Visitor moorings at Saltaire

Derek Porteous

Featured Posts

The fuss is that CRT spent money on nice moorings at Saltaire that are a good length and can hold a good number of boats (5-6), that can't be fully used due to a minority resident group that shouts a lot at CRT, the same ones that complain about the Mill opposite making Industrial noises during the day (who have thought a mill would make noises!). The moorings at Shipley can only hold 2 and half boats. The moorings where you describe aren't moorings but a towpath and most of this area has the banking falling away into the canal and fairly shallow.

When we were at Shipley we were the 4th boat to moor...

See my last post re mooring near the sports club. The tow path is a good place to moor, at least when there's piling as there is near the sports club. We've found some excellent "visitor moorings" but, in our experience, just as many bad ones as the proportion of good/bad towpath places to moor - though we've noticed many old wharves where a bit of pruning will give a safe and reasonably convenient overnight stop.

The other Saltaire mill building now holds small business units and the Hockney art gallery I believe. I doubt there's much "industrial noise"...

When we were at Shipley we were the 4th boat to moor...

See my last post re mooring near the sports club. The tow path is a good place to moor, at least when there's piling as there is near the sports club. We've found some excellent "visitor moorings" but, in our experience, just as many bad ones as the proportion of good/bad towpath places to moor - though we've noticed many old wharves where a bit of pruning will give a safe and reasonably convenient overnight stop.

The other Saltaire mill building now holds small business units and the Hockney art gallery I believe. I doubt there's much "industrial noise"...

There isn't enough for 4 average size boats at Shipley on the visitor moorings, the third one wouldn't be able to use the rings at both ends of the boat, and it's a hard path so no pins,etc.

The tow path is okay in a few places from Saltaire to Hirst Lock (West of Saltaire), but it isn't all pilling and a few areas are suitable for mooring. The other direction is better to Shipley (East), pillings all the way.

I work in the Mill so I presume I have a little more local knowledge smile.png, I know what businesses are here and what noises they make and I also know what complaints they've had from opposite which I presume is from MrShouty.

Edited by Robbo

There isn't enough for 4 average size boats at Shipley on the visitor moorings, the third one wouldn't be able to use the rings at both ends of the boat, and it's a hard path so no pins,etc.

The tow path is okay in a few places from Saltaire to Hirst Lock (West of Saltaire), but it isn't all pilling and a few areas are suitable for mooring. The other direction is better to Shipley (East), pillings all the way.

I work in the Mill so I presume I have a little more local knowledge smile.png, I know what businesses are here and what noises they make and I also know what complaints they've had from opposite which I presume is from MrShouty.

The fact that the bank is piled is no guarantee of useable depth :(

Tim

The fact that the bank is piled is no guarantee of useable depth sad.png

Tim

True, and you don't see boats just East of Saltaire towards Shipley along the piling, West towards Hirst Lock you see a few, but I know it's shallow here as quite a few boats I've seen have had issues if coming into to moor.

During the day, the Saltaire visitor moorings hardly get used either, mostly nothing or a couple at most. Total waste.

Edited by Robbo

At one time there was talk about putting visitor moorings and services alongside the car park on the Shipley side of the mill. A new building had been suggested there to include a cafe, offices, etc, with the chance of services for boats on the ground floor. The current financial situation has probably put paid to the project.

At one time there was talk about putting visitor moorings and services alongside the car park on the Shipley side of the mill. A new building had been suggested there to include a cafe, offices, etc, with the chance of services for boats on the ground floor. The current financial situation has probably put paid to the project.

There was talk of improving the ground floor for outside between a couple of the Mills buildings, and opening out on the canal but I think one of the attractions pulled out so lost out on lottery money (I think) so it's not gone ahead (yet).

When I was last there, one boat had knocked pins in at the end of the row, that had left room for us to moor at the other end...

Roger

When I was last there, one boat had knocked pins in at the end of the row, that had left room for us to moor at the other end...

Roger

There was a boat at Shipley yesterday that was doing the same at one end, had a pin in. I think it's a brick path and the pin was between the bricks and concrete (or stone?) banking, so wasn't in very far in and if alot of boaters do this the path won't last long. I believe these visitor moorings are on private land but CRT have permission to use for official visitor moorings.

Edited by Robbo

• 1 year later...

I am one of the Saltaire residents who lives overlooking the canal (I'm NOT "MrShoutyMan!) but can offer some perspective on the situation.

Firstly let me say that everyone I know loves having the boats on the canal, and many of us actually moved here to be close to water.

There are two problems with boats mooring alongside the apartments, which were pointed out to British Waterways (as it was at the time) when the moorings were built in 2005. (They were built with the towpath widened as part of the programme to reinforce the canal wall.)

The first problem concerns noise - for those who've been here, you'll be aware of Salts Mill immediately on the south side of the canal. Thus we have two very tall buildings, and it means that even normal level conversations get amplified and can be heard quite a way away. Supposedly private conversations can be anything but! The sound of engines being run early in the morning or late at night can disturb sleep patterns.

The second problem concerns fumes from diesel engines left running or wood burners. On one occasion I had to curtail a dinner party as the fumes came into my apartment and we started coughing with sore throats. We went out but when returned several hours later the apartment was still smelling of smoke. The level of smoke coming in through open windows could set off a smoke alarm, so picture this scenario. A resident is out and their alarm's triggered by smoke from a wood burner on a boat and the fire brigade smash down a door fearing a fire the other side of it.

If the moorings were installed 100 yards east of where they are at the moment, all of these potential problems would be solved. As I said at the start of my comments, people love the colour and the vibrancy of the boats, and tourism is good for the local economy. Hopefully this has explained why there are concerns, which I believe will be addressed shortly by moving the moorings beyond the apartments.

Thank you for reading.

I am one of the Saltaire residents who lives overlooking the canal (I'm NOT "MrShoutyMan!) but can offer some perspective on the situation.

Firstly let me say that everyone I know loves having the boats on the canal, and many of us actually moved here to be close to water.

There are two problems with boats mooring alongside the apartments, which were pointed out to British Waterways (as it was at the time) when the moorings were built in 2005. (They were built with the towpath widened as part of the programme to reinforce the canal wall.)

The first problem concerns noise - for those who've been here, you'll be aware of Salts Mill immediately on the south side of the canal. Thus we have two very tall buildings, and it means that even normal level conversations get amplified and can be heard quite a way away. Supposedly private conversations can be anything but! The sound of engines being run early in the morning or late at night can disturb sleep patterns.

The second problem concerns fumes from diesel engines left running or wood burners. On one occasion I had to curtail a dinner party as the fumes came into my apartment and we started coughing with sore throats. We went out but when returned several hours later the apartment was still smelling of smoke. The level of smoke coming in through open windows could set off a smoke alarm, so picture this scenario. A resident is out and their alarm's triggered by smoke from a wood burner on a boat and the fire brigade smash down a door fearing a fire the other side of it.

If the moorings were installed 100 yards east of where they are at the moment, all of these potential problems would be solved. As I said at the start of my comments, people love the colour and the vibrancy of the boats, and tourism is good for the local economy. Hopefully this has explained why there are concerns, which I believe will be addressed shortly by moving the moorings beyond the apartments.

Thank you for reading.

I'm afraid that all still smacks of nimbyism.

The canal was there before you were.

I am one of the Saltaire residents who lives overlooking the canal (I'm NOT "MrShoutyMan!) but can offer some a land based, one sided perspective on the situation.

Firstly let me say that everyone I know loves having the boats on the canal Yes we like looking at the gaily coloured barges of the water gypsys. What! Do they actually live on them? and many of us actually moved here to be close to water.

The first problem concerns noise - for those who've been here, you'll be aware of Salts Mill immediately on the south side of the canal. Thus we have two very tall buildings, and it means that even normal level conversations get amplified and can be heard quite a way away. Supposedly private conversations can be anything but! The sound of engines being run early in the morning or late at night can disturb sleep patterns. Is 08:00 early and 20:00 late?

The second problem concerns fumes from diesel engines left running or wood burners. On one occasion I had to curtail a dinner party as the fumes came into my apartment and we started coughing with sore throats. We went out but when returned several hours later the apartment was still smelling of smoke. The level of smoke coming in through open windows could set off a smoke alarm, so picture this scenario. A resident is out and their alarm's triggered by smoke from a wood burner on a boat and the fire brigade smash down a door fearing a fire the other side of it. Scaremongering, and in such a case the smoke alarm would clearly be not fit for purpose.

If the moorings were installed 100 yards east of where they are at the moment, all of these potential problems would be solved. ie not in my back yard As I said at the start of my comments, people love the colour and the vibrancy of the boats, Yes, very pretty to look at and tourism is good for the local economy. Yes, we want you to spend your money. But no, we don't want you to spend the night with us. Hopefully this has explained why there are concerns, which I believe will be addressed shortly by moving the moorings beyond the apartments. The next parish would be better but one can't have all one wishes for, can one.

Thank you for reading.

Edited by Victor Vectis

Thank you for reading.

Did you not check out the situation before you moved in?

For instance, one house I own is next door but one to a ginnel, used as a route to the bus and shops by people from a nearby social housing estate. The person who bought the house adjacent to the ginnel couldn't abide the traffic and tried to get the ginnel closed. Thankfully without success. Caveat emptor!

I've moored there on my way through in the early 2000. It was quiet. I had no trouble from the flat dwellers. I was apprehensive about cries of Gardy Loo though.

Did you not check out the situation before you moved in?

For instance, one house I own is next door but one to a ginnel, used as a route to the bus and shops by people from a nearby social housing estate. The person who bought the house adjacent to the ginnel couldn't abide the traffic and tried to get the ginnel closed. Thankfully without success. Caveat emptor!

I've moored there on my way through in the early 2000. It was quiet. I had no trouble from the flat dwellers. I was apprehensive about cries of Gardy Loo though.

I moved here in the mid 1990s, as did many other current residents. The moorings were built in 2005 - I thought I had explained that with this sentence in my original post

(They were built with the towpath widened as part of the programme to reinforce the canal wall.)

As for another poster asking this - Is 08:00 early and 20:00 late?

They may be for some people - 7am and 11.30pm certainly are as has often been the case, especially when people are sitting out on their boats with music going. It's not really for others to question though. I am sure you wouldn't like someone doing something similar 15 yards from your windows!

Is it that unreasonable to ask for some peace and quiet and not having fumes coming into our homes?

They may be for some people - 7am and 11.30pm certainly are as has often been the case, especially when people are sitting out on their boats with music going. It's not really for others to question though. I am sure you wouldn't like someone doing something similar 15 yards from your windows!

Is it that unreasonable to ask for some peace and quiet and not having fumes coming into our homes?

I'm sure you get ar*ehole people living in flats playing music to all hours (and I know this is a common complaint for those flats as just as other flats are), shall we ban all people from been in the flats from 6pm to 8am then just because a few of your neighbours aren't considerate because thats' exactly what's happened.

Saltaire is a real let down for visitors (The crown jewels of Salts Mill is very poor) and could be a really nice place but a good few residents are up there a*se with it been a "heritage" village.

• Greenie 1

Anyone running their engine or generator between 8pm and 8am is out of order. Plain and simple, no argument. (See terms of CaRT licence)

Well, yes. If you have bought a flat by a canal and then try to impose your own terms and conditions on those who use the water.

I am disappointed in some of the comments to SaltsLad. While I do feel that the boaters have a point about it being a canal and it was there before the flats, however the right to moor should not mean the right to be antisocial. Smoke entering your home is not something anyone would want (I don't know if shutting the window would have helped). Loud music at night is also antisocial, and if this happens in the regularly shore community then action can be taken, a boat is a different matter because it can be here today gone tomorrow.

The signage at this mooring is like a red rag to bull to some folk and I feel that it could be done in a more helpful way. Simply asking for consideration for the neighbours may go some way, but if moving the mooring is possible then that may be a much better solution. Just don't move it so far away as to be useless for visitors.

Bob

IThey may be for some people - 7am and 11.30pm certainly are as has often been the case, especially when people are sitting out on their boats with music going. It's not really for others to question though. I am sure you wouldn't like someone doing something similar 15 yards from your windows!

As well as complaining about the boats that moor on the canal, the residents of those flats also complain about the mill opposite, like having the office lights on when it's dark and industrial noise (the mill is still an industrial place of work).

The signage at this mooring is like a red rag to bull to some folk and I feel that it could be done in a more helpful way. Simply asking for consideration for the neighbours may go some way, but if moving the mooring is possible then that may be a much better solution. Just don't move it so far away as to be useless for visitors.

The residents committee of those flats are really up their own a*se's, it's not just the boats they don't like but the Mill opposite. They want it be a nice place to live, but without the industrial parts for which the whole place only exists and for which the only reason the Mill could keep going today.

I am disappointed in some of the comments to SaltsLad. While I do feel that the boaters have a point about it being a canal and it was there before the flats, however the right to moor should not mean the right to be antisocial. Smoke entering your home is not something anyone would want (I don't know if shutting the window would have helped). Loud music at night is also antisocial, and if this happens in the regularly shore community then action can be taken, a boat is a different matter because it can be here today gone tomorrow.

Bob

I agree that there are alternatives possible that are not inconvenient. In particular it is useful to note that overnight mooring either way is not so readily available, if I recall. However, I would have more sympathy if the residents offered to meet the costs - the moorings were not outwith any rules or regulations and so if they want them shifted they should pay for it.

• Greenie 1

Whilst I don't agree with salts lad entirely I do respect him for coming on and putting his side and think some responses are harsh.

I'm one of the people who have ignored the previous nonsensical signs at this spot and probably will do if necessary in the future...

To be honest mooring in a wind tunnel between two former mill buildings overlooked by flats wouldn't be my choice but the lack of reasonable alternatives in the immediate area means you don't really have much option. All it would take is a bit of dredging so you can get in to the side either side of this spot and problem solved imho....

We travelled through Saltaire, eastwards, a couple of months ago. Disappointed that we couldn't moor overnight. We moved on. Didn't spend any money.

We are now on a return run to Skipton and would like to see around the mill and other sights, but it does sound like we're not welcome.

Yes, I was well aware of the wind tunnel effect. Would this blow away any diesel fumes? Regarding fire smoke, I would only use my fire in cold weather, ie. Winter! Would all the windows be open in the adjacent flats in winter.

What actually happens if you do decide to moor over night. I have never, even with duff batteries, run my engine between 2000 and 0800.

Months ago, we moored not far from East Midlands airport. Those aeroplane things make a load of racket. I thought about calling the airport to request they close the airport as I was ill with man flu complete with aches and pains.

Martyn.