Barging About Britain

Sarahr

Featured Posts

Aren't the canals busy enough already??!!

smile.png

MtB

NOT around them parts they aint. It would be great to see more hire boats on the Northern Waterways and the A&CN and S&SYN in particular. We Occasionally see a Silsden boat that has ventured as far south as Castleford or one of the Yorkshire Narrowboats from Sprotbrough but hire boats are as rare as hen's teeth on those waterways.

NOT around them parts they aint. It would be great to see more hire boats on the Northern Waterways and the A&CN and S&SYN in particular. We Occasionally see a Silsden boat that has ventured as far south as Castleford or one of the Yorkshire Narrowboats from Sprotbrough but hire boats are as rare as hen's teeth on those waterways.

You are right on the nose there I have only ever seen the Sprotborough boat and that was when it was moored. When going over the penines on the Huddersfield narrow there were loads of hire boats but none want to venture our way captain.gif

Peter

Enjoyed this one, but as it was our home waterway perhaps I am biased. Good to see Humber Princess, Casteford Flood lock and one of our favourite mooring spots Woodlesford put in an appearance.

It rightfully showed the A&CN in a positive light.

Ed. And they didn't miss them making lock gates for the Oxford Canal at Stanley Ferry.

Yes, I enjoyed it as well - showing the A&CN in a very good light indeed. I must say I didn't know about the vineyard, and they missed out his visit to the Knottingley glass works. He rather 'under sold' the Humber Princess though - 11 lorry loads indeed! Tanker lorries carry about 25 tonnes (44 tonnes gross) so Princess can carry the equivalent of 24 lorries though she carries a bit less up to Exol at Rotherham as the Oil depot is above the modernised section of the waterway and the hard bed of the canal limits dredging and therefore draught available to about 7ft 6 in. .

And my friend's name is Gerald Whiteley not Jones! (I wonder where John got that from).

regards

David L

Edited by fanshaft

A nice ship - did it come across the North Sea?

Sailed from Haugesund, Norway to Shetland. The mast broke about 100 miles out of Shetland. They motored on ( Yes, modern Viking ships have 2 deisel engines with hydraulic drive) They found a suitable Douglas fir tree in Scotland, made a new mast in about 6 days, then sailed back.

Sailed from Haugesund, Norway to Shetland. The mast broke about 100 miles out of Shetland. They motored on ( Yes, modern Viking ships have 2 deisel engines with hydraulic drive) They found a suitable Douglas fir tree in Scotland, made a new mast in about 6 days, then sailed back.

Thank you. I am looking for a photo - for a talk I am doing later this year - to illustrate the difference between barges, short boats, wide boats, narrow boats and long boats. I think I've now found one for the long boat.... Unless you are going to tell me that a Viking ship should not be called a long boat ?

Thank you. I am looking for a photo - for a talk I am doing later this year - to illustrate the difference between barges, short boats, wide boats, narrow boats and long boats. I think I've now found one for the long boat.... Unless you are going to tell me that a Viking ship should not be called a long boat ?

Down here in darkest Glos the term longboat is often used for a narrow boat

Down here in darkest Glos the term longboat is often used for a narrow boat

It is - and then some smartarse always asks if you are referring to the Vikings.

This is your opportunity to sneer suitably and point out that the Vikings sailed in *Longships*, not Longboats.

It is - and then some smartarse always asks if you are referring to the Vikings.

This is your opportunity to sneer suitably and point out that the Vikings sailed in *Longships*, not Long

Ah now how about "monkey boats" in the London area.......... how to explain that one!

This is your opportunity to sneer suitably and point out that the Vikings sailed in *Longships*, not Longboats.

I'll try and remember that one!

Just read this thread from beginning to end, so it may seem like i jumped onto the bandwagon a wee bit late.

I know it's not as in-depth as most would like, and a lot of iconic stuff has been missing from the canals thus far. But, as someone who hires and lives in Dubai, what's not to like? I can see canals, i can see boats moving, i can see the people who work/live around the canals. Most importantly, it's all on Friday night TV which whatever way you feel, can only be a good thing.

Edited to add that i absolutely cannot wait for Tim and Pru's program on C4 this weekend as i thoroughly enjoyed last season.

Edited by Cruising Mike

• 2 weeks later...