Barging About Britain

Sarahr

Featured Posts

You won't have to,he's not a boater.

Martyn

A friend of mine (barge operator) helped with the Aire & Calder trip. He said John was a very easy going, affable gentleman with no airs and graces. He was very interested in the waterways and might well become a boater in due course! He did a fair bit of steering (John that is) and asked about freight potential as well as leisure use.

regards

David L

A friend of mine (barge operator) helped with the Aire & Calder trip. He said John was a very easy going, affable gentleman with no airs and graces. He was very interested in the waterways and might well become a boater in due course! He did a fair bit of steering (John that is) and asked about freight potential as well as leisure use.

regards

David L

I should have said that I think the A&CN programme is this coming Friday. John travelled from Hull to Goole on board 'Humber Princess' with a cargo of oil for EXol at Rotherham but the programme schedule diodn't allow enough time to go on up the SYN unfortunately.

Regards

David

I should have said that I think the A&CN programme is this coming Friday. John travelled from Hull to Goole on board 'Humber Princess' with a cargo of oil for EXol at Rotherham but the programme schedule diodn't allow enough time to go on up the SYN unfortunately.

Regards

David

If correct - yet again missing one of the best and prettiest sections of the Northern waterways. (Doncaster to Sprotbrough)

If correct - yet again missing one of the best and prettiest sections of the Northern waterways. (Doncaster to Sprotbrough)

Congratulations on performing the rare feat of including "prettiest" and "Doncaster" in the same line!

Congratulations on performing the rare feat of including "prettiest" and "Doncaster" in the same line!

Like lots of towns and cities when viewed approached from the water they do take on a different 'look'. 'Donny' is no exception and I think doesn't look that bad approached from the North by boat.

26SGhvpl.jpg

Of course its a bit grim and oppressive passing through the town centre particularly when you pass through the town lock feeling almost as if you could knock your head on the underneath of the ECML whilst you operate the lock.

eUiGzGxl.jpg

After that of course (once you leave the town lock) it all gets quite pleasant again.

QfO5jOYl.jpg

EbrYNoSl.jpg

Sprotborough is a perfect place to aim for,

2BALGyhl.jpg

BB4j6qGl.jpg

Your photos confirm that the best view of Donny is when you're leaving it! I have seen your pics of Sprotborough before and it does look very scenic.

Donny used to be a Mecca for me and my little train-spotting pals in the days of steam, didn't mind the griminess, we were only there to see the engines!

Absolutely! I made this point to the production people. Maybe another time? Several of the (newly appointed) NE Partnership members went up the SYN on 'Humber Princess' and were impressed by the great scenery as you describe and also the lack of boats and other users which is a shame. Addressing general under use of these great waterways is part of the Partnership's strategic plan hence the additional visitor moorings in Leeds .which are being provided as a starter (and we are looking at Sheffield too)..

Regards

David L

Your photos confirm that the best view of Donny is when you're leaving it! I have seen your pics of Sprotborough before and it does look very scenic.

Donny used to be a Mecca for me and my little train-spotting pals in the days of steam, didn't mind the griminess, we were only there to see the engines!

Me too! Mind you I endfed up with BR and successors for 20 years so not complaining (as well as running a barge and boat business). Happy days..

David L

regards

David L

He's on ITV again in a few minutes talking about Spike Milliigan

Tim

The program (or is it programme) is too short IMO, he hasn't got time to talk about anything in great detail and we certainly could do without the "getting increasly dirty and bandaged" bit.

At least it's something on tele that's boaty and I will continue to watch it.

John Sargeant was on Chris Evans show on radio 2 this morning. He very strongly emphasised the difference between a barge and a narrowboat, talked most positively about the canals, and put up a stout defence against Chris Evans outrage that you could drive a "20 ton super-yacht with a 3000 horsepower engine" on the canal without needing a licence.

John Sargeant was on Chris Evans show on radio 2 this morning. He very strongly emphasised the difference between a barge and a narrowboat, talked most positively about the canals, and put up a stout defence against Chris Evans outrage that you could drive a "20 ton super-yacht with a 3000 horsepower engine" on the canal without needing a licence.

But my wife tells me he also said it was "a doddle what could go wrong" or words to that effect. I wonder if anyone has mentioned cills to him.