Barging About Britain

Sarahr

Featured Posts

John Sargeant was on Chris Evans show on radio 2 this morning. He very strongly emphasised the difference between a barge and a narrowboat, talked most positively about the canals, and put up a stout defence against Chris Evans outrage that you could drive a "20 ton super-yacht with a 3000 horsepower engine" on the canal without needing a licence.

With 3000hp I could make quicker progress up to Llangollen. Might even manage 4mph over the aqueducts and through the tunnels.

Missed it tonight. Again!

But from the TV listing:

Aire and Calder The broadcaster explores the 34-mile Aire and Calder Navigation, built to connect the industrial cities of north-east England with the east coast. Along the way, he learns how to stone-grind flour in Castleford, tries his hand at aerobics on the edge of a lock in Woodlesford near Leeds, and samples Yorkshire's answer to champagne

Doesn't sound as though the programme is much interested in boating to me.

MtB

Real boats so far tonight!

Enjoyed this one, but as it was our home waterway perhaps I am biased. Good to see Humber Princess, Casteford Flood lock and one of our favourite mooring spots Woodlesford put in an appearance.

It rightfully showed the A&CN in a positive light.

Ed. And they didn't miss them making lock gates for the Oxford Canal at Stanley Ferry.

Edited by MJG

I thought it was interesting. As someone who has not boated on those waters as yet I enjoyed it and the canal was shown in a positive light and certainly reinforced the view that I want to get up that way sometime in the boat.

I didn't mind the off canal stuff with different people it added some human aspect to the piece.

• Greenie 2

Or the dangers of standing on the counter alongside the tiller, outside the doors of his Shire Cruisers semi-trad?

On the Aire and Calder going forwards?

Funny......no real danger involved.

As for cills..well.if anybody ever gets hung up on a cill in a lock on the A&CN well truly, there are no words.

Edited by MJG

smiley_offtopic.gif The Humber Princess had to be pushed into Rotherham yesterday, she picked up a interior sprung mattress around the prop sick.gif They pumped the oil to the bow plus filled the ballast tanks so the prop was out of water to clear it all I could think was wish Joyce could do that cloud9.gif . Nothing to do with Barging around Britain I know.

I was surprised tonight though when their was no mention or even showing New Junction, still on the whole its an enjoyable half hour and if it raises the profile of canals thats all good.

Peter

:smiley_offtopic: The Humber Princess had to be pushed into Rotherham yesterday, she picked up a interior sprung mattress around the prop :sick: They pumped the oil to the bow plus filled the ballast tanks so the prop was out of water to clear it all I could think was wish Joyce could do that :cloud9: . Nothing to do with Barging around Britain I know.

I was surprised tonight though when their was no mention or even showing New Junction, still on the whole its an enjoyable half hour and if it raises the profile of canals thats all good.

Peter

I know I've posted this before but here is us passing Humber Princess on the New Junction last year(well I think it was!)...

Peter

Yes the Sykehouse puzzle bridge and lock could actually have made a good bit of TV......

On the Aire and Calder going forwards?

Funny......no real danger involved.

As for cills..well.if anybody ever gets hung up on a cill in a lock on the A&CN well truly, there are no words.

Even after what seems like a lifetime on boats (far from it), hanging on the cill is my biggest nightmare to this day. I would have to kill myself immediately if I ever did that!

I know I've posted this before but here is us passing Humber Princess on the New Junction last year(well I think it was!)..

Well it's certainly the Humber Princess and it's certainly The New Junction canal.

Yes the Sykehouse puzzle bridge and lock could actually have made a good bit of TV......

true I can still remember my first time sick.gif also Thorne town lock similar problems, we were so green and someone had knicked the instructions still we made it

Peter

I thought last night's episode was the best so far. There again I have yet to boat on those waters.

So far the series has improved with each episode, or perhaps my standards are slipping?

Still if it tempts someone new to walk the canal or hire a boat then for me it will have done its job by promoting the canals.

Aren't the canals busy enough already??!!

:)

MtB

Maybe, but we do need a new younger generation to keep boats on the system in years to come.

Like we need young tax payers to fund retirees pensions.