mystery boat snooper in MK

onionbargee

Featured Posts

There's a woman taking down boat numbers in Milton Keynes, she was at Stoke Hammond yesterday, no CRT uniform or visible I'd, just arrives in a silver estate car, with a pencil and pape, does anyone know who this is, and is it a genuine CRT volunteer ?

I have emailed CRT, but no reply yet.

There's a woman taking down boat numbers in Milton Keynes, she was at Stoke Hammond yesterday, no CRT uniform or visible I'd, just arrives in a silver estate car, with a pencil and pape, does anyone know who this is, and is it a genuine CRT volunteer ?

I have emailed CRT, but no reply yet.

Probably one of Mathew symmonds empire helpers. Spotting for pop up 48hr moorings.

Thanks for both the answers, I think.

Was the snooper carrying a tub of cheese sandwiches with the notepad? Might have been a very bored train spotter.

If it's any consolation, I had a woman taking down our details at Cosgrove and another woman at Stoke Bruerne a couple of months ago. Obviously there are some very bored women out there. :)

The bloke that checks around Llangollen is similar. I don't have a problem with the process per se, but I do think anyone checking on behalf of C&RT needs to be clearly identified as such - A logo'd tabard for example. Unidentified people peering through my windows off a pontoon will be treated with the utmost suspicion.

People collect car numbers ( or did when I was a kid )

People train spot ( still do )

People plane spot ( still do )

People can note my boat name and number down anytime they wish as I comply with the very few very easy to understand rules that we have to comply with

Tim

• Greenie 3

The bloke that checks around Llangollen is similar. I don't have a problem with the process per se, but I do think anyone checking on behalf of C&RT needs to be clearly identified as such - A logo'd tabard for example. Unidentified people peering through my windows off a pontoon will be treated with the utmost suspicion.

A couple of questions.

Was she really peering through your window? Taking the number wouldn't need to even look at a window would it?

I take it you don't mind identified people peering through your windows?

People collect car numbers ( or did when I was a kid )

People train spot ( still do )

People plane spot ( still do )

People can note my boat name and number down anytime they wish as I comply with the very few very easy to understand rules that we have to comply with

Tim

All true I think.

It is odd to me that folk complain that CRT make decisions on scant information but when it is attempted to gather data it is treated with suspicion.

If she's collecting data on behalf of CRT then there is obviously no problem. If she just likes writing down names & numbers, then likewise no problem. If a spate of boat break-ins happens shortly in the area, then someone is gonna wish that they'd noted her car reg.

If she's collecting data on behalf of CRT then there is obviously no problem. If she just likes writing down names & numbers, then likewise no problem. If a spate of boat break-ins happens shortly in the area, then someone is gonna wish that they'd noted her car reg.

How does knowing the boat name and number make breaking in any easier?

All true I think.

It is odd to me that folk complain that CRT make decisions on scant information but when it is attempted to gather data it is treated with suspicion.

I've got no problem with train spotters (I used to be one...ahem). At least they don't try to f&@k up the very thing they love.

What if, in a similar vein, she was writing down visiting boat numbers following a spate of house break-ins in the area?

Would that be ok too?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

A couple of questions.

Was she really peering through your window? Taking the number wouldn't need to even look at a window would it?

I take it you don't mind identified people peering through your windows?

Ah, Llangollen is a paid for mooring (don't get me started on that..) and it's on pontoons, so you have to come down the side of the boat to check the parking ticket - which is small and handwritten. Which I'm sort of ok with, but as a consequence I found a stranger peering into my boat off the pontoon. I take folks nebbing in off the towpath as an occupational hazard, but (and I used to do a volunteer co-ordinator job for another charity) I think C&RT need to raise their game when it comes to customer facing volunteer skills training. And in those circumstances, someone performing a semi enforcement role does need to be clearly identified as such.

I'm not losing sleep over it, it wasn't exactly a big deal.

Ah, Llangollen is a paid for mooring (don't get me started on that..) and it's on pontoons, so you have to come down the side of the boat to check the parking ticket - which is small and handwritten. Which I'm sort of ok with, but as a consequence I found a stranger peering into my boat off the pontoon. I take folks nebbing in off the towpath as an occupational hazard, but (and I used to do a volunteer co-ordinator job for another charity) I think C&RT need to raise their game when it comes to customer facing volunteer skills training. And in those circumstances, someone performing a semi enforcement role does need to be clearly identified as such.

I'm not losing sleep over it, it wasn't exactly a big deal.

Ah that is a different scenario to the one I was seeing. I thought the situation was somebody just taking boat names and index numbers not checking that fees had been paid and were up to date.

Now there is a business opportunity for someone, print the narrow boat version of a train spotters log book (can't remember who printed them) There is one for Eddie Stobard Trucks so why not. NB would be far more interesting and healthier than sitting in motorway car park.

Might even educate the youngsters. So who is in?