Visitor moorings at Saltaire

Derek Porteous

Featured Posts

We ourselves have moored overnight on the Saltaire visitor moorings without issue. However, when our hire boaters have moored there we always, without fail receive a rude & threatening email from the a***hole commonly referred to in these parts as 'Mrshoutyman'. We advise our boaters not to use the moorings but it is difficult to moor elsewhere in Saltaire so I don't blame them for using the moorings. I have written to CaRT and Saltaire Residents association about the lack of moorings in a World heritage site that is a fine example of the reason for the existance of the canals! I have not achieved anything with either party so gave up long ago. Just some dredging along the towpath between Hirst Lock and Victoria Road would solve the problem.

If someone is making threats they should be reported to the police.

As long as the alternative mooring you suggest is not likely to have boaters alienating other people and will not restrict navigation by wide-beam boats, that may be the best thing to push for. If CRT did not have to spend so much on enforcement of rules that are disregarded by some boaters there would be more to spend on improving moorings and maintenance of our canals.

As long as the alternative mooring you suggest is not likely to have boaters alienating other people and will not restrict navigation by wide-beam boats, that may be the best thing to push for. If CRT did not have to spend so much on enforcement of rules that are disregarded by some boaters there would be more to spend on improving moorings and maintenance of our canals.

I am not sure why dredging there to create better moorings would cause a problem for wide beams more than it would on any other stretch along there, surely it's just a normal tow path section where a boat could moor any way?

In fact if it was dredged there is even less likely hood of a boat moored well into the side interfering with the navigation of other boats.

Also you seem to be advocating boats should only be allowed to moor away from residential properties for fear of 'alienating people', a very dangerous precedent I would suggest.

Edited by The Dog House

Yes but bw already spent money on moorings by the mill then immediately spent more money putting up scary notices about fines.

I am not sure why dredging there to create better moorings would cause a problem for wide beams more than it would on any other stretch along there, surely it's just a normal tow path section where a boat could moor any way?

In fact if it was dredged there is even less likely hood of a boat moored well into the side interfering with the navigation of other boats.

Also you seem to be advocating boats should only be allowed to moor away from residential properties for fear of 'alienating people', a very dangerous precedent I would suggest.

All I was thinking about the practical issue of boats having room to pass, bearing in mind the number of widebeam boats using the canal.

In an ideal world we would all consider other people and avoid conflict but there's always going to be some people that cannot or will not do this. The more conflict we have, the more restrictions we are likely to have, and I certainly don't want that.

If you want to fight about whether you can moor in a particular place, just remember that if you moor beside a no-mooring sign you will look stupid to non-boaters (there are lots of them) and to those boaters who try to comply with the rules.

We ourselves have moored overnight on the Saltaire visitor moorings without issue. However, when our hire boaters have moored there we always, without fail receive a rude & threatening email from the a***hole commonly referred to in these parts as 'Mrshoutyman'. We advise our boaters not to use the moorings but it is difficult to moor elsewhere in Saltaire so I don't blame them for using the moorings. I have written to CaRT and Saltaire Residents association about the lack of moorings in a World heritage site that is a fine example of the reason for the existance of the canals! I have not achieved anything with either party so gave up long ago. Just some dredging along the towpath between Hirst Lock and Victoria Road would solve the problem.

We have just left Saltaire and your dredging suggestion seems the most obvious solution. I would have thought the local council would be very supportive; unless they have decided 6 hours is sufficient time to extract the maximum revenue from passing boater.

All I was thinking about the practical issue of boats having room to pass, bearing in mind the number of widebeam boats using the canal.

In an ideal world we would all consider other people and avoid conflict but there's always going to be some people that cannot or will not do this. The more conflict we have, the more restrictions we are likely to have, and I certainly don't want that.

If you want to fight about whether you can moor in a particular place, just remember that if you moor beside a no-mooring sign you will look stupid to non-boaters (there are lots of them) and to those boaters who try to comply with the rules.

It's been said before, but I'll reiterate, You don't buy a house next to a church and then complain about the bells! It has been tried, and I believe it did work somewhere. ( I can't remember exactly, but I'm sure I have heard it)

If you get a dwelling next to a canal you shouldn't expect to keep the boats away.

Bob

It's been said before, but I'll reiterate, You don't buy a house next to a church and then complain about the bells! It has been tried, and I believe it did work somewhere. ( I can't remember exactly, but I'm sure I have heard it)

If you get a dwelling next to a canal you shouldn't expect to keep the boats away.

Bob

I don't think many home owners are trying to prevent anyone using the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, so let's focus on the mooring issue. It's the Canal & River Trust or their predecessors that have put up the notice in question and as a boater you are required to comply with official notices.

Perhaps the best solution is to push for overnight mooring to be permitted on condition that stoves are not used or engines run, whichever is causing annoyance for the residents. Commonsense solutions have been found that allow church bells to be rung at certain times and not others. As boaters we should try and make friends with people rather than claim that we take priority.

Yes but bw already spent money on moorings by the mill then immediately spent more money putting up scary notices about fines.

I agree that they should not put up notices about fines if they don't intend to police this.

I was thinking the issue of boats passing was no more relevant than any where else so I don't really know why you mentioned it.

It's fine to talk about avoiding conflict but that is not the issue here, the issue here is (as I referred to earlier in the thread) the issue of issues like this just being the thin end of a very ( potentially very fat ) wedge.

I was thinking the issue of boats passing was no more relevant than any where else so I don't really know why you mentioned it.

It's fine to talk about avoiding conflict but that is not the issue here, the issue here is (as I referred to earlier in the thread) the issue of issues like this just being the thin end of a very ( potentially very fat ) wedge.

Too many issues to worry about. unsure.png

If you feel so strongly about this, what are YOU going to do about it then?

Well for one thing I'm not going to pontificate on an Internet forum about placating the local residents or 'avoiding conflict'.

It strikes me it's an issue to be taken up via. the local waterways partnership, that is of course unless YOU have any better suggestions.

Edited by The Dog House

Well for one thing I'm not going to pontificate on an Internet forum about placating the local residents or 'avoiding conflict'.

It strikes me it's an issue to be taken up via. the local waterways partnership.

By all means contact them but I don't believe that the Waterway Partnerships were set up to deal with local issues such as this. It might be better to approach the Leeds & Liverpool Canal Society, which is likely to have regular contact with CRT.

By all means contact them but I don't believe that the Waterway Partnerships were set up to deal with local issues such as this. It might be better to approach the Leeds & Liverpool Canal Society, which is likely to have regular contact with CRT.

I wasn't thinking of this from a 'local' perspective.

I don't think many home owners are trying to prevent anyone using the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, so let's focus on the mooring issue. It's the Canal & River Trust or their predecessors that have put up the notice in question and as a boater you are required to comply with official notices.

Perhaps the best solution is to push for overnight mooring to be permitted on condition that stoves are not used or engines run, whichever is causing annoyance for the residents. Commonsense solutions have been found that allow church bells to be rung at certain times and not others. As boaters we should try and make friends with people rather than claim that we take priority.

I agree that they should not put up notices about fines if they don't intend to police this.

There's no common sense about that. They bought the house and the bells are traditional, what right have they got to tell the village when they can ring them if it has been done for, possibly, centuries.

I reckon the tale of "Mr Angry" has a grain of truth in it, why put up a mooring and the restrict it in the way that they are trying to do? It's silly.

Bob

Edited by lyraboat

There's no common sense about that. They bought the house and the bells are traditional, what right have they got to tell the village when they can ring them if it has been done for, possibly, centuries.

I reckon the tale of "Mr Angry" has a grain of truth in it, why put up a mooring and the restrict it in the way that they are trying to do? It's silly.

Bob

Bells have been a nuisance for centuries too: https://www.churchofengland.org/media/394399/bells.pdf

I think you will find that compromises have been reached around the country to allow bells to continue to be rung, but at controlled hours. So I have been told by a campanologist.

If you look into the responsibilities of the Canal & River Trust you will find that it is not just to serve the interests of boaters.

Bells have been a nuisance for centuries too: https://www.churchofengland.org/media/394399/bells.pdf

I think you will find that compromises have been reached around the country to allow bells to continue to be rung, but at controlled hours. So I have been told by a campanologist.

If you look into the responsibilities of the Canal & River Trust you will find that it is not just to serve the interests of boaters.

Yes I can see that on a notice board at Saltaire, it would really help.

We have just left Saltaire and your dredging suggestion seems the most obvious solution. I would have thought the local council would be very supportive; unless they have decided 6 hours is sufficient time to extract the maximum revenue from passing boater.

I think this would solve the issue and have written to CaRT to suggest this. I have also responded to 'Mr Shouty Man' from the flats and suggested that were he to contact CaRT with the same suggestion - he contacts them every time a boat stays overnight on the mooring to report them - this may help us to find a solution. I have not received a response from CaRT or 'Mr Shouty Man' but I will now contact CaRT again and see if we can get something done.

Best of luck with getting dredging done to allow boats to moor alongside the towpath. It's not a huge job, especially if it can be done from the towpath rather than by boat.

I find it very sad that boaters are ignoring official signs. Many of us try to be responsible boaters but a growing number choose to comply with only those rules that suit them. The best examples are the number of overstayers or moorings and continuous cruisers that don't comply with the rules.

The Canal & River Trust does consider residents and has the unenviable task of trying to achieve sensible compromises between residents and boaters, e.g. https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/new-plans-to-help-boaters-and-residents-get-along-in-islington

• Greenie 1