best boat in the cut

Featured Posts

I rarely think of Trojan as the best boat on the cut. But just occasionally I contemplate trading her in for a different one. That's when I realise that there isn't really another boat for which I'd want to swop her. So I suppose that means that she's the best one for me.

We are coming round to this way of thinking. Brought our boat 3 years ago second hand, our first boat. Have fell in love with boating so this year we set out to buy a better boat, guess what ? can find nothing we prefer even though we are looking at boats for 2 or 3 times the price of our current one.

Bought our boat 3 years ago second hand, our first boat. Have fell in love with boating so this year we set out to buy a better boat, guess what ? can find nothing we prefer even though we are looking at boats for 2 or 3 times the price of our current one.

You love your boat, your bank manager loves you. Result!

Not with that unsecured calor gas bottle .Also in your opinion is missing from end of title.

Never mind the fact that it isn't in a metal container and ventilated overboard. The crankshaft pulley and alternator belt could do with a guard too.

I imagine it will get warm in that engine room without the waste heat vented outside. Even a little air cooled engine (HA2 ?) produces plenty of heat.

Thats it my boat is best

i paid £500 for this boat two years ago after she had sank beat that

Easy, I paid over 100 times that.

Went to the aderton boat lift last week she was on her way down

Not my thing at all. I've seen hundreds of better boats (in my opinion).

Edited by blackrose

I will tell you a good story two weeks ago i moor up for the night next to brand new boat. the guy came out nice chap looked at my boat and said i started off with a old boat like yours and look what i have got, I looked at him smiled and said what does your boat do that mine dose not he said nothing and went back inside,,,

Cool story bro'

Though I own a yoghurt pot I love it and two of the nicest put downs I,ve received so far was, I think your boat is really quaint, that came from someone in a 15 litre floating champagne palace after showing me his twin 7.5 litre twin turbo monster engines and another guy in a brand spanking narrow boat called it a classic river cruiser which sounded a lot nicer than calling it an old banger but hey were all different it makes life a little more colourful so just enjoy what you have

I will tell you a good story two weeks ago i moor up for the night next to brand new boat. the guy came out nice chap looked at my boat and said i started off with a old boat like yours and look what i have got, I looked at him smiled and said what does your boat do that mine dose not he said nothing and went back inside,,,

Runs the batteries down faster with all the fancy gadget's lol

My boat is not the best boat.

However to me she is beautiful.

I named her, I saw her from lump of steel to completion, well nearly completion, ongoing project.

Its the only thing in my life I have had almost total control over

I love my boat, I care not if in others eyes she's not the best boat

She's mine, all mine, not the kids, not that cruel bastard I married, but mine.

And thats it really.

• Greenie 2

My boat is not the best boat.

However to me she is beautiful.

I named her, I saw her from lump of steel to completion, well nearly completion, ongoing project.

Its the only thing in my life I have had almost total control over

I love my boat, I care not if in others eyes she's not the best boat

She's mine, all mine, not the kids, not that cruel bastard I married, but mine.

And thats it really.

That's poetry, girl - have a greeno.

Hi all

A bit of flesh on the bones. Tench, an original Josher, was owned for many years by my friend Tony Gregory, long term enthusiast from the late 50s/ early 60s.

With fellow boaters Bob Derricot ( Seaford ) and Keith Christie ( Lynx ) they formed Midland Canal Transport and helped to keep carrying going through the 70s/80s, along with Glynn and Rosemary Phillips with Aquarius. Tony, Bob and Keith featured in the " Golden Age of Canals" programme a few years ago, Glynn and Rosemary have been boating with the Fullers recently with a loaded pair to promote the Ashby restoration project.

Tony sold Tench and a colleague, Sparky Williams,was a later owner, though there may have been interim others. Sparky had much work done by Ian Kemp at Dadfords Wharf, on the Stourbridge flight and I remember it a few years ago on the dock at the Bonded Warehouse in Stourbridge when Sparky blacked it. If I recall correctly, it had no engine at that time. Sparky sold the boat subsequently and I don't know what happened later. Good to see it looking in fine fettle these days, despite the fender kickers flagging up the Calor bottle and uncovered pulleys. When I started boating in the 60s, I recall squatting on a bucket in the engine 'ole for a lavatory, with a flywheel spinning nearby my ear. In some respects, things were better in those days....but only those who remember will understand!

Cheers

Dave