Tug by Braunston foot bridge

zenataomm

Featured Posts

I've always had my eye drawn to the riveted tug tied up on the tow path by the footpath towards Braunstone bottom lock.

BraunstoneTug.png

[piccie courtesy of Google Tow Path view]

My addled brain recounts I've dribbled over this boat for more than thirty years, however I can't be trusted and regularly need to be put firmly in my place.

She has the most gorgeous clipper stern and must have an interesting history.

It always seems to be in the same position, does it ever move?.... is it sitting on a silt bar?

She looks low enough to be carrying an engine, but she could naturally be a deep draught anyway.

It has no index number nor have I ever seen a licence, in fact when I passed recently it looked as if it had the remains of a CRT notice on it.

Anybody know the story?

zenataomm

The other tug around Braunston that is of interest (well to me anyway!) is the old back half of our boat.

When we had a new 20 foot stern added in 1994, we did a part exchange, and our old stern had a new bow stuck on and was converted to a little tug/workboat. I think called Frog. I last saw it a few years ago on the bank near the M45 bridge on the N Oxford ... I wish I had kept the Bolin pump from the radiator system ...

The other tug around Braunston that is of interest (well to me anyway!) is the old back half of our boat.

When we had a new 20 foot stern added in 1994, we did a part exchange, and our old stern had a new bow stuck on and was converted to a little tug/workboat. I think called Frog. I last saw it a few years ago on the bank near the M45 bridge on the N Oxford ... I wish I had kept the Bolin pump from the radiator system ...

If this was done by Roger Farrington, was the boat called Thud, as least for a while?

Chris G

She's called Rennie.

She was there in 94 when I spent my first winter on the cut :)

I think she is off the Wey but not sure

Quite a lot on her on Google

Shame about the horrific cabin on it, really spoils it imo

(stern cabin I mean)

I imagine the boat must have received numerous offers to buy but for some reason it just is not for sale. I can't believe it looks exactly like it did 20 years ago. Has it got a cc license laugh.png

I was talking to a bloke a few years ago about this boat and he said she rolled over once while towing a lighter. Being so narrow she is very tender. I might be confusing the boat with another called White Heather which is a similar boat (but longer) and narrow as well.

Edited by magnetman

• 9 years later...

Its coming up to 10 years since the original post. I walked along the towpath at Braunston a couple of weeks ago and she is still there. It looks as if the paint has been sanded off but is looking much the same. I must admit it was a brief encounter as I was walking with a group of friends. It looks such a fascinating little tug and so deserving of a loving owner.  From the thread it looks as if she may have been there for 40 years. It would be good to know if there is a project to restore her?

Why do we neglect our historic vessels and but (rightly) preserve old buildings?  

David 

Yes, Rennie. I thought Robin Hewitt fetched her off the Thames but that doesn't rule out a Wey connection. Engine taken out and some steelwork done (Farrington) soon after arrival in Braunston, draught is deep at 3'6'' (my possibly faulty memory from over 30 years ago). And yes, Jona at UCC is the person to ask.

scrumpylurcher's post noted, I couldn't possibly comment ...

On 09/04/2024 at 22:26, Richard Carter said:

Yes, Rennie. I thought Robin Hewitt fetched her off the Thames but that doesn't rule out a Wey connection. Engine taken out and some steelwork done (Farrington) soon after arrival in Braunston, draught is deep at 3'6'' (my possibly faulty memory from over 30 years ago). And yes, Jona at UCC is the person to ask.

scrumpylurcher's post noted, I couldn't possibly comment ...

It is my understanding that the tug will not have a new engine installed, whilst the square box welded into the centre of the superstructure still remains in place.

At least the square box over the helm area stops it filling with rain water. One wonders what the ventilation is like. It could be in a very poor state internally if it is not properly aired. 

17 hours ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.png

From 8Sep2022 ...

spacer.png

From 25Jun2023

People seem to keep referring to this as riveted.   Is it?

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

At least the square box over the helm area stops it filling with rain water. 

Does it?  It loooks like the flat(ish) room has large holes in it.

Edited by alan_fincher

Oh yes I missed that picture on my phone for some reason. 

So there will be plenty of air movement. 

It is definitely riveted. 

I think the front bit of the cabin is the original engine room. 

Whereas the back part of the cabin has been added later for accommodation porpoises. 

Edited by magnetman

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Oh yes I missed that picture on my phone for some reason. 

So there will be plenty of air movement. 

It is definitely riveted. 

I think the front bit of the cabin is the original engine room. 

Whereas the back part of the cabin has been added later for accommodation porpoises. 

do you mean dolphins ?

3 hours ago, J R ALSOP said:

I always thought it was "Tyburn",

The hull of the old Worcester and Birmingham tug Birmingham aka Tyburn is “preserved” at Tardebigge Locks.

what a waste!

Paul

IMG_1227.jpeg

3 hours ago, J R ALSOP said:

I always thought it was "Tyburn",

it isn't Tyburn. Tyburn was at Uxbridge by the bin store near the Shovel pub at the same time as Rennie was in Braun St On. 

Similar but not the same Boat. Someone told me Tyburn is now on land at a museum somewhere. 

24 minutes ago, Paul H said:

The hull of the old Worcester and Birmingham tug Birmingham aka Tyburn is “preserved” at Tardebigge Locks.

what a waste!

Paul

IMG_1227.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Paul H said:

what a waste!

Paul

IMG_1227.jpeg

I remember it being towed away from Uxbridge. That was a while ago. 

Nice article. 

But yes it is an example of a Boat which should be on water not land.

Tyburn was owned by Jim MacDonald, he operated it as a mobile welder on The Erewash.  It was previously a hire boat with Wyvern, 60s I think. 

Jim purchased an HA3 as a demonstration model at the Boat Show where it was on display.  He hooked it up to a massive generator/welder and installed it on board.

It was at that point he discovered there were no pistons nor con rods included.  He sold it on in the 80s to a chap called Mike Fox.

4 hours ago, Annie cariad said:

Bloody shame loads of interest over the years some issue over ownership she will sink/die on those moorings .... guess one of the owners will claim victory.....planks 

In the meantime someone presumably, is paying to licence it? 

If not why do CRT allow it? 

Licensing of boats on the canals is a relatively recent arrangement.  Olive at The Anchor on the Shropshire Union Canal used to say that her old boat did not need to have a licence or pay for its mooring alongside the towpath.  Perhaps this boat has been there so long that it pre-dates the licence system.