Visitor moorings at Saltaire

Derek Porteous

Featured Posts

I've moored at saltaire when the previous completely unfathomable mooring notice was in place (it seemed to imply you might be charged if you moored), but not since the "no mooring sign" was put up.

not sure what I will do next time I'm up that way. If you could get in before or after the mills then there probably wouldn't be a problem so perhaps if instead of putting up signs CRT had sent their workboat to do a bit of clearing to enable mooring there wouldn't be an issue...

The last time I was at Selby it was winter so we had the stove lit One of the flat dwellers asked me to put out my stove and have some consideration for the Flat owners!! Marcus my large GSD told him to get lost!! The chap went round the other boats making the same request, its strange you buy a new flat by a canal then want to change things

Peter

Why not burn smokeless fuel if you moor alongside houses? Showing a bit of consideration helps ensure that people don't make valid complaints.

Well could well be but even smokeless sends up smoke especially when just lit and in the morning when fresh coal is added to fire up the heat

I know that. Since neither of us know the details there is little point in discussing this further.

It was 2006 when we were last on the Leeds and Liverpool. I happened to observe to a lockie on one of the staircase locks that we were loving the canal but finding it could be tricky to find a mooring. He told me how pleased he was that there were now moorings by the mill. We happily moored there and set off to find some food. We then saw the notice. I'm pretty certain it said £10 an hour after 6pm. So we moved on which involved about an hour boating through locks to find another mooring near a meal out. When I saw the lockie the next day he immediately said he knew what I was going to say and that he had only been told about the charge by other boaters.

A couple of years later, friends moored there in pouring rain. About 6.05pm there was a tap on their door and they were asked if they had seen the notice as they were now overstaying.

It does seem a terrible shame when a beautiful canal site can't be used by boaters overnight but sounds as though the suggested £10 an hour penalty notice is no longer there which maybe some improvement.

• Greenie 1

Next time I am in Saltaire i will check the notice. Pity, I was there today but didn't go down to the canal.

Why not bring this to the attention of the canal manager Chantelle Seaborn or if no satisfaction the CRT Navigation Group? (One of the most active of the CRT groups) or the NW Partnership Chairman?

Regards

David L

I believe the main sign says words to the effect that mooring is only allowed from 9am to 6pm for a maximum of 6hrs and were would be a £5 (I could be wrong about this amount) penalty for exceeding this. There are two other prominent signs saying "No overnight moorings"

Why not burn smokeless fuel if you moor alongside houses? Showing a bit of consideration helps ensure that people don't make valid complaints.

It was smokeless fuel the smell for him was the problem and their is always a bit of smoke even from the best fuel. My point is the canal was there long before the flats and if you buy a flat overlooking both perm moorings and visitor moorings you are likely to have have boats outside your window. Of course he could have closed his window detective.gif

Peter

• Greenie 1

It was smokeless fuel the smell for him was the problem and their is always a bit of smoke even from the best fuel. My point is the canal was there long before the flats and if you buy a flat overlooking both perm moorings and visitor moorings you are likely to have have boats outside your window. Of course he could have closed his window detective.gif

Peter

It's nearly two years since I was last in Saltaire so cannot remember the mooring. Planners should think about this sort of issue. I very much doubt that everyone who buys a canalside property in the summer will be aware that they could be affected by smoke in the cooler months. For most people, smoke is unpleasant, like being in a room with smokers, but it can be a bigger problem for those with respiratory problems. As with clearing up after dogs, it's just a matter of considering others.

It's nearly two years since I was last in Saltaire so cannot remember the mooring. Planners should think about this sort of issue. I very much doubt that everyone who buys a canalside property in the summer will be aware that they could be affected by smoke in the cooler months. For most people, smoke is unpleasant, like being in a room with smokers, but it can be a bigger problem for those with respiratory problems. As with clearing up after dogs, it's just a matter of considering others.

Indeed that cuts both ways. For some boaters a multi fuel stove may be the only way they can keep the boat heated during the cooler/colder times of the year.

Indeed that cuts both ways. For some boaters a multi fuel stove may be the only way they can keep the boat heated during the cooler/colder times of the year.

As someone pointed out to me recently, boats can move. That's not the case with houses. I know boaters who use alternative heating if their stoves could cause annoyance. I have met others who avoid mooring in residential areas for the same reason. It's all a matter of consideration for other people, which goes beyond opening lock gates if you see someone coming.

Yes. Boats move but need somewhere to stop at night. As I recall there weren't many places to moor near saltaire where we could go out for a meal.

Also, houses may not move but people choose to live by a canal. There are millions of houses out there where there'll be no boaters.

Yes. Boats move but need somewhere to stop at night. As I recall there weren't many places to moor near saltaire where we could go out for a meal.

Also, houses may not move but people choose to live by a canal. There are millions of houses out there where there'll be no boaters.

Sometimes it is difficult to be considerate to other people. It looks like I am wasting my time trying to help people to be considerate boaters. frusty.gif

I'm far from perfect myself but at least I have never used a stove in a built-up area.

Sometimes it is difficult to be considerate to other people. It looks like I am wasting my time trying to help people to be considerate boaters. frusty.gif

I'm far from perfect myself but at least I have never used a stove in a built-up area.

You must have some thick jumpers for the winter then.

Considerate to me means using smokeless fuel, not burning your old rubbish on the stove etc, NOT freezing to death.

On the other hand, perhaps the householders, especially the new builds who are often the most vociferous, will be considerate in return and let you warm your toes in front of THEIR fires. No.......I thought not.

George ex nb Alton retired

Its much like local politics - if you make enough of a nuisance of yourself, the authorities will just crumble - and put up sop signs in this case.

Its too late now for Saltaire. I can't anyone having the will to turn the clock back, take the signs down and say to the residents that mooring is permitted as a matter of course.

Having said that, there is no reason why a policy cant be put in place that says that CRTs stance is to never impose 'No Mooring' restrictions just to appease local residents where the canal was there first!

Hi Mango,

In 9 years of boating I do try to be considerate to others however most house owners near canals realise what they have bought and the problems that can arise from that. However all my issues have been when I moored near a new build and to be honest it is the builders at fault building to near the canal, and killing the canal in some cases (Birmingham green all over towpath from lack of sunlight). The minority of the afore mentioned house/flat owners will not tolerate a boat mooring where boats have moored for hundreds of years so they cause a huge fuss and BW/CRT dont have the backbone to say tough sxxt which is what they should do.

Peter

You must have some thick jumpers for the winter then.

Considerate to me means using smokeless fuel, not burning your old rubbish on the stove etc, NOT freezing to death.

On the other hand, perhaps the householders, especially the new builds who are often the most vociferous, will be considerate in return and let you warm your toes in front of THEIR fires. No.......I thought not.

George ex nb Alton retired

I spend my winters in a warm house. :-) When boating in cool weather I either moor where smoke won't annoy people or use alternative heating such as diesel in built-up areas.