mystery boat snooper in MK

onionbargee

Featured Posts

Maffi - we peered (had a good nebbing) at your licence whilst u woz shopping in Tescos/clearing up some other boaters' dog poo and saw your licence was clearly a forgery. Not sure whether to send to to CRT or to an Art Gallery. Please advise ;)

Maffi - we peered (had a good nebbing) at your licence whilst u woz shopping in Tescos/clearing up some other boaters' dog poo and saw your licence was clearly a forgery. Not sure whether to send to to CRT or to an Art Gallery. Please advise wink.png

Oh that's odd I don't think it was current the last time I was near Tesco!

I'll be down that way next week and will be "about" whilst Mary gets a train to go visiting the grand children.

I'll see whats occurring!

But i have come across an old guy in the Middlewich area who does the same thing.

He walks up to your boat, looks at it, full on. Puts his hand in his inside pocket and gets out a small note pad, and proceeds to write something down. I can only presume its the boat name and number,

i have no issues about him and even Mary said that he was just a old chap with probably load of lists on his bedroom wall, doing no harm to anybody, but giving himself something to do!!

Nipper

I'll be down that way next week and will be "about" whilst Mary gets a train to go visiting the grand children.

But i have come across an old guy in the Middlewich area who does the same thing.

He walks up to your boat, looks at it, full on. Puts his hand in his inside pocket and gets out a small note pad, and proceeds to write something down. I can only presume its the boat name and number,

i have no issues about him and even Mary said that he was just a old chap with probably load of lists on his bedroom wall, doing no harm to anybody, but giving himself something to do!!

Nipper

You coming this way? Hurrah!

Selling forged licenses? ohmy.png

Who Moi?

How does knowing the boat name and number make breaking in any easier?

Firstly, I have no more idea than any of the rest of you quite what this person was up to. Casing is not an unknown tactic of burglars. A smart burglar would get someone else to do it for them. A smart accomplice would make it look like they were doing something else, we have no idea what she was actually writing down. Maybe it was, boat name/ big hopper windows/ padlock on slide/flimsy side doors. Who knows? Here's another scenario, she's a disgruntled boater who's just had a Patrol Notice, she's so pissed off that she's decided to check every other boat in the area for licence infringements or evidence of overstaying. Maybe. Or not.

Nebbing

This word is awesome! I had never heard of it before, and yet, somehow, in the context of the sentence I totally understood what it meant, and felt the word, like you do with words like "fizz" or "dank."

Anyway, enough wine for one night, methinks...

This word is awesome! I had never heard of it before, and yet, somehow, in the context of the sentence I totally understood what it meant, and felt the word, like you do with words like "fizz" or "dank."

Anyway, enough wine for one night, methinks...

You mean you have never heard the expression "keep your neb out!, as in 'mind your own business'

If she's collecting data on behalf of CRT then there is obviously no problem. If she just likes writing down names & numbers, then likewise no problem. If a spate of boat break-ins happens shortly in the area, then someone is gonna wish that they'd noted her car reg.

If she's collecting data on behalf of CRT then there is obviously no problem. If she just likes writing down names & numbers, then likewise no problem. If a spate of boat break-ins happens shortly in the area, then someone is gonna wish that they'd noted her car reg.

and if there is a spate of car breakins in the area they may look for a boater that has been writing down car numbers (@;

Man and woman a while back came along towpath at Marsworth taking notes. Asked them and was told it was voluntary work for CRT in regards to making some 14 day into 48 he moorings.

Mind you they each gave off vibes of being burglars, boat spotters, spies, doggers, child kidnappers, car thieves, perverts or just plain old nosey carstards.

So glad I asked, guesswork can be misleading.

Edited by valrene9600

Now there is a business opportunity for someone, print the narrow boat version of a train spotters log book (can't remember who printed them) There is one for Eddie Stobard Trucks so why not. NB would be far more interesting and healthier than sitting in motorway car park.

Might even educate the youngsters. So who is in?

Stobart_zpswtqnufgp.jpg

I would suggest the amount of time you 'get' would be exactly 48 hours like the sign says.

In reality the time you actually 'get' depends on the frequency/schedule of the monitoring of the site. Many months seems to have been quite common in the past. Possibly as little as just a few weeks before bad things begin to happen nowadays!

What you get is 48 hours (not a difficult concept) What you can get away with is, as said, very different. Juts don't assume they are the same . . .

If anyone is interested in nebbing into our boat windows, you might find some latest juicy spiders which you are welcome to have - otherwise they'll just be going up our vacuum cleaner's pipe. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't pinch our items of value - ie. my splattered-with-paint workclothes and my old trainers.

https://www.vr.fi/cs/vr/fi/junat_kartalla

press the blue tab which says 'junat kartalla' and you can see where trains are in Finland real time (bearing in mind we're 2 hours ahead of the UK).

Stobart_zpswtqnufgp.jpg

Perhaps we could set up a CWF Boat Spotter App.

People could record members boats they have seen and where they were at the time.

Could even let CRT log in and they can then track boat movements without leaving the office biggrin.png

Nipper

A came across this on the K&A as I was returning to my boat, so I got into conversation with the chap. Turned out he was from the local fishing club and he was recording names and numbers to report overstayers on their fishing patch to CaRT. The problem was he was one of those chaps that once you start a conversation you cant stop it and get away.

Firstly, I have no more idea than any of the rest of you quite what this person was up to. Casing is not an unknown tactic of burglars. A smart burglar would get someone else to do it for them. A smart accomplice would make it look like they were doing something else, we have no idea what she was actually writing down. Maybe it was, boat name/ big hopper windows/ padlock on slide/flimsy side doors. Who knows? Here's another scenario, she's a disgruntled boater who's just had a Patrol Notice, she's so pissed off that she's decided to check every other boat in the area for licence infringements or evidence of overstaying. Maybe. Or not.

Watch out for the ones with a smart phone. On the Broads it seems that a couple of chaps wander round noting GPS locations of items they are interested in. These are passed onto other members of the team who come at a later date and lift said items which are stored in a container, then even later other members arrive to ship the container abroad.So anyone spotting is never seen lifting, the lifters have never been seen in the area before casing the jobs and the team who come to ship the container back are also unconnected fresh faces. It makes it very difficult for the Old Bill to collar them. When it was local and sold on ebay they had quite a good success rate.

Perhaps we could set up a CWF Boat Spotter App.

People could record members boats they have seen and where they were at the time.

Could even let CRT log in and they can then track boat movements without leaving the office biggrin.png

I have pointed this out weeks ago, dead easy to fit all boats with transponders and CRT can see where they are all of the time. The system can automatically inform of overstaying on eg. 48-hour moorings. Helsinki City Transport has this for all of their buses - want to find any bus or any driver? The map zooms in and you've got 'em! This would bring the CCer & CMer threads to an abrupt halt, eh?

Invasion of privacy? I read somewhere that Britain has the most CCTV cameras of any other country.

I have pointed this out weeks ago, dead easy to fit all boats with transponders and CRT can see where they are all of the time. The system can automatically inform of overstaying on eg. 48-hour moorings. Helsinki City Transport has this for all of their buses - want to find any bus or any driver? The map zooms in and you've got 'em! This would bring the CCer & CMer threads to an abrupt halt, eh?

Invasion of privacy? I read somewhere that Britain has the most CCTV cameras of any other country.

When I worked in and around London, I was told that any one person visiting via a mainline railway station was on average recorded by 400 CCTV cameras. (and people are concerned about being g tracked on the canals)