Best way through Birmingham

Pete & Helen

Featured Posts

Hi, We are travelling from Autherley Junction to Fazeley in a few day time and would like your advice on the best way to transit through Wolverhampton and Birmingham.

Best/Safest places to stop

Any no go areas

Places to avoid due to the condition of the canal and the high probability of picking up a mattress on the prop or some other unsavoury items

Places or things to see and do

Anything else you think may be of use

Thanks

As to route the simplest is to just take the Main Line. First night stop at Black Country Museum, you can then take the Old Mian Line from there to Smetwick before joining the New Main Line to the centre of Birmingham for the next night. From there B&F to the Dog & Doublet at Bodymoor Heath, and on the Fazeley the next day.

There are plenty of variations on stops you could do if you want to take longer.

Edited by john6767

It is possible to do Autherley to Gas Street in one day. Suggest that you try and go up Wolverhampton flight fairly early in the day.Remember that some of the locks will have locks on the paddles which need a T key to open them. No real problems in Birmingham - the old main line is more interesting route, if you have time go round the loops.

All been said, but:-

The Old Main Line is more pleasant - no loud train line running alongside and prettier (relatively).

Plus a large Tesco Sainsburys about 200m away with mooring rings for re-provisioning.

I like the old main line and i like Farmers Bridge so you can do them both!

I have done Autherley to Gas Street in a day but as others have said you can stop at the Black Country Museum on the way.

I believe Star City and Cuckoo wharf near Salford Junction are OK for overnight mooring but I have never tried them myself.

Have a great trip.

I generally do Compton to Gas Street in one go, I have on occasion stopped overnight at the secure mooring in Wolverhampton which is OK as long as you don't need to get off the boat for anything. I prefer the Old Line in to Birmingham. Then I would do Birmingham to Bodymoor Heath in one go but again I have stopped at Star City overnight without issue.

Or you can use one of the less-travelled routes. The quickest for you would be New Main Line to Pudding Green, then down Ryders Green and the Tame Valley Canal which will deposit you on the Birmingham and Fazeley at Salford Bridge (under Spaghetti Junction).

The OP asked for the BEST route through Birmingham, not the most challenging! Getting some of those Ryders Green gates open enough to get a boat through is not easy, plus the shopping trolley obstructions under the footbridge and general lack of depth...... Lovely overnight mooring at Ocker Hill though.

Tame Valley is not the most attractive.

.................Dave

My wife and me, along with two young children have twice done the run from the top of Farmers Bridge to the Dog & Doublet in a day, all be it a full day. The food at the D&D is good as is the beer. The children like ie as there is a play ground and the next day we can be at Drayton Manor park for a day out.

We too have usually come up the 21 and stopped at the BCLM overnight and gone into Brum via the Old Main Line

Did the Wolverhampton 21 today and overnight at the Black Country Museum. Going to Gas St tomorrow. How long can you moor there for? I assume the moorings are either side of the bar. No charge is there ?

Edited by Pete & Helen

Did the Wolverhampton 21 today and overnight at the Black Country Museum. Going to Gas St tomorrow. How long can you moor there for? I assume the moorings are either side of the bar. No charge is there ?

Mooring actually in gas st basin is a bit limited and not recommended IMO, plenty of 48 hr moorings beyond on the W&B up to Salvage turn, but can be noisy. There is one 14 day space just after the services (beyond salvage turn) and maybe more, not sure if the ones outside Kinaree Thai restaurant are time limited. Anyway, most folk moor on the main line between Sheepcote st bridge and Old Turn Jn which is 48 hr, or the bit between st Vincent's st bridge and Sheepcote st bridge which is 14 day. Cambrian basin (top of farmer's bridge) is also 14 day.

No charges anywhere.

Mooring actually in gas st basin is a bit limited and not recommended IMO, plenty of 48 hr moorings beyond on the W&B up to Salvage turn, but can be noisy. There is one 14 day space just after the services (beyond salvage turn) and maybe more, not sure if the ones outside Kinaree Thai restaurant are time limited. Anyway, most folk moor on the main line between Sheepcote st bridge and Old Turn Jn which is 48 hr, or the bit between st Vincent's st bridge and Sheepcote st bridge which is 14 day. Cambrian basin (top of farmer's bridge) is also 14 day.

No charges anywhere.

Cheers for that

No charges anywhere.

The moorings outside the Kinaree were 48-hour last ime I moored there.

No charges anywhere.

Pete & Helen - don't listen to him! Gas Street Basin is the best mooring in the country (world?). I am biased though!

Pete & Helen - don't listen to him! Gas Street Basin is the best mooring in the country (world?). I am biased though!

I seem to recall mr Junior of this parish wishing he had heeded me! I guess the noise depends on the day of the week. With its easy but discreet street access I'm not sure those VMs opposite you are the most secure.