Floating pub?

Wumpty

Featured Posts

Evening folks,

While sitting in a small 17th century inn a few weeks back, I had a thought, has anyone had the idea of running a pub on a Narrowboat?

The reason I ask is that the business sense behind it seems quite logical to me, everyday we see pubs going out of business due to lack of trade, but what can't they do? Move! A floating pub would be able to move to the customers!

Just a thought that's currently running through my mind...

Adam

Evening folks,

While sitting in a small 17th century inn a few weeks back, I had a thought, has anyone had the idea of running a pub on a Narrowboat?

The reason I ask is that the business sense behind it seems quite logical to me, everyday we see pubs going out of business due to lack of trade, but what can't they do? Move! A floating pub would be able to move to the customers!

Adam

I seem to remember that the butty Squirrel, now reverted to its original name, Grimsby, was once a floating pub. Can't remember where it was based, though. There's also the Wibbley Wobbley, a genuine floating pub moored in Greenland Dock, Rotherhithe. It's a converted barge, though, not a narrowboat.

I seem to remember that the butty Squirrel, now reverted to its original name, Grimsby, was once a floating pub. Can't remember where it was based, though. There's also the Wibbley Wobbley, a genuine floating pub moored in Greenland Dock, Rotherhithe. It's a converted barge, though, not a narrowboat.

Hmm, thanks, something to look into...

An ex-colleague of mine started his own business recently so it's got me thinking...

I seem to remember that the butty Squirrel, now reverted to its original name, Grimsby, was once a floating pub. Can't remember where it was based, though.

Squirrel was used as an extra room at the Longboat at Farmers Bridge in the 1970s. It was moored in an arm alongside the pub, with fake lock gates across the end. The BCN Society occasionally used it for social meetings. Later the arm filled in to provide extra outside seating area.

In the early 1980s I came across Squirrel on a towpath mooring on the lower GU (Batchworth?, Croxley?) still with its Ansell's Brewery squirrel logo etched into the windows.

Evening folks,

Adam

Went here many years ago great place & still going well.

http://www.castlebarge.co.uk/ :cheers:

• Greenie 1

A couple of points :

A liensed premises has to be 'registered' with the local council and 'fees' paid, not sure how that would work if you are moving about from one authorities area to another authorities area.

You need seperate male and female toilets and hand washing facilities.

You need a 'kitchen area' with suitable hand washing facilities (and glass washing facilities) that meet hygene regulations.

Will you be offering food ? - if so 'kitchen' area will need to be up to food hygene standards and be available for inspection by Food Agency inspectors

How would your customers know where you are ?

Have you looked at the costs /implications of getting a C&RT commercial licence, insurance etc ?

You would need to sort out deliveries for wherever you happened to be when you need restocking (or can you roll barrels along the towpath ?)

The 'Barge' at Newark is a floating pub and restaurant (but does not move)

Click link : http://www.castlebarge.co.uk/index.htm

• Greenie 1

Anyone remember 'The Clubship Landfall' in Liverpool. It was,I think, an ex landing craft.

This would have been in the early 70's. We visited Liverpool on a number of ocasions whilst in the RN, good place to meet friendly locals who were sometimes quite happy to put you up for the night, instead of you having to go back onboard............

Martyn

Evening folks,

Adam

Went to this one on the Caledonian Canal a couple of years ago (Eagle Barge Inn - Laggan Locks)

0706%20Caledonian%20Canal%2010th%20To%2014th%20April%202010-L.jpg

0727%20Caledonian%20Canal%2010th%20To%2014th%20April%202010-L.jpg

Very cosy, don't think that it moves though :-)

Tim

Squirrel was used as an extra room at the Longboat at Farmers Bridge in the 1970s. It was moored in an arm alongside the pub, with fake lock gates across the end. The BCN Society occasionally used it for social meetings. Later the arm filled in to provide extra outside seating area.

In the early 1980s I came across Squirrel on a towpath mooring on the lower GU (Batchworth?, Croxley?) still with its Ansell's Brewery squirrel logo etched into the windows.

Found a photo.

Squirrel/Grimsby in the foreground.

296_001.jpg

Evening folks,

Adam

I've thought about but having been in the business it might difficult to make enough profit. Have you got any experience of running a pub?

A floating pub has a few issues on a technical point of view. Beer and its associated equipment takes up a large amount of room if served on draft. You would not be able to serve real ale easily (unless served bright - expensive and a bit of a faff if you do it yourself and has a very short life span) which of course seems to very popular with the boating community. It would be perfectly possible to serve nitro-key but i think a lot of customers turn their nose up at it.

To get the best prices from a brewery you would have to build up a good barrelage - again difficult in a small pub.

Nice idea but not something to jump into without some serious planning.

Just thought, thinking about it, it might be worth approaching a free of tie buying group - certainly a way of getting better beer prices and a way of getting round minimum orders.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

A floating pub has a few issues on a technical point of view. Beer and its associated equipment takes up a large amount of room if served on draft. .

Good point and you'd also need 'cellar cooling' (air-con) to keep your steel 'cellar' cool enough. Thats going to be a huge drain on your electricity, add onto that the beer chillers and eveything else and you'll need a big generator running non-stop.

You really need to keep the beer-chillers running 24/7, if you turn them off overnight, the coolant will have warmed up overnight and the chillers will have to work extra hard to get the temperature down again.

Just another point to ponder - have you got,or are you prepared to get, your 'personal licence' to allow you to be the nominated person to manage a licensed establishment.

A couple of points :

A liensed premises has to be 'registered' with the local council and 'fees' paid, not sure how that would work if you are moving about from one authorities area to another authorities area.

In a similar vein a boat selling diesel needs to have its pump certified correct by the local authority trading standards. I had Alton certified by Derbyshire trading standards but then traded in many other areas as well.

George ex nb Alton retired

Went to this one on the Caledonian Canal a couple of years ago (Eagle Barge Inn - Laggan Locks)

0706%20Caledonian%20Canal%2010th%20To%2014th%20April%202010-L.jpg

0727%20Caledonian%20Canal%2010th%20To%2014th%20April%202010-L.jpg

Very cosy, don't think that it moves though :-)

Tim

Is that the only pub at Laggan? I am cruising that way in a fortnight and plotting the pubstops.

Anyone remember 'The Clubship Landfall' in Liverpool. It was,I think, an ex landing craft.

This would have been in the early 70's. We visited Liverpool on a number of ocasions whilst in the RN, good place to meet friendly locals who were sometimes quite happy to put you up for the night, instead of you having to go back onboard............

Martyn

Sorry, no picture of the boat, which was just off to the right, but this was Canning in 1969. The new canal comes in just off to the left.

8533973328_9c973c26c6_b.jpg

Sorry, no picture of the boat, which was just off to the right, but this was Canning in 1969. The new canal comes in just off to the left.

8533973328_9c973c26c6_b.jpg

The LANDFALL was the club ship of the Master Mariners for many years, in the late '60s it became a disco club before coming to the end of its days as a hulk in Birkenhead docks.