CM'ers - hogging services

matty40s

Featured Posts

I did wonder about mooring on a longterm mooring recently as the person paying for it was moored on the opposite side, near the water point. He had been there since before Christmas I was told

I did wonder about mooring on a longterm mooring recently as the person paying for it was moored on the opposite side, near the water point. He had been there since before Christmas I was told

It's a bit early to recite your sleep mantra sue. :lol:

That seems fair to me. I mean, I don't think I'd do it because I don't know how people would react, but it would seem fair for people to be allowed to do that in that situation, it's not like the boat in question was paying for 2 moorings.

It's one thing for CRT to know about boats illegally moored , and it's another trying to move them on . At Bath Top Lock there are two boats on the Lock Moorings and Winding Hole that have been there for nearly two months , boats going through the locks or trying to turn are majorly inconvienianced . CRT know about this , put patrol notices on the boats , or rather polite notices , as there's really nothing they can do . Until there is established a real system of enforcement there will always be those that decide the rules do not apply to them .

A bit of naming and shaming could be just as effective (possibly even more so) than a fine. The problem is, we don't know the reasons why this boat is there. Personally, I would not want my boat to be identified as a major problem and i'm sure most other people wouldn't either. Boats are very individual and easy to identify and it only takes one person to get angry and do something stupid. However, 'embarrassing' people to stick to rules and etiquette is something we all may have to live with, it's not going away and it will get easier to do so. I hope the owner comes forward and gives an explanation. Will it justify the naming and shaming? Only time will tell.

It's one thing for CRT to know about boats illegally moored , and it's another trying to move them on . At Bath Top Lock there are two boats on the Lock Moorings and Winding Hole that have been there for nearly two months , boats going through the locks or trying to turn are majorly inconvienianced . CRT know about this , put patrol notices on the boats , or rather polite notices , as there's really nothing they can do . Until there is established a real system of enforcement there will always be those that decide the rules do not apply to them .

I'm moored right next to them at the moment (on a visitor mooring, I hasten to add). I did wonder what the deal was with the boats on the lock moorings.

I'm moored right next to them at the moment (on a visitor mooring, I hasten to add). I did wonder what the deal was with the boats on the lock moorings.

Not so yellow on the towpath side ! No idea what's going on , the boat in front of you has engine trouble but the other two I don't think have any excuse . next weekend will be interesting as I'm sure there will be a lot more hire boats coming through .

Not so yellow on the towpath side ! No idea what's going on , the boat in front of you has engine trouble but the other two I don't think have any excuse . next weekend will be interesting as I'm sure there will be a lot more hire boats coming through .

Yeah, I'm waiting for spring to finish that side. It does make it especially difficult on the hirers, and it's not making it any easier on the guy turning there right now. Personally if a boat is on a lock landing I take it as given that they are inviting me to use them as a landing stage, but hirers can't be expected to automatically know what is going on, and so many people seem to make point of being unhelpful to them when they find themselves in a tricky situation. Which is your boat, then?

Big greenie from me. There is no way CRT don't know the boat is there , and you are quite right lack of common sense and consideration is not exclusive to any specific type of boater. Getting older and lazier so staying put and warm for the next few days.

They might know that the boat is there but as is common on GU south they may be ignoring it. If its reported then they cant turn a blind eye.

Yeah, I'm waiting for spring to finish that side. It does make it especially difficult on the hirers, and it's not making it any easier on the guy turning there right now. Personally if a boat is on a lock landing I take it as given that they are inviting me to use them as a landing stage, but hirers can't be expected to automatically know what is going on, and so many people seem to make point of being unhelpful to them when they find themselves in a tricky situation. Which is your boat, then?

Ill come by and say hi

moored.jpg

I find this paint job more worrying though :lol:

It is odd, isn't it. I mean, the finish is excellent, it seems like such on obvious error, It reminds me of an apartment I rented on holiday in Morocco, it was beautifully tiled with patterned tiles throughout, but at one point I noticed that one tile out of the hundreds of tiles was the wrong way round so the pattern didn't line up. I was subsequently told that there's something in the Qur'an along the lines of "Only Allah can make something perfect", meaning that muslim craftsmen deliberately put a "mistake" like that somewhhere in their work because not to would be trying to outdo Allah. Islamic boat painting method, perhaps?

Edited by Doug Scullery

8582531198_1f4d51a3af_b.jpg

NB Castellan out of Glascote Basin

I have tried to think of an excuse for this boater, and can't.

It was moored here Thursday when I arrived and is still moored here now.

There was 1 boat on the VM opposite when I arrived, and 1 grp on the new pontoon - so probably a good 700feet plus of available mooring.

The Services and water point mooring at Fradley are about 120 feet long - I really struggled to get in on Thursday evening with a severe gale blowing me away from this side when I went for water. Other services that boaters need to use are the elsan, rubbish, showers, toilet blocks etc.

Of course the IWA wants rid of those ugly, scruffy pikey boats that block Visitor Moorings and lock landings.

Of course there are daily checks done by CaRT to enforce things.

This is the kind of boat that Nicknorman would not dream of blaming if he arrived at Fradley in midsummer and couldn't get a mooring.

Of course there are not many boats moving due to the weather - but is hat the point?

Just a snapshot example of everything that is wrong with Vaughan Welch, Sally Ash and the Hire boat companies views on the moorings "problems"

Tin hat and popcorn ready.

I'd just knock on the boat, leave a note, then moor right onto it for water.

Sometimes it's good to involve the authorities, but I don't think it's one of those cases.

If the boater came out/back and was abusive or refused to move that would be entirely different.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

moored.jpg

Surely it's just an optical illusion caused by the angle of the shot combined with the rather peculiar bow shape that adorns those boats...

SH's painter wouldn't get it that wrong surely....

Edited by The Dog House

moored.jpg

Surely it's just an optical illusion caused by the angle of the shot combined with the rather peculiar bow shape that adorns those boats...

SH's painter wouldn't get it that wrong surely....

As the owner of a Hudson boat (not the one in question) I can confirm that it is an illusion.

Tony

I don't get worked up about these things. It's a boat, not a barbed wire fence. It's easy to moor against, and it's also easy to drag hoses etc. across it. Of course this may cause some wear and tear, but I'm sure the owner has considered that when he chose his mooring.

May be blase about this as an ex sea going boat owner. Mooring to, and clambering over boats was normal.

• Greenie 1

8582672092_23026696ae.jpg

It does look like that from the high angle - it is almost a Stowe Hill narrowboats curve

8582673046_e9bc610618.jpg

Mr Hudson has designed this boat specially for heart attack victims - it not only runs your generator for you when in hospital - it also empties your ash bucket.

Of course, they are likely to come out on a Saturday. However, I suppose a complaint would suit CaRT when they formulate the Midlands Moorings Proposals consultation.

It was not put up to complain - it was put up to highlight the fact that the "moorings issues" are not always caused by scruffy pikey boats, to highlight how darned selfish some folks are, and to highlight the fact that CaRT will not enforce existing rules , so why waste money on introducing new ones.

And whats wrong with scruffy "pyke" boats, then Matty!! :lol:

Peter and Jeanette took delivery of their boat not long after us, so we know them quite well. Firstly, the paint issue is definitely an optical illusion. They are nice people, live aboard / CC and so I'm sure if someone wanted to use the services and asked, they would move. Quite why they want to moor next to the smelly elsan point and noisy dirty rat-infested rubbish skips I can't imagine - you don't even get satellite reception there! But whatever, one has to bear in mind that as Hudson owners we are the superior breed on the cut and its not unreasonable that, if the fancy takes us, we moor up anywhere for as long as we want. After all, we don't mind if plebe boats (especially those from oop North) want to moor nearby - just not too close in case you contaminate us in some way or let your whippets run free.

It's a real issue,the pre judged opions about scruffy boats. Not just from other boats either.

The other day I was spoken to like a criminal by two crt enforcement officers. When I pointed out I can't move either way at the moment because of stoppages. They went on to say well well check your licence then. I'm sure they wouldn't have spoken to me like that if my boat was shiny. I admit my boat is scruffy but its 80 years old and had a hard life ,I'm doing her up but slowly because of funds

Regards kris

Edited by kris88

Peter and Jeanette took delivery of their boat not long after us, so we know them quite well. Firstly, the paint issue is definitely an optical illusion. They are nice people, live aboard / CC and so I'm sure if someone wanted to use the services and asked, they would move. Quite why they want to moor next to the smelly elsan point and noisy dirty rat-infested rubbish skips I can't imagine - you don't even get satellite reception there! But whatever, one has to bear in mind that as Hudson owners we are the superior breed on the cut and its not unreasonable that, if the fancy takes us, we moor up anywhere for as long as we want. After all, we don't mind if plebe boats (especially those from oop North) want to moor nearby - just not too close in case you contaminate us in some way or let your whippets run free.

Huddy's are pleb boats.

Common as muck.