There and back again, to see how far it is.

junior

Featured Posts

I also found it quite hard going depth wise. I don't know if this is common or if I need to fill my water tank, but the engine was making a lot of noise for not a lot of end product.

I don't know if you tried this but...if it's shallow did you try reducing your revs so the stern and prop both lift a little? - You can regain your speed this way

Is the Black Horse the pub just outside the Saltisford Arm gate?

If it is, it looks a good looking pub.

Martyn

The Black Horse is at the junction of Saltisford and Victoria St., about a 1/3rd of a mile towards Warwick.

The Pub opposite the gate is The Dun Cow.

Ironic as, in my head, I've imagined Royal Leamington Spa as a real posh location and looked forward to spending some time dawdling there moored up.

There are some lovely Victorian crescents etc in Leamington, just nowhere near the canal! The 2 new pubs between Leamington and Warwick are adjacent to where the Ford foundry used to be, that gives you an idea of the neighbourhood!

So I've made it to Warwick and moored on the Saltisford Arm.

Leamington Spa was quite grim and has to be well above the Bulls Bridge to West Drayton stretch of the GU in terms of unattractivness. I also found it quite hard going depth wise. I don't know if this is common or if I need to fill my water tank, but the engine was making a lot of noise for not a lot of end product.

The Arm here itself is very pleasant and the staff helpful. I'm treating by batteries to a night of hook up and I'll be making use of the washing machines this evening. Sadly I can't get any photos because it's pissing down outside.

Can anyone recommend a decent all-rounder pub in Warwick for food and drink?

Oh, and something worth noting is that I didn't breakdown today!

We should be on our way to Brum on Friday or Saturday all being well, so will be going up Hatton on Sun or Mon (4/5 May). If you are planing on moving in that direction next weekend PM me and perhaps we can hook up to go up Hatton.

Ironic as, in my head, I've imagined Royal Leamington Spa as a real posh location and looked forward to spending some time dawdling there moored up.

Leamington is very posh, but like most posh towns there are the less posh bits and the canal runs through that area, not particularly where you want to stop. The centre and the shopping area is very nice indeed though. Because of the good shopping in Leamington, the shopping in Warwick is much less extensive as the 2 towns are so close together.

We should be on our way to Brum on Friday or Saturday all being well, so will be going up Hatton on Sun or Mon (4/5 May). If you are planing on moving in that direction next weekend PM me and perhaps we can hook up to go up Hatton.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to crack it tomorrow I think and then moor at the top for a few days.

Is that Saltersford?

That's quite a long pound from Hatton Bottom to the lock by the Cape.

I would have taken effort and enterprise to drain that!

Oops indeed.

Apparently a paddle at Cape Locks got something jammed in it according to the CRT guys that were around in the morning trying to get the level back up. As far as I'm aware the boats moored in the Arm didn't get level until around mid afternoon, let alone floating again.

I'm trying to plan the next leg of my journey from France. Without my Nicholsons and without a strong enough internet signal to use Google Maps I'm hoping to pick the forum brains as it's new territory for me.

I'm currently masquerading as Tawney Owl at the top of the Hatton Flight. I'd like to get into Birmingham or al least another bound closer. Due to a woman (the German) getting in the way of my boating at the moment, I only have 2 days available to me this week, Weds and Thurs. I also have a few jobs to do on the boat before the BCN Challenge that I could do with starting this week.

My options are;

A) I stay at Hatton Weds and start the jobs, then do the short cruise to Kingswood Junction/Lapworth Flight on Thursday. This will mean I need to leave the boat next week in that area. Are there any 7/14 days moorings around Kingswood or at the top or bottom of Lapworth? That would mean when I get back from France the week after I just have one days boating left to get me into Birmingham for the challenge and I can finish the jobs off. Or...

B) Can I make it from the top of Hatton into Birmingham in my 2 days this week? This would give me the few days before the challenge to relax and finish my jobs whilst already being close to our start point.

From what I understand my best bet for leaving the boat for a week in Birmingham is Cookoo Wharf? (If I go with plan A I wouldn't need to leave it in Birmingham, but will need to leave it somewhere between there and Hatton).

Any help or info that might help me with my planning will be gratefully received.

Yes 2 days from hatton top to Brum is about right. One day to get to Lapworth top lock, one to central Brum. There are 2 manual and 1 electric liftbridges to slow you down on day 2. Can't just remember what the mooring is like right at the top lock but there is plenty of piled rural towpath before the start of Brum. Not sure there are any specific 14 day VMs but of course the towpath is 14 day in the absence of any other signs.

If you want to get from Lapworth top lock to cuckoo wharf you would have to descend the 13 farmers bridge locks and 11 Aston locks. I think you would struggle to do all that, including the run into Brum from Lapworth, in a day. There is really only 1 VM at cuckoo (in addition to breasting up against the workboats which is probably not a good idea for unattended mooring) and that is a lot of locks to descend to only to find it full.

In central Brum there are various 14 day options including 1 or 2 spaces as you approach the mailbox, by the services. On the mainline after Sheepcote street there are 14 day moorings for about 7 boats. 14 day moorings at Cambrian basin as well, I'd guess for 5 or 6 boats - these 3 places all being within 1/2 mile of each other.

Maybe you could ask nicely if the local resident of those parts - Dave_P - would keep an eye on your boat.

Edited by nicknorman

Yes 2 days from hatton top to Brum is about right. One day to get to Lapworth top lock, one to central Brum. There are 2 manual and 1 electric liftbridges to slow you down on day 2. Can't just remember what the mooring is like right at the top lock but there is plenty of piled rural towpath before the start of Brum. Not sure there are any specific 14 day VMs but of course the towpath is 14 day in the absence of any other signs.

If you want to get from Lapworth top lock to cuckoo wharf you would have to descend the 13 farmers bridge locks and 11 Aston locks. I think you would struggle to do all that, including the run into Brum from Lapworth, in a day. There is really only 1 VM at cuckoo (in addition to breasting up against the workboats which is probably not a good idea for unattended mooring) and that is a lot of locks to descend to only to find it full.

In central Brum there are various 14 day options including 1 or 2 spaces as you approach the mailbox, by the services. On the mainline after Sheepcote street there are 14 day moorings for about 7 boats. 14 day moorings at Cambrian basin as well, I'd guess for 5 or 6 boats - these 3 places all being within 1/2 mile of each other.

Maybe you could ask nicely if the local resident of those parts - Dave_P - would keep an eye on your boat.

I think I meant Cambrian Wharf actually, not Cookoo Wharf. Sounds like it might be a good idea then for me to do Hatton to Lapworth and then find a bit of piled towpath to leave the boat. Then when I get back next week (3 days before challenge) I just have a short ish final leg into Brum.

Two days easy!

There is piled towpath above Lapworth top lock, alternatively there is a nice spot 2 locks down. Did from Walsall basin to there post BCN Challenge a couple of years ago in 10 hours so probably 7 to centre of Brum.

PS. Passed Albion a couple of hours ago, still floating!

Did Hatton to Black country museum in 1 day at Easter, mind you there were 3 of us for Lapworth locks. (took about 14 hours)

We've done Hatton to centre of Birmingham more than once with just the two of us in one day.

I would suggest getting up Lapworth then mooring at Hockley heath or maybe by the Blue Bell cider house, (Waring's green think).

I prefer to moor for longer outside Brum, but there are good safe places to leave a boat. It's just more difficult to have the car there, and takes longer to drive out.

It's then a simple and fairly quick run into the centre of Brum to start the challenge.

Sue

Two days easy!

There is piled towpath above Lapworth top lock, alternatively there is a nice spot 2 locks down. Did from Walsall basin to there post BCN Challenge a couple of years ago in 10 hours so probably 7 to centre of Brum.

PS. Passed Albion a couple of hours ago, still floating!

We know it floats after forcing Braunston to do the stern gland packing they had been paid to do and hadn't!!

Great moorings at Lapworth, either at the Junction, or top of locks, several good ones further in as well, and very cyclable (if you stick the pedals on) back to start.

I seem to recall having to refill that one when coming up Hatton in the dark before.

It's only a short pound so doesn't take much to get enough water in it to float ya boat :)

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I updated this. As I thought might happen, once I missed a few days it felt like I'd lost my mojo.

So over the last 2 months I have done the BCN Challenge, visited Foxton Locks festival and more recently the Braunston Historic Boat Rally plus I've done a few here and there trips in between.

The boat is now at Barby having some work done but then I'll be setting off for my summer cruise proper as I have 6 weeks without having to go to work.

I'm heading to Manchester, specifically Bedford Basin in Leigh on the Bridgwater Canal and Castlefield Basin, I'm not sure which comes first. I'm planning my route (from Hillmorton) and it looks like I have two options.

A) Trent & Mersey all the way or

B) Trent & Mersey- Staffs & wooster- Shropshire Union- Middlewich.

Having never been north of where I am now (by boat) I thought I'd ask for opinions? If it makes any difference I am single handed, not fussed about pubs, like to see civilisation at least once every 48hrs and I tend to boat long days. TV and phone signal are important to me but not critical for one night and I f**king hate Stoke.

I'll post some pics from the last few months soon but I'm in France right now with a data limit.

Edited by junior