Visitor moorings at Saltaire

Derek Porteous

Featured Posts

If there has been a complaint to the Council (I believe that Saltaire comes under Bradford) it seems likely that CRT may have been informed and possibly pushed to take action such as putting up a notice.

Can you find me the bit about CRT being obliged to give priority to boaters over canalside dwellers?

Going a bit into fantasy land here now and a lot of assumptions complaints to Bradford Council, resulting in negotiations with CRT!! Then CRT making a stretch of canal "no mooring" I think I will go with a local complaining to local waterway and them agreeing for a quite life, well this was done in the days of BW

As for your other point I can again re quote meetings with CRT where they stated that they do not put up no mooring signs based on complaints from home owners, seems in this case they have not conveyed that message to local office

I try very hard not to get involved in pointless spats on this forum. I have been called inconsiderate for having a stove lit. I let that go though was a bit surprised.

However, how exactly do you think hs2 will have an impact?

I'm sorry if I have upset you but smoke is a very serious issue for some people. I usually avoid boating out of season, and this is one of the reasons.

I don't claim to be an expert on HS2 but it's one of the biggest problems for our waterways in years.

I'm sorry if I have upset you but smoke is a very serious issue for some people. I usually avoid boating out of season, and this is one of the reasons.

I don't claim to be an expert on HS2 but it's one of the biggest problems for our waterways in years.

Well for sure it is set to blight some parts, and very badly in places, I am not sure though it's one of the biggest problems the waterways as a whole face though.

Going a bit into fantasy land here now and a lot of assumptions complaints to Bradford Council, resulting in negotiations with CRT!! Then CRT making a stretch of canal "no mooring" I think I will go with a local complaining to local waterway and them agreeing for a quite life, well this was done in the days of BW

As for your other point I can again re quote meetings with CRT where they stated that they do not put up no mooring signs based on complaints from home owners, seems in this case they have not conveyed that message to local office

You're right. It's just a guess, but if you had problems with smoke from a house or bonfires, the proper procedure would be to contact the council. A lot of people know little about how the canals are run, and you will hear them talk about the water board, water authority, Environmental Agency (sic) and so on. Now that there is a sign at the mooring, people might know who to contact. I'm not sure I believe everything I'm told by CRT. The senior staff sometimes say one thing and the guys on the ground may do something different.

If you are interested, start a topic. I know that HS2 poses problems for one or two ongoing canal restorations as well as navigable canals.

You may have missed the many times HS2 has been discussed on here.....

You may have missed the many times HS2 has been discussed on here.....

I expect you have put in your three pennyworth. unsure.png

For a couple of years we had someone on the next mooring that had that problem even with smokeless or in our case wood, by discussion we solved the problem by adding a 3' extension to our flue which took the smoke and fumes well above his boat.

That's a good example of how problems can sometimes be overcome easily.

I expect you have put in your three pennyworth. :unsure:

Indeed I started one possibly two of them, I am not sure why that is relevant though.

Ed. Oh bugger, our neighbour seems to have lit a BBQ......some smoke is wafting into our house....what on earth do I do?

A complain to the council

B ask them to put it out.

C accept that as my garden is directly next to theirs this might happen in the summer.

Answers on a post card please.

Edited by The Dog House

Taxpayers fund roughly an third of CRT's budget. Obviously that's not much per person, and people who regularly use the towpath get a great deal. But if you lived in Cornwall or Durham or any of the other places that are miles and miles from the nearest canal, you still might think you were paying too much.

I am a taxpayer and a licenced boater so I pay twice. I still want priority.

George ex nb Alton retired

Yes, nearly as big a problem as the M6 is to the Staffs and Worcs, the M1 to the GU but nothing like as big a problem as the new motorway to the north will be if they don't build HS2.

Indeed I started one possibly two of them, I am not sure why that is relevant though.

Ed. Oh bugger, our neighbour seems to have lit a BBQ......some smoke is wafting into our house....what on earth do I do?

A complain to the council

B ask them to put it out.

C accept that as my garden is directly next to theirs this might happen in the summer.

Answers on a post card please.

No postcards but according to some the answer is demand that they move house.

Here are the signs at Saltaire...

soz for quality, phone camera old n lens quite scratched.

14946661436_2c2f76df5c_b.jpg

14946664056_003a588252_c.jpg

Getting back on topic...

that sign (obviously new) is worded in a better way than the one I saw a year or two ago. At the time I couldn't work out how the £5/hr would be collected and ignored it and thats probably what I'd do again...

slightly amused by the "longer stays at the short stay moorings.. " bit

Getting back on topic...

that sign (obviously new) is worded in a better way than the one I saw a year or two ago. At the time I couldn't work out how the £5/hr would be collected and ignored it and thats probably what I'd do again...

slightly amused by the "longer stays at the short stay moorings.. " bit

The "No mooring overnight" is new, the larger information type one is a old one (has plenty of stickers on it covering the old logos and numbers).

The "No mooring overnight" is new, the larger information type one is a old one (has plenty of stickers on it covering the old logos and numbers).

The whole thing is a joke.

On the one hand one sign implies you can stay overnight but you will be heavily charged for it, but on the other hand another sign specifically 'forbids' it.

They really need to get their act together.

On the one hand one sign implies you can stay overnight but you will be heavily charged for it, but on the other hand another sign specifically 'forbids' it.

You are not trying to say the right hand should know what the left hand is doing,are you?

Just look at the prolifically of 48 hour moorings after being reassured that no more 48 hour moorings would happen this year

It says "Moorings for use between 9:00-18:00, max stay 6 hours" on the main sign, it says charge for £5 per hour will incur for stays outside this time. Basically they can't say fine so have to use charge.

We ourselves have moored overnight on the Saltaire visitor moorings without issue. However, when our hire boaters have moored there we always, without fail receive a rude & threatening email from the a***hole commonly referred to in these parts as 'Mrshoutyman'. We advise our boaters not to use the moorings but it is difficult to moor elsewhere in Saltaire so I don't blame them for using the moorings. I have written to CaRT and Saltaire Residents association about the lack of moorings in a World heritage site that is a fine example of the reason for the existance of the canals! I have not achieved anything with either party so gave up long ago. Just some dredging along the towpath between Hirst Lock and Victoria Road would solve the problem.

We ourselves have moored overnight on the Saltaire visitor moorings without issue. However, when our hire boaters have moored there we always, without fail receive a rude & threatening email from the a***hole commonly referred to in these parts as 'Mrshoutyman'. We advise our boaters not to use the moorings but it is difficult to moor elsewhere in Saltaire so I don't blame them for using the moorings. I have written to CaRT and Saltaire Residents association about the lack of moorings in a World heritage site that is a fine example of the reason for the existance of the canals! I have not achieved anything with eiother party so gave up long ago. Just some dredging along the towpath between Hirst Lock and Victoria Road would solve the problem.

A very interesting post. It really gets back to the original point that residents complain, notices appear and stay. It seems totally unreasonable that boaters are unable to overnight at a heritage site or even nearby.