marinas selling keroscene

frygood

Featured Posts

Twas the cheapest fuel around when I was a kid. We had a portable parafin fire that mum used to place in the coldest parts of the house and you had to walk very carefully past it cos a small gust and it belched flames! The bloody thing terrified me, but in the days before central heating it stopped me freezing on many occasions.

Apologies for off topic waffle

Edited by Ange

Twas the cheapest fuel around when I was a kid. We had a portable parafin fire that mum used to place in the coldest parts of the house and you had to walk very carefully past it cos a small gust and it belched flames! The bloody thing terrified me, but in the days before central heating it stopped me freezing on many occasions.

Apologies for off topic waffle

Don't think that's off topic, a slice of British life before H&S. Probably the biggest use here would have been in greenhouse heaters?

Would be nice to hear from the OP what he wants it for.

We are having a heritage stove fitted on our nb and was told by the factory that though they will run on diesel they are designed to run on 28 sec heating oil (kerosene ). So I would just like to know wheather any marinas sell it and where they are.

I use it on Odd for my Wallas Stove/heater, dont have the space for LPG and allthough we dont have the BSS here self preservation still kicks in.

Hi so where do you get your supplies of kerosene from

I was under the impression that Central heating Oil was kero ( that's what it says on the tanker that delivers it)

Done a Google search - yes it is :

Kerosene is a fast burning and easily ignitable hydrocarbon fluid used for fuel in heating systems. The word kerosene was trademarked by North American Gas Light Company in 1854. This meant they were the only company allowed to use the word kerosene commercially. However, it has since been given a generic trademark and anybody can use this term to describe heating oil.

Don't think that's off topic, a slice of British life before H&S. Probably the biggest use here would have been in greenhouse heaters?

Would be nice to hear from the OP what he wants it for.

Kerosenne or 28 sec heating oil is used in most domestic oil burning boilers for hot water and central heating systems. Mainly used in areas that do not have mains gas.

We use Kerosene in our Rayburn at home.

I was under the impression that Central heating Oil was kero ( that's what it says on the tanker that delivers it)

Done a Google search - yes it is :

Kerosene is a fast burning and easily ignitable hydrocarbon fluid used for fuel in heating systems. The word kerosene was trademarked by North American Gas Light Company in 1854. This meant they were the only company allowed to use the word kerosene commercially. However, it has since been given a generic trademark and anybody can use this term to describe heating oil.

Rather depends upon the type of burner. Central heating oil comes in two different viscosities 28 second and 32 second with 32 second being our diesel more or less.

Hone heating oil is 28sec fuel oil and can and is a mix of some very unpleasant chemicals. It fine for any enclosed burner as in normal central heating boilers and raburns / Aga and the like.

IT IS NOT suitable for any drip fed, evaporative burner - is that what a Wallas is??

I have an industrial type kerosene air heater in my woirkshop and the fumes given off are noxious - smelly and acrid.

For Wallas and the old Valor tyupes you must use "Paraffin heating oil" if you can get it. Much more refined (to give better burning and not so smelly)

It's very expensive and probably only available in rural areas.

Modern domestic paraffin heaters do not use cotton wicks like the old ones did, they are also much safer. They are widely available as is the fuel although, off hand, I do not know of a canal marina that sells it. Try a company such as Caldo for a bit more info.

Modern domestic paraffin heaters do not use cotton wicks like the old ones did, they are also much safer. They are widely available as is the fuel although, off hand, I do not know of a canal marina that sells it. Try a company such as Caldo for a bit more info.

You don't mean to say the little chap with the Morris Commercial van doesn't come round every Wednesday delivering paraffin any more?

(He probably doesn't wear a brown coat and flat 'at either)

You don't mean to say the little chap with the Morris Commercial van doesn't come round every Wednesday delivering paraffin any more?

The EssoBlue dealer! Used to deliver to our house when we were kids in pre-central heating days. I still smell it some days (not a nostalgia thing; still got a can in the shed.)

I have never seen Kero/Parrafin at any marinas on the system, but then again I haven't been looking for same.

Edited by Guest

I'd be surprised if any canal based marinas sell 28 sec heating oil (aka kerosene, aka domestic heating oil, aka "crude" paraffin - to give it all the names I can think of!!).

As has been said, the "clean" version has now become expensive in UK as it has little demand compared with the 1950s when everyone had household or greenhouse heaters and the ESSO Blue man drove round in his van. "Clean" Paraffin is definitely OK to burn in a device that exhausts into a living space but anything using domestic heating oil ("Rough" paraffin) must have an external flue pipe if you want to survive without coughing and spluttering from the high levels of aromatics it contains!

"Aground" above writes from France where I believe there is more availability of "Clean". I don't think Forsberg can help the OP because it looks as though he's in Sweden where again they may use more of it.

I have oil Central Heating so am used to ordering gallons of kero from oil suppliers. I once needed to get some for a special purpose and found the minimum delivery was 410 litres (to fill 2 x 45 gallon steel drums). If the OPs boat tank is big enough and there is road tanker access to where the boat is, ordering direct from an oil supplier could be the only way to go.

Richard

I know! You can't drop the accumulators for your wireless set around to the bike shop to get them recharged any more either

Richard

MORE: Plenty of paraffin in B&Q for your greenhouse heater

Edited by RLWP

Get kerosene / 28 sec heating oil delivered from your local oil supplier. Our supplier has a minimum 500 litre delivery so you need either a big tank on board or a tank on land from which to topup the boat. Heating oil can't legally be used for propulsion, so you need a separate tank for your engine diesel. But you can run a generator from the kero tank (if it is happy with kero as a fuel).

Edited by David Mack

Kerosenne or 28 sec heating oil is used in most domestic oil burning boilers for hot water and central heating systems. Mainly used in areas that do not have mains gas.

We use Kerosene in our Rayburn at home.

I was being a bit dim, as we used it for central heating at our previous home of 17 years!

Get kerosene / 28 sec heating oil delivered from your local oil supplier. Our supplier has a minimum 500 litre delivery so you need either a big tank on board or a tank on land from which to topup the boat. Heating oil can't legally be used for propulsion, so you need a separate tank for your engine diesel. But you can run a generator from the kero tank (if it is happy with kero as a fuel).

You will probably need to have a domestic sized filler cap (about 4.5 inches in diameter) in addition to 500 litre capacity to accommodate the usual dispenser "nozzle" used on most of the delivery tankers.

I made enquires a few years back of all the suppliers in the Stafford/Stoke area, and all denied having a forecourt style dispenser adaptor for their tankers. This struck me as odd at the time as I was aware of a company (name unknown) dispensing fuel to boats canalside on Sunday mornings from an adjacent pub carpark.

My occasional Lockgate stove usage is serviced by 1 gallon plastic cans from the nearest DIY shed.

Caldo Oils did (probably still do) supply pallets of 1 gallon cans; at a strangely uncompetitive price.

Steve (Eeyore)

Edited by Eeyore

28 sec. Kerosene has a much lower sulphur content than 32 sec. Webasto heaters run fine on Kerosene & don't coke up like when on diesel.

32 sec. is basically diesel/gas oil.

According to this data from 2007 (see table 1.1), kerosene has a higher sulphur content than ultra low sulphur road diesel (to which a red dye is adred to make red diesel).

http://www.ec.gc.ca/doc/energie-energy/1088/sul/sul-eng.htm

28 sec. Kerosene has a much lower sulphur content than 32 sec. Webasto heaters run fine on Kerosene & don't coke up like when on diesel.

32 sec. is basically diesel/gas oil.

Pedant mode ON

When did Gas Oil/road diesel suddenly become less viscous? In UK it is usually classed as 35 redwood secs although a quick Google does show the odd ref to 32 secs being used in foreign parts.

Pedant mode OFF.

Most pressure jet oil burners can easily be converted (change of nozzle plus fuel pump pressure and air settings) to burn either 28 sec or 35 sec oil. This would be true of the Heritage cooker as well I imagine, as the OP was told.

Richard