There and back again, to see how far it is.

junior

Featured Posts

Can anyone tell me the best place to moor on the Staffs & Worcs to get into Stafford town centre on foot?

It's not the nicest town........ according to both of the cabbies cabbies who took me to the station/back.

When I was growing up I was always taught anywhere north of watford is 'up north'. Once I got my own car and actually saw where Watford was I decided they must have meant Watford Gap.

Same here!

Junior, we bumped into you (well my GF nearly did, with the boat) at the lock near Great Haywood Jn. Nice to see you again, albeit briefly. We're now on the Coventry canal and noticed it was really quiet, with the possible exception of the narrow bit by Armitage (in the pic).

Junior, we bumped into you (well my GF nearly did, with the boat) at the lock near Great Haywood Jn. Nice to see you again, albeit briefly. We're now on the Coventry canal and noticed it was really quiet, with the possible exception of the narrow bit by Armitage (in the pic).

I recognised the boat name coming towards me and by the time we were within shouting distance I had twigged who it was and remembered being neighbours in Hawne Basin. Good to see you both again (briefly). I think my few days on the Coventry Canal were the busiest for moving traffic I have experienced in my year of Boating.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently in Stone doing some last minute touching up of pain before the weather turns.

Tomorrow I will be doing Stone > Trentham Lock. I then plan to get up early Monday morning and get through Stoke and Harecastle Tunnel. Anticipating that it will be late afternoon by the time I exit the tunnel, can anyone tell me what the first decent/safe moorings are once exiting the northern end of the tunnel? Is Red Bull a decent overnight mooring? I've heard people say that the northern end of the tunnel is not a great place to stop. I can't go to far as I am meeting someone at Kidsgrove Station early on Tuesday morning.

I moored overnight outside the Red Bull CRT offices last time I went through there. Had a chat with the CRT guys in the evening and the morning and none of them mentioned I was on the water point. Good showers and facilities there as well as the pub just over the bridge.

You have just gone past us!...I would have come out and said hello but didn't think the natives were ready for me this time in the morning....

According to my other half she saw you painting yesterday but didn't know it was anyone off the forum....think you were only a couple of boats down at stone!!

If you find red bull is full the there are good moorings a few locks further down...deep and onto rings.

Cheers

Gareth

You have just gone past us!...I would have come out and said hello but didn't think the natives were ready for me this time in the morning....

According to my other half she saw you painting yesterday but didn't know it was anyone off the forum....think you were only a couple of boats down at stone!!

If you find red bull is full the there are good moorings a few locks further down...deep and onto rings.

Cheers

Gareth

I think we were next to each other but with a bit of a gap. I saw you out polishing brass the other day and have walked passed you a few times, but it wwasn't until I saw your reference to your boat being called Doris (In a different thread) that I twigged it was you. Hope I didn't wake you up this morning, I did wait until 7.30.

Well worth going on the Weaver. The lift is an experience. Strangly,you only have to pay to use the lift if you book ahead.The photo of Castlefield Basin at the beginning of your thread reminds me of passing through in 1975.I remembered the Bridgewater sighn on the derelict building,but could not remember which building it was.Now rebuilt of course.

20140907_181358_zpsy0pmpt8j.jpg

Is this where they make china owls?

This is, in fact, the new Chinese designed High Speed Electric Pottery. The picture shows it travelling at 100mph on the Up Line from Stoke to London Euston.

The letter was lost on an earlier journey via Crewe- a detour

I'm enjoying a few days boating with Albions first owner, forum member Steve Corbett. He hasn't been on the boat since the early 80's so it's great to have him on board. Smashing through the locks together so the aim is to do Kidsgrove to Middlewich today and get onto the Weaver tomorrow.

It's nice for me to see the boat from a different angle.

20140909_101536_zps3mhooqbz.jpg

20140909_100424_zpskaue23my.jpg

20140909_102357_zpsaatqaace.jpg

Not sure if you have a plan for mooring in Middlewich but I wouldn't nightstop before the junction - right next to a really noisy road. After the junction (mayhem if it's busy!) you have to push your way through multiply-breasted boats at the hire base (Albion should be good at that!) and then descend the remaining narrow locks, past the water point (ex BW yard) and go under the bridge. There is then a stretch of pleasant moorings before the Big lock, and you are still very close to the town centre.

Edited by nicknorman

I'm enjoying a few days boating with Albions first owner, forum member Steve Corbett. He hasn't been on the boat since the early 80's so it's great to have him on board. Smashing through the locks together so the aim is to do Kidsgrove to Middlewich today and get onto the Weaver tomorrow.

Have you booked the Anderton Lift (£5) or are you turning up on spec for a free slot?

How long do you plan being on the Weaver?

I went into Winsford Flash yesterday - that was fun! biggrin.png

Have you booked the Anderton Lift (£5) or are you turning up on spec for a free slot?

How long do you plan being on the Weaver?

I went into Winsford Flash yesterday - that was fun! biggrin.png

I'm not 100% sure, I kind of making it up as I go along. Are you still on the weaver?

I'm not 100% sure, I kind of making it up as I go along. Are you still on the weaver?

Yes. Been to Weston Point this afternoon. Last two miles scenery is, erm, "interesting"! Now back at Sutton (Frodsham) Bridge. Probably Northwich/Winnington tomorrow.

Junior did you get to recreate the photo that you mentioned on page 1 of your blog?

That is still the plan and the original photographer is on standby to take it too. As we speak I am 45 mins from tying up at Anderton ready to go down the lift in the morning and explore the Weaver for a few days. Hope to be back past you before xmas, but I quite like it up here. Haven't seen a widebeam since May.