Barging About Britain

Sarahr

Featured Posts

Very dull prog; no originality or spark. How did it get a prime time slot on ITV?

Prime indeed. What in the name of ( insert whatever you need to here ) were ITV thinking. I realise that the Friday night slot isn't as prime as the Sunday/Midweek slots. But ................Slouches, Shakes head, walks away.

Maybe, but newcomers to the canal probably don't relate to what interests us. Bingley Five Rise could be a real turn off for a novice that knows little about locks apart from them being complicated and heavy.

But they would have seen that to negotiate that flight (and the Three Rise) you get the assistance of the lockie's.

The Five Rise is one of the 'Seven Wonders of the waterways' and is a tourist attraction in itself.

CRT Five Rise link

Although not as spectacular as the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, which looks like it will feature in the series it is (I would argue) the most significant structure on the whole canal. To omit it was a big omission. At least the Burnley Embankment (Another of the 'Seven wonders') featured, though if you weren't familiar with it you wouldn't have realised.

But they would have seen that to negotiate that flight (and the Three Rise) you get the assistance of the lockie's.

The Five Rise is one of the 'Seven Wonders of the waterways' and is a tourist attraction in itself.

CRT Five Rise link

Although not as spectacular as the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, which looks like it will feature in the series it is (I would argue) the most significant structure on the whole canal. To omit it was a big omission. At least the Burnley Embankment (Another of the 'Seven wonders') featured, though if you weren't familiar with it you wouldn't have realised.

I didn't notice the Wigan flight either, suggesting it was not done from a boater's perspective. Like coffee table magazines, it's superficial, just like most TV. Nevertheless, there will be some of us commenting on future episodes.

Thanks for the link. It's interesting to see how much CRT are doing to engage with the public.

Edited by mango

There's ambition!

I did that (visited Ossie) when I lived in Blackburn. I hope you are not as disappointed as I was ...

Ah, but did you visit above or below 'The Lamp'. You may not have seen the real Gobbinland.

I still think the best programme for a general audience about the L&LC was a Bavarian Television programme, Letters from England, filmed back in 1992. Not because I was in it, but the Director was extremely good and interested, with stunning views of the canal and its surroundings. Better still, he had just finished a film on a German canal community, and arranged a trip for me on a 1200 tonner in Germany - 100 metres by 9 metres and handled just like a narrow boat, with a crew of a man and wife.

Ah, but did you visit above or below 'The Lamp'. You may not have seen the real Gobbinland.

I still think the best programme for a general audience about the L&LC was a Bavarian Television programme, Letters from England, filmed back in 1992. Not because I was in it, but the Director was extremely good and interested, with stunning views of the canal and its surroundings. Better still, he had just finished a film on a German canal community, and arranged a trip for me on a 1200 tonner in Germany - 100 metres by 9 metres and handled just like a narrow boat, with a crew of a man and wife.

That's new to me (Gobbinland, I looked it up), mind you I visited in 1968 or 69 so things have likely changed!

We knew that a friend of ours was helping out when they filmed that programme, and did in fact see her on the tiller taking the boat through the locks while John S pratted about working the lock. Its annoying that she is very knowledgeable about the canals and boats, having owned historic boats for many years (both working them and as a pleasure boat) together with her husband, and never got the chance to pass on any of that info. A programme about canals and boats, and they missed a golden opportunity to add to it.

We thought maybe the Black Price shot was bad editing and it actually belonged to next weeks Llangollen excursion.

Reckon you are correct. It puzzled me to as to the best of my knowledge, the only ex-Black Prince on the L&L licensed for hire belongs to us.

The other continuity error I spotted was a shot of Bank Newton Locks when he was talking about Barrowford but hey call me Mr Nit Picky.

Nice to see locals on Derry Mist with its lovely engine making an appearance.

On the whole though, I found it dull and uninspiring - unlike the Tim and Prunella which had a hugely positive impact on the holiday industry.

When he finished visiting Titus's empire,he boarded the boat and got hold of the tiller as if to sail into the sunset. It was still tied Fore and Aft.

What a waste of money that programme was. The guy who has just been found guilty of historic fumbling did a better job. Perhaps the whole series should have been on one Canal or even each episode concentrating on different aspects of the whole systems.

Martyn

We thought maybe the Black Price shot was bad editing and it actually belonged to next weeks Llangollen excursion.

The cynic in me might suggest that part of the deal with Black Prince was that one of their boats appears in every episode!

I seem to recall that the production company wanted a number of boats placed at intervals along the canal so they could do all their filming in just one or two days! Leeds to Foulridge in 10 minutes of telly time? No wonder they missed the best bits!

But, as someone has already said, empty canals! Some you win, some you lose. wink.png Can't be showing everyone 100% how good it is. Everyone will want to visit! wink.png

In that sense it was very accurate - apart from a few miles around Skipton the L&L is usually empty. You'll have no problem with mooring almost anywhere.

The slight caveat to that is 'if you don't mind using a boarding plank' of course.

Long stretches of concrete shelving can inhibit close in mooring to the side particularly between Skipton and East Marton (Arguably the best bit too).

Rather bland as has been suggested, but maybe boaters expect more. It was on between two episodes of that terminal mind fu**** Coronation St IIRC so should have got fair viewing statistics? I don't think it would do the canal cause any harm whatsoever in the eyes the general public, and I think that we are perhaps showing a slightly one sided, negative view on this forum. Given the available time slot, it wasn't too bad.

Edited by Guest

Rather bland as has been suggested, but maybe boaters expect more. It was on between two episodes of that terminal mind fu**** Coronation St IIRC so should have got fair viewing statistics? I don't think it would do the canal cause any harm whatsoever in the eyes the general public, and I think that we are perhaps showing a slightly one sided, negative view on this forum. Given the available time slot, it wasn't too bad.

I would suggest that the Corrie adicts (& there a a few of them) use that 1/2 hour to have a piddle, make the tea, wash up or whatever & that's why there is so much dross in that slot.

I would suggest that the Corrie adicts (& there a a few of them) use that 1/2 hour to have a piddle, make the tea, wash up or whatever & that's why there is so much dross in that slot.

That of course is a distinct possibility. I am not a big TV watcher really so my knowledge of such things is limited. I still believe the programme in question might have had some benefit for canals and their future, though.