Worst cruising ring?

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I have to disagree, Essex has alot to offer particularly Southend-On-Sea! North Weald Air-show, North Weald Saturday markets, Epping Forest just to name a few POI.

On topic, i just finished the FCR and i chose the route first then looked up hire companies and feel thats the best way to do it. If you plan ahead of time your stopping points each night it's not too pressurised to do a ring. Just add an extra hour to your expected cruise time to account for unforseen stoppages.

Defending Essex by mentioning Southend??? Now I've heard everything.

I was thinking more along the lines of any ring with the Walsall canal on it!

But hey, as we know, there are lots of "rings" on the BCN. Does the "big BCN ring" from say Old turn / Salford / Catshill / Horseley Fields / Old turn have a name?

I believe CaRT have it on their website as The Birmingham Ring.

• Greenie 1

In my attempt to defend Essex i wasn't really referring to canals itself but Essex in its entirety, so apologies for the misdirection!

Lee and Stort navigation...partly through Essex. Chelmer and Blackwater canal. Roding Navigation (posh name of Barking creek) Romford canal (whoops they didn't quite finish that one)...Oh! one more the Mundon canal

edit to add .... all out and backs unfortunately

Edited by John V

I'm currently moored next to a hire boat with a couple doing the Warwickshire ring. They're from Devon and this is their first boating holiday. It made me wonder why they chose this ring to do? Fairly unspectacular scenery. Nasty flights. All I can think is there's loads of better choices out there. Maybe they were badly advised or maybe I simply don't appreciate the Warwickshire ring properly. I enjoy cruising it but I enjoy being out on my boat no matter what. I'd just sooner head elsewhere. Is this the worst ring or is another even worserer?

Now would that be something out of the Kama sutra or a kind of dance like the mashed potato or the twist?biggrin.png

I think all rings are bad. You have no idea how you are doing for time, half way round doesn't equate to half the time required, You can't pull over for a bit like you can on an out and back. if you see somewhere that looks interesting you cant stop on the way back. For me out and back is better if on a set time schedule like a week or fortnight hire.

Not true.

We stayed an extra day in Birmingham doing the black country ring.

And we only had the boat for 7 days

Ok. I've struggled for 2 whole days to think why davep doesn't like the Warwickshire ring. What's not to like? Varied scenery, mix of broad & narrow canals, mix of town and countryside, variety of canal features, pubs every few miles.

For me its far better than the four counties. Yes, a lot of locks but for me that's part of boating.

Ok, I was born in Warwickshire so maybe I am biased. I think Warwickshire has very pretty scenery.

...I'd go for the Stourport Ring everytime. There's still lots of locks but they're nicer, easier to work and quicker.

I find it odd that you disparage the Warwickshire ring because of it's lock flights, but then recommend one that includes Tardebigge. Not that I have anything against Tardebigge (I've done it for the sake of it once), but 35 on the bounce must be daunting for a noob.

So did we, it was based on what we could afford at the time

...but most people return their hire boats when they've finished with them...

Does the "big BCN ring" from say Old turn / Salford / Catshill / Horseley Fields / Old turn have a name?

Perhaps we should christen it "Nick's ring". Has the advantage of creating many schoolboy titters.

• Greenie 1

I find it odd that you disparage the Warwickshire ring because of it's lock flights, but then recommend one that includes Tardebigge. Not that I have anything against Tardebigge (I've done it for the sake of it once), but 35 on the bounce must be daunting for a noob.

Give me Tardebigge over Hatton any day. And Curdworth too for that matter. The most depressing flight on the network.

What's wrong with Curdworth? Ok it is a bit spoilt by M42 traffic noise but otherwise very pleasant surely?

Hate! Hate! Hate! Ugly, noisy, heavy gates, nasty mechanisms, slow working, just the wrong distance apart. Urgh! I'll be going down the 21 tomorrow - much more agreeable.

Hate! Hate! Hate! Ugly, noisy, heavy gates, nasty mechanisms, slow working, just the wrong distance apart. Urgh! I'll be going down the 21 tomorrow - much more agreeable.

Yes the 21 are probably slicker but then there are twice as many, plus scary people on the towpath trying to push you in! Curdworth has single bottom gates as you know, but I don't find them particularly difficult to operate. Maybe you need to eat more pies?

By contrast Tardebigge had even Jeff nearly sobbing due to exceptionally heavy paddles, mind you that was at least 10 years ago so maybe they are better now? (we are too scared to go back!)

Edited by nicknorman

Yes the 21 are probably slicker but then there are twice as many, plus scary people on the towpath trying to push you in! Curdworth has single bottom gates as you know, but I don't find them particularly difficult to operate. Maybe you need to eat more pies?

By contrast Tardebigge had even Jeff nearly sobbing due to exceptionally heavy paddles, mind you that was at least 10 years ago so maybe they are better now? (we are too scared to go back!)

I don't mind Hatton at all, and Curdworth I think is quite pretty if you ignore the noise. The two most recent times I've done Tardebigge there were extra crew, and the boat was always moving along or up. My least favourite locks are probably the Lapworth ones from Kingswood Junction down to Wootton Wawen. It's pretty, but the gates are heavy, the paddles are stiff, and the locks are all half a mile apart -- seems like a long walk, but not really far enough to get back on the boat.

Tardebigge paddles are indeed heavy. The paddles have double ended spindles, so this might be a clue. Couldn't your butler give Jeff a hand? Two windlasses are better than one. unsure.png

Tardebigge paddles are indeed heavy. The paddles have double ended spindles, so this might be a clue. Couldn't your butler give Jeff a hand? Two windlasses are better than one. unsure.png

Alas it was in the days before we had our Hudson and concomitant butler.

My wife manages OK

What's wrong with Curdworth? Ok it is a bit spoilt by M42 traffic noise but otherwise very pleasant surely?

The bottom lock is a bit of a pain in a full length boat. When they relocated it to accommodate the M42 the new lock was built shorter than the rest. We have to lift bow and stern fenders and have the rudder right over to miss the cill.

The bottom lock is a bit of a pain in a full length boat. When they relocated it to accommodate the M42 the new lock was built shorter than the rest. We have to lift bow and stern fenders and have the rudder right over to miss the cill.

They relocated a damn long way away didn't they, as the new lock is at the top ;)