Timothy West/Prunella Scales - Channel 4

deckhand

Featured Posts

I must admit I am thoroughly enjoying the series but the editing seems rather haphazard. At one point Tim mentions something about a favourite thing of boaters, a nice long lock-free section yet in the very next shot they are approaching a lock!

Still the random editing hasn't spoilt the show for me. Yet.........

Edited by mattlad

Compare with "that lot" over on Information tv (if that series still exists) P & T's efforts and their production team are worthy of an Oscar or perhaps a BAFTA award.

Boaters are obviously pleased with the series but what about The Great Unwashed aka non boaters? What do they think??

Sorry but he not only completely spoilt a very nice old boat but I'm sure some expense was indeed spared.

It has been mentioned on here previously that there were issues with the hull on Dover that were not sorted prior to them spending what yes must have been a significant amount on the 'modern' fit out.

Ed. found the relevant thread/posts

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61546&p=1174826

Irrelevant ..... made good TV, and I enjoyed watching it.

Irrelevant ..... made good TV, and I enjoyed watching it.

However you did say no expense was spared, I just pointed out some expense was, which is hardly irrelevant.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Having watched the first episode which I found quite delightful, I've just watched the Rochdale one...despite the glaring continuity errors, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Having done the Rochdale Canal on several occasions with several different boats and not likely to be boating again for a long time (unless someone wants to let us borrow a boat?) I found it lovely to watch and by watching it, was able to remember our trips and sit on the sofa telling my son...."I've been there!"

I was a bit concerned about their use of ropes in locks, walking on the roof (son) and climbing lock ladders...I don't recall us ever having to rope up in a lock on the Rochdale (maybe we did the first time? I simply can't remember) and I certainly don't recall instances of using lock ladders except on very rare occasions....we usually pull into the side to dump my OCM to prepare the lock, whilst I try and hover elegantly until it's ready. We only use lock ladders in emergencies, and with a crew of two, seem to manage just fine.

Still, a very enjoyable programme and I'm looking forward to the next.

Janet

Watching the programme from last night we noticed a couple of shots of Silkwood (the boat we had a share in for couple of years), one shot in the lock, then another as the son Sam walked past.

yes, I saw Silkwood. It looked as if all the crew from it stayed on board while Pru worked the lock but surely that didn't happen!

haggis

Although I never watch TV, I made an exception for the Rochdale & Standedge, as it's my home patch. It is hard going, but I didn't realise how old Timothy West was so have some sympathy. But surely they would have had a film crew to do the real hard work?

I was looking out for my boat until I realised that it must have been filmed last summer when I was away on the BCN.

Rather hard that one sequence seemed to blame Prunella's mild memory problems for her forgetting to untie the line before leaving a lock near the summit. I know I've done that at least twice, with no-one else to blame. But perhaps I've forgotten the other occasions............

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I went through with standedge tunnel with the chaperone who was on the programme. He is a smashing bloke and an absolute mine of information on the tunnel. I loved every minute of it

Fred Carter- been up at Standedge since Pontius was a pilot. He used to look after all the HNC reservoirs (12 of them) before they were sold off by BW. He also worked on the restoration and re-opening of the Ashton canal over 40 years ago which is when I first met him. As you say, top bloke with a wonderful local accent. I think he said he was retiring this year- that will be a sad loss for all us tunnel users.

Bill

Fred Carter- been up at Standedge since Pontius was a pilot. He used to look after all the HNC reservoirs (12 of them) before they were sold off by BW. He also worked on the restoration and re-opening of the Ashton canal over 40 years ago which is when I first met him. As you say, top bloke with a wonderful local accent. I think he said he was retiring this year- that will be a sad loss for all us tunnel users.

Bill

Yes, Fred is retiring this year. When I asked him if he was joining the ranks of the volunteers, he was very disapproving.

Although I never watch TV, I made an exception for the Rochdale & Standedge, as it's my home patch. It is hard going, but I didn't realise how old Timothy West was so have some sympathy. But surely they would have had a film crew to do the real hard work?

I was looking out for my boat until I realised that it must have been filmed last summer when I was away on the BCN.

Rather hard that one sequence seemed to blame Prunella's mild memory problems for her forgetting to untie the line before leaving a lock near the summit. I know I've done that at least twice, with no-one else to blame. But perhaps I've forgotten the other occasions............

Doubtful. On a progamme like this the crew for most of it would be unlikely to be more than two people. Typically, a self-shooting director and a researcher mopping up a variety of other roles including sound recording, additional cameras, making tea for the 'talent' and contributor consents. If the crew weren't familiar with boating, they could be quite a liability trying to operate locks with one hand whilst holding 1000s of pounds worth of equipment in the other.

Doubtful. On a progamme like this the crew for most of it would be unlikely to be more than two people. Typically, a self-shooting director and a researcher mopping up a variety of other roles including sound recording, additional cameras, making tea for the 'talent' and contributor consents. If the crew weren't familiar with boating, they could be quite a liability trying to operate locks with one hand whilst holding 1000s of pounds worth of equipment in the other.

How very efficient! I was going by the crew on the canal-based television drama in which I took part last week (also on the Rochdale) which amounted to about 50 people, most of whom seemed to be waiting around most of the four days (as I was).

How very efficient! I was going by the crew on the canal-based television drama in which I took part last week (also on the Rochdale) which amounted to about 50 people, most of whom seemed to be waiting around most of the four days (as I was).

Ah, those 'drama' guys. How lucky they are!

My late mother worked in the film industry, as (in those less PC days) a 'continuity girl'. She would have loved the programme but would also have been extremely irritated by the lazy continuity. As for waiting around, she used to say that filming was 90% hanging around doing nothing (but lots of time to do other stuff), 5% was waiting to do something, and 5% actually working. Her diaries of that period of her life would appear to substantiate that statement!

edited to add: no wonder they didn't get as far as Manchester. "In the next programme Tim & Pru tackle the Rochdale Nine" !!!!

Edited by Québec

Having watched the first episode which I found quite delightful, I've just watched the Rochdale one...despite the glaring continuity errors, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Having done the Rochdale Canal on several occasions with several different boats and not likely to be boating again for a long time (unless someone wants to let us borrow a boat?) I found it lovely to watch and by watching it, was able to remember our trips and sit on the sofa telling my son...."I've been there!"

I was a bit concerned about their use of ropes in locks, walking on the roof (son) and climbing lock ladders...I don't recall us ever having to rope up in a lock on the Rochdale (maybe we did the first time? I simply can't remember) and I certainly don't recall instances of using lock ladders except on very rare occasions....we usually pull into the side to dump my OCM to prepare the lock, whilst I try and hover elegantly until it's ready. We only use lock ladders in emergencies, and with a crew of two, seem to manage just fine.

Still, a very enjoyable programme and I'm looking forward to the next.

Janet

It was a shire cruisers hire boat.

And having hired from them twice, they insist on you tying up in locks when going up, but not when going down.

Personally I think Tim and Pru are a classic pair of boaters and they're boating behaviour is a very very common sight indeed. The old man on the tiller (and won't relinquish it especially to his female partner whether she'd like to have a drive of the boat or not) This poor (er indoors) who probably wishes she WAS indoors and not vanquished and stationed by the old man to the boats bows clutching the windlass and ropes end in readiness at his bellowed command to instantly leap off like lightening to do locks and all. Mind you I reckon a lot of women can't wait to jump off to get away from their overbearing and tiranical captain for a bit. Most women though seem to say, including Pru that they prefer to do the locks although I don't think most are really telling the truth. They know that if they were to ever be allowed to steer the boat they'd be continually bombarded with bellowed instructions, probable swearing and all manner of verbal abuse, and after a few seconds of steering are told to give the tiller back and to go and make the tea instead and to keep a watch out for the next lock while your at it. I noticed that Tim was quite tottery on his feet, (lack of exercise I reckon) while Pru was very spritely on hers. smile.png

I must be very lucky with our crewing arrangements:-

My Management INSISTS on working ALL the narrow locks on our journeys and gets exceedingly stroppy when I suggest "it's my turn".

To be honest, she starts them off, I lep off and up the ladder once the bow is nudging the top gate going up and close the bottom. We both work the paddles.

She will allow me to reverse the roles when going downhill AND she won't do broad locks at all.

That's the fun of boating, share and share alike. (I set up the tv while she cooks).

Given the choice I'd rather work the lock than steer the boat, standing at the tiller in a dripping hole in the ground gradually filling with water and diesel fumes and watching out for the cill or stood on the bank winding a few handles and pushing the odd gate open. The top lock at Johnson's Hillock used to take so long to fill up you could pop in the pub and have a pint without the steerer knowingtongue.png

K

She did that last week as well - but surely it should be the steerer who makes sure it's safe to move