hull survey as a condition of insurance

dogless

Featured Posts

I have owned my Colecraft narrow boat (built in 1993) for ten years. I was advised at the time of purchase, that once the boat reached 20 years of age, it was likely that I would be required to have the hull surveyed again as a condition of obtaining insurance.

As the boat's twentieth birthday approached, I conducted a 'straw poll' of owners, but have yet to meet anyone who has had such a condition imposed on them.

I have insured the boat again for my eleventh year without any such requirement.

My question is, has anyone experienced this situation, and at what age ? (The boat that is :) )

Thanks

Would an insurer actually let one re-insure even though the insurance was invalidated because of the small print? Surely they would ask for a copy of the survey?

My boat is of an age where a survey might be required by some and I was indeed asked to provide a copy of the survey, which I have. In the final event, however, we insured with Haven who did not ask for a survey and I can find no reference in the policy to one ever being required. They do insist the boat is kept in a "sea worthy" condition though. I used Haven for my previous boat and they never asked for a survey on that when it passed the magic age marker.

I have considered third party but have stayed with full comp. Does TP include fire and theft (of the boat and contents)?

Edited by Traveller

When I renewed my insurance this year I was informed that I would need a full survey to insure it fully comp next year due to the fact the boat was over 25 years old.

My boat is 34 years old now anyway and isn't worth a great deal so am going to opt for 3rd party instead.

Many, indeed most, insurance companies including ours used to insist on a survey at 15 years. Luckily as our boat approached 15 they changed it to 20 years. Then as we approached 20 about 3 years ago they changed it to 25. Maybe tours did the same? At our last renewal they warned us that we will need a survey in 2 years time at 25.

I doubt they would issue a policy is a survey was lacking.

I find it sad and Interesting that posters do not name insurance companies.

Then forum members could learn from the info that if their present company wants a survey at 20 years then they can defer it for 5 years or more by changing companies instead of going down the 3rd party route.

• Greenie 2

I did name the insurer I went with in my post (Haven). The other, that required a full survey, was Craftinsure although it appeared they were willing to negotiate on full or hull survey as I had a recent BSC. I cannot remember who the third company was!

Edited by Traveller

Strange - I am with Craftinsure and they only require a survey if the boat is over 30years old.

Log onto their website and request an online quotation - one of the 1st questions is boat age, if you click on 30+ then it tells you that you will need a survey every 5 years, and if at 30 it has not had a survey it will need one prior to them insuring it

Craftinsure is purely a 'broker' - as I said we insure thru' them but our insurer is actually Haven.

Maybe you are being victimised ?

I did name the insurer I went with in my post (Haven). The other, that required a full survey, was Craftinsure although it appeared they were willing to negotiate on full or hull survey as I had a recent BSC. I cannot remember who the third company was!

I insuredvwith Saga who wanted one after 20 years, didn't get one and they tried to double the price on the next renewal so moved to GJW who want one when it gets to 30 years old so have another 6 years to go. The added bonus is they do contents as well which saves some hassle

Strange - I am with Craftinsure and they only require a survey if the boat is over 30years old.

Log onto their website and request an online quotation - one of the 1st questions is boat age, if you click on 30+ then it tells you that you will need a survey every 5 years, and if at 30 it has not had a survey it will need one prior to them insuring it

Craftinsure is purely a 'broker' - as I said we insure thru' them but our insurer is actually Haven.

Maybe you are being victimised ?

Should have said our boat is 30 and a bit but in my earlier post I just state a general: "My boat is of an age where a survey might be required by some". Why though would Craftinsure as broker ask for a survey when the insurer does not? Or has not in our case.

Edited by Traveller

I insuredvwith Saga who wanted one after 20 years, didn't get one and they tried to double the price on the next renewal so moved to GJW who want one when it gets to 30 years old so have another 6 years to go. The added bonus is they do contents as well which saves some hassle

I insure with Saga, they wanted one as the boat is 25 and (spoken in hushed tones by the lady on the phone) a Springer. Other people I approached wanted a survey to insure, so I stayed with Saga, and they say they never want another one!

I insure with Saga, they wanted one as the boat is 25 and (spoken in hushed tones by the lady on the phone) a Springer. Other people I approached wanted a survey to insure, so I stayed with Saga, and they say they never want another one!

I was with Saga for a number of years after I turned 50. Their car and boat insurance used to be relatively cheap until they decided to suddenly charge silly money for both so I just looked elsewhere

I was with Gjw who as the boat approached 20 wanted a survey so i moved to Saga who never want a survey. When i rang Gjw to cancel they said that they had changed the 20 year rule to 25

Seems strange that as my policy definitely says 30 years

Thanks for the swift info. Obviously the request for a survey is something I can look forward to in the future. The boat is blacked every two years so if advance warning is given (as is suggested above) it won't be a huge issue. By the way my broker is Nautical Insurance and the policy is with Zurich, however it was the general principle that was of interest, rather than any specifics.

Thanks again

Towergate mardon wanted a survey from us, and then another every six years, but then the boat is 80 in February!

It's not neccesarily a bad thing either, to have a surveyor cast an experienced eye and ultrasonic tester over it, rather than ignoring the state of the hull.

I agree. I would rather know the hull was sound (and repairing it if neecessary) rather than avoid having a survey every 5 or so years. Almost certainly cheaper than a sinking.

My question is, has anyone experienced this situation, and at what age ? (The boat that is smile.png )

Thanks

Actually, your age can be relevant! Saga, the oldies insurer, haven't even mentioned a survey, although I vaguely remember they asked the age of the boat when I first insured with them about 6 years ago. ( Cygnet was about 25 then.)

From the conflicting examples shown in this short thread, the only guarantee seems to be that thay are all inconsistent in their demands.

That is the impression , but have all the exampled given come from the same sort of date , or are some of them historic.

We were insured with Towergate for years, but they were insisting upon a hull survey every 5 (I think) years which cost about £500. Having had one done which showed no more than any person with a bit of knowledge and an ultrasonic tester could have achieved, I decided to look for an insurer who did not ask for a survey, even if the anual premium was a but more.

I had heard that SAGA did not require a survey, even for old boats (ours is now 32 years old) so I phoned them. They confirmed that no survey was required unless it was what they quaintly described as "A boat known as a Springer" The fully comprehensive policy covered the same risks as my previous insurere and the premium was actually a couple of punds cheaper, since then has not been increased.

As for inspecting the hull etc, I get it blacked every other year and have always used the same people. As part of the service, the hull is inspected by an experienced marine engineer, and any remedial work required has been undertaken by a competent boatbuilder, whilst the boat is still in dry dock.

Edited by David Schweizer

I wondered what Saga would quote for our 1928 Josher since I'd heard that they do not require a full hull survey every six years.

They confirmed that I wouldn't need a hull survey but quoted a price that was nearly four times that of Towergate. I decided to stick with Towergate - cheaper in the long run.

Incidentally, I found Towergate very accommodating. When my hull survey was last due I was able to negotiate a two year extension until the boat was next due to come out of the water for blacking. All I needed was for my regular surveyor to confirm that he'd looked after the boat for the past 25 years and that the hull was sound.