Visitor moorings at Saltaire

Derek Porteous

Featured Posts

Hi Mango,

In 9 years of boating I do try to be considerate to others however most house owners near canals realise what they have bought and the problems that can arise from that. However all my issues have been when I moored near a new build and to be honest it is the builders at fault building to near the canal, and killing the canal in some cases (Birmingham green all over towpath from lack of sunlight). The minority of the afore mentioned house/flat owners will not tolerate a boat mooring where boats have moored for hundreds of years so they cause a huge fuss and BW/CRT dont have the backbone to say tough sxxt which is what they should do.

Peter

Thanks for being more understanding than some round here. I mentioned the need for planning, so agree with your point regarding the builders. I agree about the problems of excessive shading. You can do something about that if its caused by trees, but not by high buildings. The canals were built for transport and leisure boating has grown, especially in the last few decades. For various reasons, more people are living on boats. With increasing population and demand for houses rising it is unrealistic just to think about the wishes of boaters. We need to accommodate the needs of everyone. I expect that moorings will move to accommodate new developments but the number of mooring rings has grown considerably since I started boating. Our waterways are not just for boaters, walkers, anglers or those whose homes are alongside canals. Unless we all try to be considerate of others there's going to be more rules and regulations and one reason I go boating is to try to get away from that.

Here are the signs at Saltaire...

soz for quality, phone camera old n lens quite scratched.

Thanks for the photos. Now we know what we are talking about. Unlike some of the confusing signs I have encountered round the network, these are clear and I would comply.

Our waterways are not just for boaters, walkers, anglers or those whose homes are alongside canals.

Oh, come on, don't give me that rubbish!

How much do 'walkers, anglers or those whose homes are alongside canals' (and not forgetting Uncle Tom Cobbly et al while we're at it) pay for their use of the canals?

They are welcome to use the the canals but I have a boat and pay for a licence so I expect to have priority.

As someone pointed out to me recently, boats can move. That's not the case with houses. I know boaters who use alternative heating if their stoves could cause annoyance. I have met others who avoid mooring in residential areas for the same reason. It's all a matter of consideration for other people, which goes beyond opening lock gates if you see someone coming.

They can indeed move, and people can do research into what living beside a canal entails.

It's like moving near a church and complaining about the sound of ringing bells.

I spend my winters in a warm house. :-) When boating in cool weather I either moor where smoke won't annoy people or use alternative heating such as diesel in built-up areas.

At peels wharf the householders complained about diesel heating as it is so noisy.

How much do 'walkers, anglers or those whose homes are alongside canals' (and not forgetting Uncle Tom Cobbly et al while we're at it) pay for their use of the canals?

They are welcome to use the the canals but I have a boat and pay for a licence so I expect to have priority.

Taxpayers fund roughly an third of CRT's budget. Obviously that's not much per person, and people who regularly use the towpath get a great deal. But if you lived in Cornwall or Durham or any of the other places that are miles and miles from the nearest canal, you still might think you were paying too much.

Taxpayers fund roughly an third of CRT's budget. Obviously that's not much per person, and people who regularly use the towpath get a great deal. But if you lived in Cornwall or Durham or any of the other places that are miles and miles from the nearest canal, you still might think you were paying too much.

Thanks. I was going to search for one of John Dodwell's talks that has this information.

At peels wharf the householders complained about diesel heating as it is so noisy.

I'm well aware of this problem, particularly in marinas and where boats are moored abreast. I am not an expert but some systems seem much quieter than others.

Oh and we have been asked to move by another boater as our smoke was bad for his asthma. We always burn smokeless though use a little house coal on the rare occasions we need to re light the stove. We keep our stove in 24/7 in winter.

Some asthmatics are strongly affected by sulphur dioxide, which is produced by coal and to a lesser extent, smokeless fuel. With others, it's just the smoke.

Just look at CRT accounts

Indeed. I think it's Victor and a few others who need to do their homework and not assume that the canals are funded by boaters for exclusive use by boaters. The government has entrusted CRT with other responsibilities too.

Some asthmatics are strongly affected by sulphur dioxide, which is produced by coal and to a lesser extent, smokeless fuel. With others, it's just the smoke.

Quite true but that really isn't the point though is it, shouldn't the other boater have moved rather than ask Mrs Trackman to move their boat.

Oh and we have been asked to move by another boater as our smoke was bad for his asthma. We always burn smokeless though use a little house coal on the rare occasions we need to re light the stove. We keep our stove in 24/7 in winter.

For a couple of years we had someone on the next mooring that had that problem even with smokeless or in our case wood, by discussion we solved the problem by adding a 3' extension to our flue which took the smoke and fumes well above his boat.

Quite true but that really isn't the point though is it, shouldn't the other boater have moved rather than ask Mrs Trackman to move their boat.

Fair enough, though if someone had mentioned this to me I would have been happy to move unless they could have foreseen the problem when they arrived.

Indeed. I think it's Victor and a few others who need to do their homework and not assume that the canals are funded by boaters for exclusive use by boaters. The government has entrusted CRT with other responsibilities too.

You just don't get it do you?

I pay as much, or as little tax, as those on the towpath.

BUT I also pay CaRT for a licence to use my boat on their waters (and three times as much in a mooring fee but lets not go there)

So when push comes to shove I would expect (hope?) CaRT to be on my side by telling 'No Mooring' canalside dwellers where to go.

Fair enough, though if someone had mentioned this to me I would have been happy to move unless they could have foreseen the problem when they arrived.

It's reasonably foreseeable that another boat will moor near you on much of the system, especially on VM's. If I had this problem I would make it my business not to inconvenience other boaters because of it.

You just don't get it do you?

I pay as much, or as little tax, as those on the towpath.

BUT I also pay CaRT for a licence to use my boat on their waters (and three times as much in a mooring fee but lets not go there)

So when push comes to shove I would expect (hope?) CaRT to be on my side by telling 'No Mooring' canalside dwellers where to go.

If there has been a complaint to the Council (I believe that Saltaire comes under Bradford) it seems likely that CRT may have been informed and possibly pushed to take action such as putting up a notice.

Can you find me the bit about CRT being obliged to give priority to boaters over canalside dwellers? I thought that they and their predecessors tried to find pragmatic solutions to difficult problems. Don't get me wrong. I'm a keen boater and we have to keep an eye on how development can impact on our waterways. I suspect that it would be more useful to focus on the ramifications of the HS2 proposals than a small mooring with a time limit.

I suspect that it would be more useful to focus on the ramifications of the HS2 proposals than a small mooring with a time limit.

Ever heard the phrase 'thin end of the wedge'?