Barging About Britain

Sarahr

Featured Posts

The program being QI

Yes it was "joked about" on QI

ETA apparently they're good friends and it's a standing joke between them that they play along with because there is an uncanny resemblance given no known genetic link.

Edited by Ange

I just watched the 2nd episode. What a patronising prat. The way he was talking to people was cringworthy.

I just saw an affable and rather bimbling man. It's interesting how different our perceptions of others are.

Edited by Ange

We just watched both episodes back to back.

What I got was an hour of sunshine, beautiful canal scenery and gentle humour from a man with a healthy lack of self aggrandisement.

Overall, a rather rosy picture of canal cruising that is more likely to attract new people to the canals than deter them.

As for the knockers, I wouldn't want to watch a half hour TV programme that you produced.

Edited by Kwacker
  • Greenie 1

I watched it last night (missed the first one) and as a boater who knows the Llangollen very well found it pretty boring from a boating perspective

But the it is not aimed at boaters it is aimed at people like me 9 years ago.

It was 9 years ago that I was sitting at home in front of my TV and found myself watching a canal programme, I had been retired for 3 years and bored with my life, I had never been on a narrowboat and never even walked along a canal. I decided that a boat would be fun and certainly keep me busy for 2-3 years. I went out the next day bought a couple of canal magazines and within 7 days had found a new boat where the people who had ordered had pulled out. The following day I bought it and 2 weeks later I moved on. The 2-3 years has turned into 9 years.

We just watched both episodes back to back.

What I got was an hour of sunshine, beautiful canal scenery and gentle humour from a man with a healthy lack of self aggrandisement.

Overall, a rather rosy picture of canal cruising that is more likely to attract new people to the canals than deter them.

As for the knockers, I wouldn't want to watch a half hour TV programme that you produced.

I expect you already have.

• Greenie 1

I have just watched the second one. I though it was much better than the first and nowhere near as much annoying stuff as the first, the forge scene excepted. I would say this one did achieve the objective of portraying a canal holiday as a very nice thing to do, and I bet this morning hire boat bookings take a jump up.

I watched it last night (missed the first one) and as a boater who knows the Llangollen very well found it pretty boring from a boating perspective

But the it is not aimed at boaters it is aimed at people like me 9 years ago.

It was 9 years ago that I was sitting at home in front of my TV and found myself watching a canal programme, I had been retired for 3 years and bored with my life, I had never been on a narrowboat and never even walked along a canal. I decided that a boat would be fun and certainly keep me busy for 2-3 years. I went out the next day bought a couple of canal magazines and within 7 days had found a new boat where the people who had ordered had pulled out. The following day I bought it and 2 weeks later I moved on. The 2-3 years has turned into 9 years.

That so echoes our history, kids thought we were joking when we came home with the keys to a boat.

Ian.

I am afraid it was a starter and not a main course. I was left feeling hungry......

On the up side there are another four episodes of Tim and Prue's Great Canal Journeys in the can and I guess they will be shown soon after this series ends.

I saw an ad on More4 for them on Thursday night, saying coming soon.

Well of course the thing is yes it very well might be rubbish simply because that is not how most of us on here earn or earned a living. Would you really expect a retired ex. Nurse/NHS Manager to be able to know all about how to produce a TV program? I might be able to act as a program advisor as to what people (including hire boaters) might find interesting about a program about canals but to actually produce it is a different ball game all together.

Certainly not - but I might expect such an educated man to know how to spell one.

I see you are in 'spell check mode' this morning having picked up on a few including mine this morning - I take it you are bored today?

Besides where do I claim to be educated??

And besides.......

Edited by MJG

I see you are in 'spell check mode' this morning having picked up on a few including mine this morning - I take it you are bored today?

Besides where do I claim to be educated??

And besides.......

Language never bores me - it has been my stock in trade for many years after all. I do enjoy having fun with it, though.

I know that any nurse in this country must have a good standard of education - don't forget that I am married to one. So you don't need to claim it, I take it for granted.

For the record, a program is something which lurks within a computer, a programme is something which appears on television - unless you're a Yank of course.

Language never bores me - it has been my stock in trade for many years after all. I do enjoy having fun with it, though.

I know that any nurse in this country must have a good standard of education - don't forget that I am married to one. So you don't need to claim it, I take it for granted.

For the record, a program is something which lurks within a computer, a programme is something which appears on television - unless you're a Yank of course.

A vigorous movement?

However tedious correcting of spelling and grammar is often regarded as poor 'form' in internet forums as one never knows the academic or linguistic capability of people who may be posting. Both may be hampered by illness, condition or indeed level of intellect or even disability.

Whilst I don't claim I have never done it I try to avoid it if I can because one never knows if it may offend or indeed anger or upset somebody when you do. I am not claiming you did in this case but rather that I think it's best avoided overall.

Edited by MJG

However tedious correcting of spelling and grammar is often regarded as poor 'form' in internet forums as one never knows the academic or linguistic capability of people who may be posting. Both may be hampered by illness, condition or indeed level of intellect or even disability.

Whilst I don't claim I have never done it I try to avoid it if I can because one never knows if it may offend or indeed anger or upset somebody when you do. I am not claiming you did in this case but rather that I think it's best avoided overall.

Indeed. Pedagogy at its worst.

God preserve us from The Grammar Police and pedants. I often wonder why people have to demonstrate to the world that they have a superior intellect by taking to task the spelling etc of fellow posters. Personally I'm not bothered by the odd error because it just serves to show that we all are less than perfect ( well most of us )

Phil