There and back again, to see how far it is.

junior

Featured Posts

20140401_074004_zpsx0jrnmv8.jpg

A lovely shot taken from Braunston turn early the other morning.

Spotted in Cosgrove last week while I was on foot doing the car shuffle.

20140330_145555_zps1zwfjab3.jpg

Apparently there is a problem with overcrowding in London. This was Camden Visitor moorings on Wednesday with ONE boat on there.

20140409_123728_zpsb6wtkkdv.jpg

Have you ever thought of buying a caravan? Or maybe a tent?

Aren't caravans cold in winter?

Edited by junior

We spotted Albion on Saturday on our way to/from Braunston. We are by bridge 100 at the moment, but will be back to Calcutt marina first thing in the morning.

On the way to Warwick, Long Itchington is worth a stop lots of pubs.

The only place I would say to avoid for leaving the boat is in Leamington Spa, for a very upmarket town the canal goes through a bit of a grotty area.

Seen Firefly today at Banbury I think

Can anyone with local knowledge give me any suggestions for safe 7 or 14 day moorings in Warwick or above Hatton flight but before Lapworth flight? It doesn't have to be a proper VM it can be general towpath but I'd prefer it to have rings or piling as I don't like to leave the boat unattended on pins.

I need to leave the boat unattended for a few days (not saying when).

You could try Saltisford? arm before you get to the Hatten Flight. I think you have to pay a small sum for longer than one night. See you boat guide for telephone number. We have stayed there. Friendly bunch of boaters. Short walk into Warwick if you need to.

I haven't been further than there so can't help further.

Martyn.

There are VM's just before Kate Boats but might be 48 hrs. Pretty sure there is piling by the cemetery before Cape. Saltisford as suggested, but you will probably have to pay (a bit). After Hatton / Shrewley pretty sure there is piling on the embankment near Tom O' the Woods. Pretty sure that there are VMs at Kingswood Jn on the GU but not sure of the time limit.

So in summary, I am not sure about anything! Hopefully RLWP will be along shortly with more certainty!

If above Hatton then go past the first bridge, there are long term moorings on the offside, and good mooring on the towpath, I have left our boat there a couple of times.

Before Hatton personally I would go for before you get into Leamington, just before the road bridge, there is always plenty of boats there. Alternatively Saltisford arm at the bottom of Hatton, if you don't mind paying.

Edited by john6767

Cheers for the tips. I do try to avoid paying for moorings if I can. Not because I'm tight but because I regularly have to leave the boat to pop off to work. If I was to start paying for somewhere to leave it every time it would quickly get expensive.

That said, I don't like to tie up space on a VM by leaving an unattended boat if I can help it, so a nice quiet stretch of towpath in a safe ish area suits me fine. If the Saltisford Arm is the only safe place within a couple of hours cruise either side of Warwick then so be it, but ideally I'd like to find somewhere free!

My plans for this week are to move from Norton jcn up through Braunston and into Warwick. I plan to stay in Warwick over the weekend as I have a German friend visiting and plan to go to the castle. Is there anything else worthwhile visiting in Warwick?

Sunday I'll be attacking the Hatton flight singlehanded, so if anyone is planning to do the flight then give me a shout and we can spread the work!

Definitely worth waiting at the bottom of Hatton for another boat and brace up. If you moor in the Saltisford arm you can easily walk into the Castle. Cape of Good Hope always good for a stop the night before.

The Cape of Good Hope pub has its own offside moorings - may be worth speaking to the landlord and you may be able to come to an arrangement about leaving Albion there during your absence.

IMG-20140423-WA0000_zps1heesfuy.jpg

What a lovely morning. Can anyone guess the location?

Looks like you have just left Norton Junction and are on your way to Braunston Tunnel.

Save all your money for Warwick Castle. Not cheap by any means, but I believe it's well worth it.

Saltisford Arm is certainly not costly to stay. And it's ten mins to walk to town. There's a pub directly outside the gate.

(You'll probably find a Boots in Warwick. They are known for selling razors.) you never know when you want rid of unwanted hair growth.

Martyn

So I've made it to Warwick and moored on the Saltisford Arm.

Leamington Spa was quite grim and has to be well above the Bulls Bridge to West Drayton stretch of the GU in terms of unattractivness. I also found it quite hard going depth wise. I don't know if this is common or if I need to fill my water tank, but the engine was making a lot of noise for not a lot of end product.

The Arm here itself is very pleasant and the staff helpful. I'm treating by batteries to a night of hook up and I'll be making use of the washing machines this evening. Sadly I can't get any photos because it's pissing down outside.

Can anyone recommend a decent all-rounder pub in Warwick for food and drink?

Oh, and something worth noting is that I didn't breakdown today!

Edited by junior

Depends what sort of pub you like. The Cape of Good Hope is probably the nearest, canalside at Cape locks, but further afield there is Wetherspoons (called Thomas Lloyd) etc in the market square (warwick town centre).

ps Yes, for a Royal Spa, Leamington is a shxx hole. Although you do go through the arse end of it, further north the town is quite pleasant, pity the canal doesn't go through that bit. I remember the long straight past the Fusilier(?) pub being pretty shallow last time we did it. It all gets much more pleasant now (until the outskirts of Brum)

Edited by nicknorman