Do you have space for a grey water tank?

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Yes if I had to.

Mind you I might change to cassette and use the poo tank instead as the space is on the opposite side of the boat to the wastes.

For those of an anti EU disposition this comes from an EU rule about 5 years ago that outlawed grey water discharge.

Yes if I had to.

Mind you I might change to cassette and use the poo tank instead as the space is on the opposite side of the boat to the wastes.

For those of an anti EU disposition this comes from an EU rule about 5 years ago that outlawed grey water discharge.

When we hired in France it had a grey water tank which when full overflowed into the waterway. It also had toilets that discharged straight into the waterway.

Dishwashers??? Are they kidding???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dishwaters. That's the waters in your washin' up bowl, I presume.

MP

When we hired in France it had a grey water tank which when full overflowed into the waterway.

Oh, I've got one of those, it's coincidentally shaped very like about a foot of 2" pipe.

MP.

• Greenie 1

After due consideration (of almost 1 minute) I've spotted a flaw in their argument. On average, the 'grey' water discharged from a boat is better quality than the canal water. They should be thanking us, not talking about grey water tanks etc.

Certainly true at and downstream of the aptly named (and located) Sewage lock on the southern GU. It was vile locking through what looked and certainly smelt like raw sewage mid May. Don't suppose its improved much with the heat this summer.

In a way you are right catweasel, if grey water discharge was stopped we would, in a small space of time see a permanent 'oil slick' on the water surface caused by the stern gland grease, not to mention the odd diesel spill. The mild detergent in the 'grey water' effectively neutralises the oil pollution so creating a status quo.

If all the do gooders would just wind their necks in & observe what actually happens in practice & learn to 'leave well alone'

Tony

Yes smile.png

Really? you might be 70' but you will need one hell of a tank and plenty of visits to the pump out, which of course will installed every 20 miles and be free.

I suppose this is a bigger problem on slow canals, marinas and CM sites. Out on the Gt. Ouse I can't see how all this water could not absorb the tiny % discharge from boats. It truly is a pee in the ocean.

I suppose next the fish and birds will need a latrine.

What about all farming chemicals that end up in the rivers and canals?

Is this not also related to the 'idea' of using the canals for a possible way of transporting water around the country to area's that need it and don't always have it ?

Great if CRTare going to be paid huge sums of money for that service, i suspect in reality they will just be leant on by government to just become the national waterways pipeline for what we receive already and we will probably be told to be grateful judge.gif

Really? you might be 70' but you will need one hell of a tank and plenty of visits to the pump out, which of course will installed every 20 miles and be free.I suppose this is a bigger problem on slow canals, marinas and CM sites. Out on the Gt. Ouse I can't see how all this water could not absorb the tiny % discharge from boats. It truly is a pee in the ocean.

I suppose next the fish and birds will need a latrine.

What about all farming chemicals that end up in the rivers and canals?

There was originally a ballast tank carrying (I think) over 1000 litres under the back cabin floor, we could put one there if needed.

But seeing that sea toilets are legal on the Ouse, I'm sure they won't be stressed about grey water yet!

Could you quote the specific legislation for this Euromyth please?

The EU has done no such thing though in some EU countries it is strongly discouraged.

Nope!

We barely have room for everything else, let alone yet another tank!

There would be a problem retrofitting "grey" water tanks to some older boats due to lower external fittings... water in your exhaust anyone?