Narrow Boat And Rower In Collision On Thames

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

While moored up and watching the world go by a narrow boat going upstream collided with a single rower (in one of those skinny things) fortunately no one was hurt. However, much shouting and abuse followed. Each blaming each other.

They where both in the middle of the river or just possibly the n b was just left of centre, however it is quite wide just outside Henley so plenty of room .

The rower came over to me to see if I could check for any damage to his (whatever they are called) but there wasn't any I could see, I think the collision was more with one of the oars.

As the rower has his back to the way he is going how do they know if there is a problem arising?

Is it up to boats under power to avoid these guys and there are plenty to avoid.

Just wondered if there had been a serious result who might have been held to blame.

One of those numptys a few months ago rowed at quite a pace right into the back of me !! Did some damage to his boaty thing? what kind of pratt drives one way whilst looking in the opposite direction? I Know lets do formula one where the driver faces the back of the car or blindfolded, it would at least make it a little interesting.

Tim

I thought narrowboats had 360 degree vision so could keep a proper look out at all times.

clapping.gifclapping.gif

Having read a little of this thread I feel i need to put to bed one piece of often quoted total bunkum " Power gives way to sail " This is grade one, first class claptrap spoken by people with a little but not enough knowledge of colregs.

There is far, far more to it than that.

Tim

One of those numptys a few months ago rowed at quite a pace right into the back of me !! Did some damage to his boaty thing? what kind of pratt drives one way whilst looking in the opposite direction? I Know lets do formula one where the driver faces the back of the car or blindfolded, it would at least make it a little interesting.

Tim

clapping.gifclapping.gif

Having read a little of this thread I feel i need to put to bed one piece of often quoted total bunkum " Power gives way to sail " This is grade one, first class claptrap spoken by people with a little but not enough knowledge of colregs.

There is far, far more to it than that.

Tim

In a certain set of circumstances 'Power gives way to sail' is part of the regulations.

HOWEVER - taking it in isolation or as a definitive rule is plain dangerous.

In essence we should not only know the status of our own craft and the regulations governing it but also the status and rules governing all other types and size of craft.

Oh dear, there seems to be a lot of the old macho stuff happening on this thread with "My boat weighs 20 tons" and "My boat weighs 36 tons" etc etc. Something people are losing sight of is the fact that Phylis is on this forum because she loves boating, exactly as I did when I joined and had a GRP cruiser.

However having come over to the dark side I have to say that on balance my 60 footer is easier to handle than my 40 ft GRP cruiser.

It has to be remembered that all boats have different handling characteristics depending on the material of their construction, hull form etc etc and all boats have their own idiosyncrasys so I feel it is wrong to have a pop at someone whose boat does not fit your norm.

Remember we all love boating.

Phil

What a curious way to interpret that post when it was nothing of the sort. I was merely pointing out that the respective forums will have their members drawn from owners of boats of the differing types.

If you can find any other examples of me 'having a pop' at owners of GRP boats I'd be very surprised. In fact you will not find me referring to them as 'yoghurt pots, Tupperware or Splitters which so often happens on here.

So aim your post at some others by all means but not me thanks.

Ok I'll demonstrate my ignorance... What is a ferry glide ?

First you needs a flowing river

Point the boat upstream and match its forward progress to that of the river wanting to push it along with the flow, i.e. backwards.

The boat is stationary over the ground, but the river current is flowing against the boat.

Keeping the boat stationary over the ground, turn the tiller slightly to the left or right.

The boat will then "crab" sideways across the flow of the river.

I believe there is a river ferry on the Severn, attached to a rope across the river which uses this principle to take folks across from on side to the other.

Edited by Ray T

I believe there is a river ferry on the Severn, attached to a rope across the river which uses this principle to take folks across from on side to the other.

There is a car ferry on the river Ebro on Spain that works this way, no engine just a catenery wire across the river that the ferry hangs off, and the flow does the rest. Interesting journey

To be fair most of them are ok. One year we came across the Lincoln to Boston rowing race. 200 odd boats with varying crew sizes and varying skill levels. We had no problems at all with them and had quite a laugh with the majority of them.

There are a few rowing and canoe clubs where we are based so we meet them pretty much every week without incident.

There's a club near us in Broxbourne. Most of them are ok too. They keep looking out to see where they are going. The rest can't see a thing because they've got their head up their own arses.

Steve P.

I regularly mix it with the rowers on the Avon, between Bath and Saltford. I keep a steady course close to the right bank, and they row around me. I do keep an eye out in case one gets in a spot of bother, and if we are on a collision course I slow down. A short hoot with the horn alerts any rower who has got of course.

I'm surprised Phylis did not catch more Makerel. Perhaps the wrong bait?

They didn't fancy our choice of feathers that day!

How many narrowboaters post on the Sealine forum though.

We'd be in the minority on there just as much as you are the minority on here.

There are some narrowboat owners on there as well as raggies and many other types of power boat ranging from dinghies and RIB's to 60 odd foot fly bridges.

Whilst the forum was set up primarily as a source if information for Sealine Owners it welcomes owners of other vessels as well.

In fact there are many benefits to membership including insurance and berthing deals.

As it happens our pair will be going on to the Thames from Brentford tomorrow. An ideal opportunity for someone to join us, take the tiller and demonstrate just how manouverable they are, show use this rapid ferry gliding, dodging around skiffs etc. etc.

They are carrying 36 tons so probably weigh around 60 - I'm sure experience of handling a light glass fibre cruiser will be all you need.

When do you want me?

I always give rowers plenty of warning by sounding the horn if I think there's any possibility they haven't seen me. It's usually appreciated because they have a massive blind spot called the back of their heads!

Several years ago at Cookham I made the mistake of moving out from a mooring while there were some sailing dinghys on the other side of the river. As soon as I'd moved out and started going forward they all decided to tack across the river, tacking again right in front of my bows. I took the boat out of gear to avoid hitting them and then their instructor started shouting at me to get out of the way! I was doing my best to avoid them by not moving - what else did the dickhead expect me to do?

I know that powered craft give way to unpowered craft, but some people on unpowered craft (such as those who don't face their direction of movement, and others who constantly tack across from one side of the river to the other), have taken this to mean that because operators of powered boats have to look out for them, that they don't have to care.

Edited by blackrose

Been to the other side today trying out some of these.

null-63.jpg

Bit of a try before you buy as we are considering getting one for messing about on the river.

Flighty little buggers mind. They don't need much wind to get a move on and they can't half shift!

Never sailed a Topper but once had a go (many moons ago) with a two person Laser - a handful indeed!!!

My dingy of choice these would be a Wayfarer which I learned to sail in the lakes as a scout. Much more forgiving for an old fart like me.

I sail and race a dinghy at Saltford, Bristol Avon twice a week. Our club encourages sailing for all ages and abilities. We always have a RIB safety boat to help the other river users through the crowd when racing: Powered boats are asked to stay on one or the other side of the river and steer a steady course. Because of the restricted width of the river a dinghy can end up tacking alongside the narrowboat for the length of the course, depending on wind speed and direction, and speed of the powered vessel. When this happens to us ( wife crewing) we like a chat with the crew of the powered boat: How do, where you come from etc. Also we sometimes ease off and go astern of the NB if that is safest but it can slow us down and we are racing! Tacking, to those who do not understand it, always looks a bit haphazard but is very predictable to those who understand it. As fellow narrow-boaters, I would encourage any CWDF members to find out about points of sail if they encounter sailing often. When we find ourselves running downwind and next to a vessel we usually ask if they have any bacon butties or gin going spare! We love to see all the different NBs coming through. We may sail fairly close astern or alongside but hold your course and you'll be fine. Oh and please give us enough room to squeeze past the yellow marks ( buoys) . We can cope with your wash, but we'd like to see a wave! Comet dinghy 101