What's at the end of the Aylesbury arm?

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

Moored at Aylesbury at present.

14 days, water supply pathetic, no hookup. Otherwise ok if you don't mind being in a building site.

When are you coming? Might have to move up a bit as another boat arrived today. Getting crowded, only space for another 7 boats!

Edited by pearley

(Puts on flippant hat)

What's at the end of the Aylesbury Arm?

Hordes of wildebeest, dweeping majestically across the sun-burned plains of the Serengeti. Prides of lions basking under a hot African sun, whilst a few monkeys scratch at baobab trees.

Really?

No, Aylesbury, what did you expect?

wink.png

Edited by FadeToScarlet

(Puts on flippant hat)

Hordes of wildebeest, dweeping majestically across the sun-burned plains of the Serengeti. Prides of lions basking under a hot African sun, whilst a few monkeys scratch at baobab trees.

Really?

wink.png

And there was me biting my tongue and managing to resist that open goal :D

MtB

(Puts on flippant hat)

Really?

I was going to have a go.in a similar vein.But I can't beat that!! Respect!!

I'll admit circumstances have dictated we have not been down in a while, but unless the situation has changed dramatically since, in our experience too much water has been very much the norm, and I really have never experienced too little water.

Usually at the top end we have found water flowing over most of the top gates, even if not flowing over the top of that staircase where it joins the main line, which is rather more unusual.

I never did work out why quite so much excess water, but i wonder what has now changed if low pounds is even a vaguely common occurrence?

Edited by alan_fincher

I should have said that it was only those two pounds that were low. At every other lock water was indeed flowing over the gates, not surprising as we were bringing a lockful down with us except that most locks are to be left empty.

As I said, it was partially our fault that the pound was low as I didn't realise that a paddle was up as it was only cracked open rather than left fully up. Having found that at locks 5 and 6 we were ready for it at all the others. I can only imagine that the last boat to use them came up the flight and left the lock emptying by just a couple of turns of the windlass.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Circus Field Basin, owned and operated by the Aylesbury Canal Society, Two locks up from the end, they offer visitors up to two weeks free supervised mooring. I have used them several times in the past (at their old location at the end of the arm) and have found them to be both friendly and helpful.

The new basin is a bit further from the town centre bit still only about a mile away. they have a comprehensive web site here :- http://www.aylesburycanal.org.uk