mystery boat snooper in MK

onionbargee

Featured Posts

Now there is a business opportunity for someone, print the narrow boat version of a train spotters log book (can't remember who printed them) There is one for Eddie Stobard Trucks so why not. NB would be far more interesting and healthier than sitting in motorway car park.

Might even educate the youngsters. So who is in?

A "spotters" guide for CWDF members boats would I am sure prove useful.

That's a new one on me - synonymous with "gawping" I assume. Whereabouts are you from?

north west but live in Nottm, though it might have come from my mrs - Shropshire/welsh borders. Take your pick!

cf "beaking" - the action of a golden retriever getting between you and the laptop you're working on

Edited by The Toad in the Hole

Now there is a business opportunity for someone, print the narrow boat version of a train spotters log book (can't remember who printed them)

Ian Allan. he published his first "Locospotter's handbook" in 1942 and it made him a fortune.

48 hour moorings.

Now that prompts a question.

Here's the question.

If you arrive at 1400 on Monday, is your time up at 1359 on Wednesday?

Martyn

I've always assumed that, more or less. 48 hour mooring should be two nights, although if you arrive at 10pm I reckon you get three. I don't think boating works on an accurate clock system - at least, boatyards and engineers certainly don't, they work on what i always think of as narrowboat time in that the job gets done properly, but not necessarily quickly!

If I saw someone snooping and peering into our boat I would make a point of taking their photo, see if they make any comment can then question what they are doing

I've always assumed that, more or less. 48 hour mooring should be two nights, although if you arrive at 10pm I reckon you get three. I don't think boating works on an accurate clock system - at least, boatyards and engineers certainly don't, they work on what i always think of as narrowboat time in that the job gets done properly, but not necessarily quickly!

I would suggest the amount of time you 'get' would be exactly 48 hours like the sign says.

In reality the time you actually 'get' depends on the frequency/schedule of the monitoring of the site. Many months seems to have been quite common in the past. Possibly as little as just a few weeks before bad things begin to happen nowadays!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I would suggest the amount of time you 'get' would be exactly 48 hours like the sign says.

In reality the time you actually 'get' depends on the frequency/schedule of the monitoring of the site. Many months seems to have been quite common in the past. Posssibly as little as just a few weeks nowadays!

No, I think it has been explained in the past by CRT (when the whole SEVM thing was chuntering ) that in fact 48 hrs means two nights. This at first sight seems odd but in reality if you pitch up at a 48hr VM late afternoon, you wouldn't want to have to leave 48 hrs later as it would then be late afternoon and it would be difficult or at least a pain to have to find somewhere else to moor. So if that were the case a 48hr mooring would in effect be more like a 40 hr one. IIRC CRT's interpretation is that the clock starts ticking at midnight on the day of arrival.

Surely if the name and reg number is clearly displayed then apparently peering through windows should not be necessary, however, If the only name and number are on the licence paper stuck in a window a closer inspection is required whatever the reason the number is being sought.

Could be an odd villain who likes to commit crime in alphabetical or numeric order?

I had an idea for a holiday based on a similar idea, that we'd search for pubs called 'The Fox' (perhaps include The Fox and Hounds and suchlike too) and go and visit them all one by one - would be a good way to get to know England.

It's still on our list of things to do.

Surely if the name and reg number is clearly displayed then apparently peering through windows should not be necessary, however, If the only name and number are on the licence paper stuck in a window a closer inspection is required whatever the reason the number is being sought.

I am agreeing with this.

We were moored adjacent to the playing fields in Burton on Trent a few days ago. Two 'ladies' with their not so well behaved children walked past and they stopped at each window and the children were encouraged to look inside as the women cupped their eyes to have a skeg. (See another thread). At the last window I suddenly appeared and scared the living days of them.

Martyn

• Greenie 1

Ah but in order to note the expiry date on the licence a pedant might point out that peering through the window IS necessary, as the licence would normally be attached to the inside of the window glass.

:)

MtB

I am agreeing with this.

We were moored adjacent to the playing fields in Burton on Trent a few days ago. Two 'ladies' with their not so well behaved children walked past and they stopped at each window and the children were encouraged to look inside as the women cupped their eyes to have a skeg. (See another thread). At the last window I suddenly appeared and scared the living days of them.

Martyn

Quite right too. I was going to suggest keeping a Halloween mask handy but it sounds like you don't need onerolleyes.gif

Ian Allan. he published his first "Locospotter's handbook" in 1942 and it made him a fortune.

There's a list of boats on canalplanner - just print it out and away you go!

Someone here kindly made a list of Delph Marine- built boats and I printed the list so we are on the hunt for those.

Only seen Quebec on these forums so far.

I often look at other boats' hand rails on the roof but have not seen one that looks like ours.

I think the Llangollen moorings might be a bit different is as much as day time is free. so it is probably from 4pm to 4pm 2 days later even if you roll up at 10 am. NOTE. This is just my thoughts and not fact as I refuse to pay to moor overnight up there so have to leave at 4pm.

Ah but in order to note the expiry date on the licence a pedant might point out that peering through the window IS necessary, as the licence would normally be attached to the inside of the window glass.

smile.png

MtB

Ah but yes but no. The expiry date is rather larger that the name and reg number and can in most cases be seen easily, given it is highlighted with a coloured background, with out getting too close to the boat. No?

Ah but yes but no. The expiry date is rather larger that the name and reg number and can in most cases be seen easily, given it is highlighted with a coloured background, with out getting too close to the boat. No?

Yes, but no, but... MTB means you still have to look through the glass to see it.

But not close up so as to be annoying!

Well you might do either if the boat is not otherwise displaying its reg number, or to check that the licence is for the boat in question and not for example a colour photocopy of someone else's.

No, I think it has been explained in the past by CRT (when the whole SEVM thing was chuntering ) that in fact 48 hrs means two nights. This at first sight seems odd but in reality if you pitch up at a 48hr VM late afternoon, you wouldn't want to have to leave 48 hrs later as it would then be late afternoon and it would be difficult or at least a pain to have to find somewhere else to moor. So if that were the case a 48hr mooring would in effect be more like a 40 hr one. IIRC CRT's interpretation is that the clock starts ticking at midnight on the day of arrival.

All the public moorings here on the Middle Levels are 36 hour so is that one night or arrive very late, stay two nights and leave very early?

No, but knowing in advance what's in the boat lets you decide whether it's worth making the effort. glare.gif

A couple of points. First when I made that comment no mention had been made of peering in through windows merely of taking numbers and names.

Second if you really were "casing the joint" surely you would want to be as surreptitious as possible and not be seen noticeably taking names and numbers. I was once challenged by a landowner while I was taking part in a BTO survey about what I was writing down. When I explained he pointed out he was worried I was making notes of stock to steal.

He was rather surprised when I said if I was doing that I would do it in the middle of the day with a camera rather than 5:30 am. The point being in the area we live in many tourists are stopped taking photos and are never noticed. Out at 5:30 taking notes is much more noticeable so if you are up to no good why do it (be seen taking notes that is)? Just peer through the window and pretend to be an interested gongoozler who has never seen the inside of a narrowboat if challenged. Who knows you might even get shown round.

Well you might do either if the boat is not otherwise displaying its reg number, or to check that the licence is for the boat in question and not for example a colour photocopy of someone else's.

Do you really think CRT train people to see forgeries?

I could make one up tomorrow and you would probably never be able to tell.

Do you really think CRT train people to see forgeries?

I could make one up tomorrow and you would probably never be able to tell.

I saw a boat last time out with 50% full size licence discs (squares) as full size ones took up to much of their port hole glass.