My Dissapointment

Paul's Nulife4-2

Featured Posts

Actually I thought you were settling in nicely.

If you have a look around the forum you will find loads of interesting and useful stuff, some of it even contributed by me!

You don't have to join in if you don't want to but it can still be a highly useful and often entertaining resource even just as a lurker.

Hi gang,as a 'Newbi' to the forum world,I had the expectations of an exciting virtual world of like minded people,willing to share there combined knowledge & experiences,in the hope of answering queries raised. A place that we could exchange ideas,& discuss all sorts of Boat,cruising & generally interesting topics whilst enduring the long dark months ahead.

However,,My brief & first impressions & experience into this new world (my first proper forum) seams to be at present one of a much different place..it seams to be a place,where some members, In my opinion seam to just want to use this virtual conduit as a playground for provocation,arguments or verbal bullying purposes,,Decaying some posts into off topic remarks,witch is then passed off as humor or banter.& again in my opinion,there is by far much more of an effort made on picking someone up on the phrases or grammar used by the 'poster' than helping or being constructive regarding the question or quieri posted It'self.again resulting in the total destruction of the original topic.& the constant need to clarify or explain wording used.

Just a cursory flick through a cpl of threads in general Boating will confirm the above.

So a result of my disappointment in my interpretation of what a forum is, I have concluded that a forum in this guise,is not for me. I am now quite happy to be just join the ranks of the readers, rather than be a active participant,as I have not it seams got the nesasary skills, understanding or Desire to actively join in the games that seam to be of such importance.

& I must stress to new members & old alike,,this is obviously my interpretation of a problem & views that have observed,mentioned,& tried to articulate,,

I Ofcourse apologize profusely to all if unfounded..

Happy cruising or bridge hopping to all.But more importantly,,be safe.

Hi Paul

One week methinks is not long enough to try the forum out. If you ask boating questions they will for sure be answered and much experience lies within. I agree that too much emphasis by a few is put on such trivia as schpellin and gwamma which in the real world is of no importance whatsoever. However stick with it and you will soon be able to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Tim

All topics go smiley_offtopic.gif it is the nature of the beast.

If you have a question/problem then ask it and I guarantee,within two pages you will have your answer after that....

Many of us have been here a long time and have met face to face socially so, we know each other and yes it can be a bit daunting when you first arrive, just like when you go to a party or similar, stick around.

I do hope you stick with it a bit longer.

I regognise nearly everything you are saying, but you tend to learn to filter the crap out without noticing it, unless you are in the mood to get stuck in, and that can be fun too.

The only bit I did't recognise was this

there is by far much more of an effort made on picking someone up on the phrases or grammar used by the 'poster' than helping or being constructive regarding the question or quieri posted It'self.again resulting in the total destruction of the original topic.& the constant need to clarify or explain wording used.

I thought that bollocks was pretty much a thing of the past. Maybe my filtering mechanism has developed to such an extend that I'm blind to it, but I genuinely can't remember seeing any of that stuff since you joined.

Paul, like any other forum this one goes in cycles.

For a few weeks there may be fascinating topics that really grab yo and get you involved and then there will be weeks when nothing appeals and everybody just seems to be gripping.

Sometimes it is the forum and sometimes it is yourself.

Just hang on, read and get involved when your buttons are pushed but when they aren't, don't.

Yes, the forum contains humour, some of which hits the spot hilariously, some of which falls flat on its face.

Yes, the forum contains discussion (well it would, being Canal World DISCUSSION Forum), which can escalate to heated debate.

Yes, sometimes we pick each other up on phraseology or spelling, usually to deflate somebody who is getting on his high horse. (Oh, and we sometimes mix metaphors too).

Yes, the combined effect of all these ingredients may be a bit overpowering at first.

BUT have you noticed that whenever help is sought, whether it's to locate an engine part, find a decent pub to stop at, or ask for practical help if it's needed, there is never a lack of people who have the relevant knowledge and are willing to share it, or have time to help and put themselves out to give assistance.

Lurk on, read on, and I think that you'll notice the quiet positive points of the forum, which are less noticeable than the occasional loud bangs but which far outnumber them.

Paul.

This is the best, most interactive, and MOST HELPFUL canal resource on the web. ....and when there's a call to help a boater...it's heart warming to see the responses on this forum. Just hang around, and one day you'll stand amazed.

The forum has different "virtual" sections. There can be some pretty tedious arguments for arguments sake dragging on and on about nothing much, typically something "political". But there is also a really useful virtual section on every technical thing you ever needed to know about boating (and lots you don't need to know, but are interesting when you do). Useful virtual section about where to go and what to see etc.

Recently the former virtual section has been dominating, and the latter ones have been in the background. In part that may be because just about every technical question has been asked and answered already - often several times! But if you have any such questions, the forum is a virtual gold mine. I have learnt masses from it and now try to reciprocate by helping others with their questions.

The forum has different "virtual" sections. There can be some pretty tedious arguments for arguments sake dragging on and on about nothing much, typically something "political". But there is also a really useful virtual section on every technical thing you ever needed to know about boating (and lots you don't need to know, but are interesting when you do). Useful virtual section about where to go and what to see etc.

Recently the former virtual section has been dominating, and the latter ones have been in the background. In part that may be because just about every technical question has been asked and answered already - often several times! But if you have any such questions, the forum is a virtual gold mine. I have learnt masses from it and now try to reciprocate by helping others with their questions.

As Nick says, the forum does go through phases, currently it seems quite volatile. And it will pass

No-one can be this volatile for long

Richard

Many of us have been here a long time and have met face to face socially so, we know each other and yes it can be a bit daunting when you first arrive, just like when you go to a party or similar, stick around.

I think that is a very valid point. I would also extend the analogy to joining a club, or starting a new job.

There's always the danger when you start a thread that it might be questioned, dissected, criticised even, or someone may just take the peesh. This might be described as negative, but it's almost always the same suspects, who have been around for ages and to them it's a bit like being down the pub with your mates - you risk getting a rough ride with almost any innocent comment...

I agree it can be tiresome at times, and possibly to new members, intimidating. But in my experience most internet forums end up like this.

Paul, have a read here:http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53081

Similar feelings, but read what my Misses said post in post No 46.

Please re think and get to know us.

Or you could join http://www.justcanals.co.uk/forums/

And no this is not a sarkey comment.

Thanks for that. I thought it had closed down as I kept getting an error message