i'm sure that you are not alone waking up from a dream that finally life has caught up with him...Maybe that expression called Karma will get him first...One day!

What was it the judge did last time you tried to take us to court eh Dave? Oh yes, she told you you were ridiculous to carry on with your personal vendetta and awarded us £1500 damages (which you offered to pay at £5 per week being a poor pensioner)

Fact.

Can't believe you're still so wound up about the fact you had to leave us! Never mind, plenty more paces to moor eh?!

Edited by pillingslock
  • Greenie 2

What was it the judge did last time you tried to take us to court eh Dave? Oh yes, she told you you were ridiculous to carry on with your personal vendetta and awarded us £1500 damages (which you offered to pay at £5 per week being a poor pensioner)

Fact.

Can't believe you're still so wound up about the fact you had to leave us! Never mind, plenty more paces to moor eh?!

Nice, real nice.

I have seen pillings lock £1299 per year advertised. Are all the problems sorted now? Is it worth giving

this consideration?

What do you think?

Fact.

I think this post answers the OP rather neatly... tell us all Mr Lillie(Jr) - have you paid the latest installment of your NAA yet?

ETA And have you any actual PROOF of your nasty accusations Mr L(Jr)? As far as i can perceive from his posts regarding "your" marina, the overriding emotion seems to be relief to be away!

Edited by lampini

Fact.

Ooh! There'll be plenty of paces (sic) to moor at pillingslock with such sarky comments.

Fact.

Is that how you expect to do any business, making apparently nasty and vindictive comments?

Are you up to date with all your payments to CaRT?

• Greenie 1

I had a very nice Sunday lunch at the cafe in the Marina a few months ago and walk around the place before continuing my weekend.

Seems a really nice facility, interesting collection of boats, good slipway set up, sound looking pontoons, etc. Food from the cafe was excellent and a nice feel to the place in general.

So from that view point, I cant really fault it, and as, to an extent if you make sure the contract doesnt have any clangers in it involving you paying up front too much, I am sure you could do a lot worse and it seems a shame what appears to be a nice marina, in a nice area, not to be used.

As said, while I have never met Paul Lillie or any of his staff in person, what I have seen online is not great, and while you could spend all day debating how well BW/CRT managed the NAA payment and infact even if the rates where sensable in the first place, its certainly clear Pillings Lock did not go about it in a very civil way. This includes the way in which Paul has at times approached me about some content which has been posted on this forum.

Its very important, in the interested of fairness if nothing else, that the comments made in this thread are clearly either the personal opinions of members, other individuals, etc. or are facts that are accurate. However assuming this remains the case I see no reason for this thread to be removed.

Daniel

Pillings is certainly a good set up.

I do not agree the NAA charge as it is not a fair charge when other marinas do not pay it .

However the NAA was agreed to, the boaters paid their portions of it but He who must not be named chose to not pay it .

The NAA should be scrapped but marinas must then ensure that all boats in the water are licenced .

Then CRT will be able to compete with long term moorings but must have facilities in the locality for them.

• Greenie 1

Pillings is certainly a good set up.

I do not agree the NAA charge as it is not a fair charge when other marinas do not pay it .

However the NAA was agreed to, the boaters paid their portions of it but He who must not be named chose to not pay it .

The NAA should be scrapped but marinas must then ensure that all boats in the water are licenced .

Then CRT will be able to compete with long term moorings but must have facilities in the locality for them.

This was all argued ad infinitum in the previous Pillings Lock thread.

Provided they scrap end of garden charges at the same time, in the interests of fairness you understand, I am with you.

George ex nb Alton retired

In my personal opinion ( doffed cap to Dan), Pillings Lock Marina would be a fantastic success story without Paul Lillie and his cronies in charge.

I have both visited, used the facilities in the past, and know many boaters that have moored there ( almost the same number as have moored there and left because of Paul Lillie)

I have seen pillings lock £1299 per year advertised. Are all the problems sorted now? Is it worth giving

this consideration?

What do you think?

I think I will pass on PL then.

I just wondered if there had been a change of management but apparently not