Look what I have gone and done!

Alanji

Featured Posts

Gone and got a dog, this pm – 10 months old, looks like a Sheltie.

Already discovered he loves people and dogs (made sure of that before adopting), hates cats, may never have seen a car before and is not house trained (bu****) and he has a touch of the runs. That will teach me to turn on more lights - first time thought something had fallen on floor and went to pick it up, second time - new pair of slippers required. Why did I not get vinyl instead of carpet. Found as a stray. So playful and inquisitive. Training required! But he is so sweet – will not leave my side.

Currently stuck in Ellesmere (not a bad place to be stuck) for two weeks getting (hopefully) a crown replaced.

IMG_0413_zps91a55b92.jpg

IMG_0411_zpsc0a49594.jpg

• Greenie 2

Gone and got a dog, this pm – 10 months old, looks like a Sheltie.

Already discovered he loves people and dogs (made sure of that before adopting), hates cats, may never have seen a car before and is not house trained (bu****) and he has a touch of the runs. That will teach me to turn on more lights - first time thought something had fallen on floor and went to pick it up, second time - new pair of slippers required. Why did I not get vinyl instead of carpet. Found as a stray. So playful and inquisitive. Training required! But he is so sweet – will not leave my side.

Currently stuck in Ellesmere (not a bad place to be stuck) for two weeks getting (hopefully) a crown replaced.

IMG_0413_zps91a55b92.jpg

IMG_0411_zpsc0a49594.jpg

Indeed he looks a great little chap, looks very loyal and I'm sure he'll be a terrific companion, and guard you with his life.

Looks like a tricolour border collie to me - fantastic dogs but (ours) can take some entertaining.

Hope his "ailment" clears up soon - changes in food can cause that.

I guess you will not know if he's had his innoculations or been wormed??

Good luck with him.

Graham

Looks like a tricolour border collie to me - fantastic dogs but (ours) can take some entertaining.

Hope his "ailment" clears up soon - changes in food can cause that.

I guess you will not know if he's had his innoculations or been wormed??

Good luck with him.

Graham

He has had first inoculation, been wormed and micro-chipped. Due second inoculation soon but rescue centre thought might be difficult as he has slight kennel cough, so vet may refuse to treat him. Not allowed to meet other dogs at the moment.

Just had third "accident" despite taking him out every couple of hours, but hopefully will settle down a bit - disinfectant top of shopping list. I did not know you should not let them see you clearing up indoor mess as it encourages them to do it again. Tied him up to table, with the expensive extending lead, when clearing up last time. Chewed through it (to get to me I think) and the end has gone inside with no apparent way to get to it. Bit worrying that he has not done a wee (indoors or out) since I picked him up at 5pm. Is it normal for puppies not to lift their leg at every opportunity?

Nice looking Dog..!

As to the wee thing - Starry is better placed to comment but if he is loosing fluid due to his loose stools he will not want to wee as much, may be an idea to keep him topped up with water in case he becomes de~hydrated.

Edited by The Dog House

Looks like a lovely dog. He looks a fair bit smaller than our border collie was so I expect you are right with the Sheltie. Could of course be avery small border.

Either way he will take some entertaining. Ours got bored very quickly!

Just had third "accident" despite taking him out every couple of hours, but hopefully will settle down a bit - disinfectant top of shopping list. I did not know you should not let them see you clearing up indoor mess as it encourages them to do it again.

Get some 'Stain and Odour Remover' instead of / as well as disinfectant! It's brilliant for clearing up and removing the pong of 'accidents' (for cats, anyway. I believe it's good for dogs, too). Also, the smell is supposed to stop them 'going' again in the same place. I've found it works very well.

Sounds obvious but I have seen it done, don't tie him up , up top,seen a dog hanging off the side once luckily owner was quick to stop him hanging and drowning at same time, close though.

he's a lovely looking little chap but too broad of the muzzle for a sheltie, I think. Possibly a lot of border collie in him in which case as others have said, he needs to have his brain occupied. Teaching tricks is good fun with a border. When any of my dogs have the runs, I give them charcoal and it works amazingly well. In fact on our last trip, Ryan was a bit loose and I didn't have the charcoal with me. He cured himself though by finding the charcoal from an old BBQ on the towpath and crunching a couple of chunks before we stopped him. No more runs :-)

have lots of fun with your puppy. What have you called him?

haggis

Edited by haggis

Lovely looking companion, Alan.

His bowels should quieten down as he becomes used to his new surroundings (let's face it - oft when hoomans go to new places they develop the squits for a day or two)

Have great fun training him, train him 'to voice' ( ;) ) and get both of you to training classes as soon as poss.

The canals are a great place for man & dog

Ahhh Alan he's a beaute... Lots of oohing and aahhing from us this morning seeing your piccies and then noticed you're stuck in Ellesmere... So are we! We're moored on the arm (been here since Sunday pm) and will be here till Wed morn waiting for a medi prescription from the local docs. Will have a gander for you... Are you on Lucy Lowther?

Thats a tricolour border collie. I have 2 borders, both trained sheepdogs. They do take a lot of entertaining, be warned. If he has the runs, which is possible (due to being re-homed, jabs, and different feeding regime, and a new master), then walk him regularily about 5 times a day at set times. He needs a regular regime for a while.

As to mess (on carpet), you can get an odour killing spray on carpet cleaner (works on hard floors too) from Pets-at_home or Jollies.

Make sure he has plenty of toys, I suggest the rope balls, or knots (available as above).

Above all train him to do something, look up 'Flyball' and take him to a couple of sessions, Then you can train him onwards yourself.

Loyalty..beware, loyalty can get to obsession and jealousy, any sign of untoward attention to third parties must be corrected early.

Cats, Hmm neither of mine have cat problems (they share a basket with 2 cats), but again correct him quickly and early if he trys to round up or chase cats. Mine did learn early on that even working as a brace they can't herd cats. I let them practice on the local geese !

Any specific questions just shout.

He's gorgeous, hope you have many years of companionship.

When mine were squitting I used to feed them on plain cooked chicken and boiled rice. Not the 'roast' chickens you can get from the supermarket, they're too fatty, and definitely no chicken skin. Just put chicken breast in the oven in a bit of water and 'dry' cook it. Binds them up in no time.

Z x

Looks great.

I love Collies, but decided I don't have the stamina to match one - hence our choice of Lab. (Swapped the "totally boundless energy" problem for a "really too big to fit in a back cabin" problem, though!)

I don't think it has been indicated if he is "entire" or not, but even if he is, I'm not sure he will necessarily be "leg cocking" even at 10 months.

Our forum veterinary expert, (Starry), suggested to us it is a learned behaviour, so as well as being about sexual maturity, it may depend on how much he has observed others doing it.

If he has been neutered, and doesn't leg cock now, he is, I think, likely to remain a "squatter". Certainly Charlie, our former Spaniel always squatted, as does our Lab, - Odin will be 1 year old tomorrow. (I realise writing this that I am also overdue in offering him the opportunity of a squat!).