Aliens in our canals

Ray T

Featured Posts

We have terrapins in the Selby canal and have had for a number of years. They, apparently, were originally pets that got too big and were released. They breed in the warm outlet from Drax Power Station which outfalls into the Ouse and find their way into the canal from there. We have four or five sightings a year and I don't take my boat out that often. They like to bask in warm sunshine sitting on exposed logs. Apparently red eared terrapins, which is what they are in the Selby Canal at least, can be quite viscious and can give a nasty bite. A couple that I have seen have easily been the size of dinner plates.

There is a terrapin the size of a saucer near the Ragged School museum at Mile End near Limehouse. We normally see them around Cookham and Pangbourne on the Thames sunbathing on fallen trees.

Never occurred to me there were enough of them to be a danger to indigenous species

They seem rare.

I was quite surprised this summer to spot a small crocodile up near Abingdon this summer. Its only the second time I have ever seen one in UK waters :)

Quite small, I don't think they survive long :rolleyes:

Ah, that explains it.

While coming up the Paddington Arm around Southall a few weeks ago I saw what I at first took to be a very large pet tortoise that had fallen into the canal. But when I got closer I saw that it was swimming very competently!

So, presumably it was a terrapin. It was big, I reckon at least ten inches long.

There were many in the lakes in Vicky Park in London, and they attacked the ducklings and goslings until there were very few waterfowl at all. They grabbed the little'uns and dragged them under. It wasn't uncommon to see at least 10 basking on logs in the sun.

However, they drained the lake and moved them out!

A terrapin regularly clambers on to some tree branches which droop into the water at the end of our garden on the Middle Levels, and basks there. It's not quite dinner plate size, more cereal-bowl. There appears to be only one of it, which is sad for the terrapin.

The pennywort has really taken a serious hold along the Soar this year. We saw small colonies in many places between Loughborough and Sileby a couple of months ago, but recent trips down to the Trent and up to Sileby have shown it to have exploded into huge clumps along the banks in most places.

We've seen terrapins quite a few times in many parts of the system over many years.

Snakes needn't be aliens though. Grass snakes and adders are good swimmers and native to this country. Slow worms, legless lizards, not snakes, are also native, but I don't know if they swim too. I see no reason why not though.

I've never seen any terrapins, but I saw quite a few big Chinese mitten crabs in the Brentford basin when I first moored there about 9 years ago. One was the size of a dinner plate. They must have come up from the Thames but for some reason I never saw them again after that day.

probably eaten by all the terrapins3.gif