Worst cruising ring?

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I'm currently moored next to a hire boat with a couple doing the Warwickshire ring. They're from Devon and this is their first boating holiday. It made me wonder why they chose this ring to do? Fairly unspectacular scenery. Nasty flights. All I can think is there's loads of better choices out there. Maybe they were badly advised or maybe I simply don't appreciate the Warwickshire ring properly. I enjoy cruising it but I enjoy being out on my boat no matter what. I'd just sooner head elsewhere. Is this the worst ring or is another even worserer?

I'm currently moored next to a hire boat with a couple doing the Warwickshire ring. They're from Devon and this is their first boating holiday. It made me wonder why they chose this ring to do? Fairly unspectacular scenery. Nasty flights. All I can think is there's loads of better choices out there. Maybe they were badly advised or maybe I simply don't appreciate the Warwickshire ring properly. I enjoy cruising it but I enjoy being out on my boat no matter what. I'd just sooner head elsewhere. Is this the worst ring or is another even worserer?

I has a lot of variety , it's hard work, but I would not say that it is a bad route. If they do the "pure" route on the GU to Birmingham, then its really only the in and out of the Avon valley where they have a lot of concentrated locks.

In reality I suspect a lot do it because there are a lot of hire companies on the ring, and they promote it as a route to do in a week.

I has a lot of variety , it's hard work, but I would not say that it is a bad route. If they do the "pure" route on the GU to Birmingham, then its really only the in and out of the Avon valley where they have a lot of concentrated locks.

In reality I suspect a lot do it because there are a lot of hire companies on the ring, and they promote it as a route to do in a week.

Can you give an example of a 'bad route'?

What IS the Warwickshire ring then? Lapworth to Brum up the GU then back down via the Stratford?

Never been sure...

MtB

That doesn't really have a name. I call it the Lapworth ring.

The Warwickshire ring is: Starting from, say, Braunston; GU through Hatton to Brum, Birm & Fazeley to Fazeley Junction, Coventry Canal to Oxford Canal (North bit) and back to Braunston.

There's loads of hire companies on the route and, as John has said, it's heavily promoted a good week long ring. I'm very partial to the stretch along the Coventry canal between Alvecote and Nuneaton but apart from that, there's plenty of other week-long routes I'd sooner do.

I think all rings are bad. You have no idea how you are doing for time, half way round doesn't equate to half the time required, You can't pull over for a bit like you can on an out and back. if you see somewhere that looks interesting you cant stop on the way back. For me out and back is better if on a set time schedule like a week or fortnight hire.

I think all rings are bad. You have no idea how you are doing for time, half way round doesn't equate to half the time required, You can't pull over for a bit like you can on an out and back. if you see somewhere that looks interesting you cant stop on the way back. For me out and back is better if on a set time schedule like a week or fortnight hire.

But I can completely understand why rings are popular since each day brings something new. If I was a first time hirer looking for a week holiday round a ring, I'd go for the Stourport Ring everytime. There's still lots of locks but they're nicer, easier to work and quicker. The scenery is more varied. The sightseeing is better - Worcester, Birmingham, BCLM, Cadbury World, Stourport, Kinver caves etc. The canals are more interesting - especially the Staffs and Worcester which might be my overall favourite canal. Also you get a day or so on the mighty River! The route in and out of Birmingham is much nicer too. Plus you can take detours via the Droitwich and Dudley canals if you choose or are short of time.

Your right. There is always a pressure when on a ring. Out and back gets my vote every time. There's a leisure elements that's not there when doing a ring. You feel pressured to move on.

But you get twice as much "stuff" per holiday £ with a ring.

Can you give an example of a 'bad route'?

Possibly not, perhaps I am easily pleased biggrin.png OK, my only bad one think is through Leicester.

But I can completely understand why rings are popular since each day brings something new. If I was a first time hirer looking for a week holiday round a ring, I'd go for the Stourport Ring everytime. There's still lots of locks but they're nicer, easier to work and quicker. The scenery is more varied. The sightseeing is better - Worcester, Birmingham, BCLM, Cadbury World, Stourport, Kinver caves etc. The canals are more interesting - especially the Staffs and Worcester which might be my overall favourite canal. Also you get a day or so on the mighty River! The route in and out of Birmingham is much nicer too. Plus you can take detours via the Droitwich and Dudley canals if you choose or are short of time.

The river would put some people off though, and as with the Warwickshire ring it is going to be promoted with by the hire bases that are located on it. I wonder how many first time hirers actually look properly as the possible routes first, or just pick the base and the boat that they fancy and then the route comes second to that.

Edited by john6767

I wonder how many first time hirers actually look properly as the possible routes first, or just pick the base and the boat that they fancy and then the route comes second to that.

I can only speak for myself (thinking back to the first time we hired) but we chose the route first, then looked at the hire firms on that route.

Your right. There is always a pressure when on a ring. Out and back gets my vote every time. There's a leisure elements that's not there when doing a ring. You feel pressured to move on.

Agree. I wouldn't have liked owning a hire company on a 'week' ring - only takes 1 lock to go pop and you end up turning boats round miles away. We were lucky, the only rings were 3 weekers so didn't occur very often.

That doesn't really have a name. I call it the Lapworth ring.

The Warwickshire ring is: Starting from, say, Braunston; GU through Hatton to Brum, Birm & Fazeley to Fazeley Junction, Coventry Canal to Oxford Canal (North bit) and back to Braunston.

There's loads of hire companies on the route and, as John has said, it's heavily promoted a good week long ring. I'm very partial to the stretch along the Coventry canal between Alvecote and Nuneaton but apart from that, there's plenty of other week-long routes I'd sooner do.

Ah I see, thanks. Yes it is a bit of a dull route isn't it. Some nice places to spend a day in (e.g. Leamington Spa) on the way around and the odd National Trust house and gardens but that involves messing up the cruising schedule.

MtB

I can only speak for myself (thinking back to the first time we hired) but we chose the route first, then looked at the hire firms on that route.

Actually now I think about it, the first time we hired, we did pick the hire company first, but that was really because we were late booking, it was in the summer school holidays, and everything was booked up. Kate Boats had a boat available, so we booked it, and thought about where to go. We did not actually do the Warwickshire ring as it happens, but out and back to Cosgrove, plus Fenny Compton and back in a week.

Perhaps now with there seeming to be may more hire boat available you can be more selective, or people are better organised that we were and booked more than a few weeks in advance, although the late booking did get us a nice discount I believe!

Ah I see, thanks. Yes it is a bit of a dull route isn't it. Some nice places to spend a day in (e.g. Leamington Spa) on the way around and the odd National Trust house and gardens but that involves messing up the cruising schedule.

MtB

I wasn't trying to slate the Warwickshire ring since all canals are varying degrees of lovely but it seems an odd choice to me. Saying that, people go on holiday to Essex so what do I know?

I have to disagree, Essex has alot to offer particularly Southend-On-Sea! North Weald Air-show, North Weald Saturday markets, Epping Forest just to name a few POI.

On topic, i just finished the FCR and i chose the route first then looked up hire companies and feel thats the best way to do it. If you plan ahead of time your stopping points each night it's not too pressurised to do a ring. Just add an extra hour to your expected cruise time to account for unforseen stoppages.

Edited by Cruising Mike

I was thinking more along the lines of any ring with the Walsall canal on it!

But hey, as we know, there are lots of "rings" on the BCN. Does the "big BCN ring" from say Old turn / Salford / Catshill / Horseley Fields / Old turn have a name?