Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Why not buy a boat and go for an undercloth conversion, if you make it of wood it can be removed in the future if somebody else wants an unconverted boat. I'm considering this for mine but don't intend to alter the basic boat. I agree the chimney through the cloths thing looks a bit odd but being cold is far worse.

An empty hull you can see what your getting, conversions hide a multitude of sins .

• Greenie 1

That's one of my reasons, plus convincing Sue we need one

Richard

You are always telling us you have an old, full length boat, that has been "at work" for many years of its life, and should qualify to be in historic boat parades.

Perhaps Sue is convinced you already have one, and hence you have no need for another?

Why not buy a boat and go for an undercloth conversion, if you make it of wood it can be removed in the future if somebody else wants an unconverted boat. I'm considering this for mine but don't intend to alter the basic boat. I agree the chimney through the cloths thing looks a bit odd but being cold is far worse.

An empty hull you can see what your getting, conversions hide a multitude of sins .

It's a nice idea, but I'm a bit tall for most under cloth conversions I've been in, and frankly find them a bit restricting compared to a cabined boat, being able usually only to sand in the very middle.

Mind you, if the right one came on the market.......

If I were having an undercloth conversion on a steel bottomed boat, I'd want to have either a 20mm baseplate or very dense ballast, to have the floor as low as possible. If you've got something with 4' hull sides or more, then you'd end up with a lot of headroom- probably slightly over 7' right in the centre- which would hopefully make it much roomier inside.

The Sage of Tring and I missed the chance to see Ben's boat on the way down to Watford as we were on a bit of a mission and on the way back the Great Helmsman and I were on an even more of a mission!!! I am with the Madcat on this, an undercloth conversion is fine, in most circumstances and in any event a full width conversion just looks crap IMHO and I have got one smile.png What do you want a full length conversion for anyway? you have suffered with Sickle long enough now to have got used to the agonies. A tent in the hold is good enough for me btw.

I'm 6.3 and have no worries at all. Pm me at any time if you fancy a look. Towns are the way!

Absolutely

Absolutely

I suppose it depends how many "good boats" you actually believe there are for sale at a half-way realistic price.

We are almost certainly after one, but each time I ask about particular boats I tend to get warnings about a lot of money probably needing to be spent, (or at least there being some uncertainty about how much money will need to be spent).

If you can definitively tell me which are the "good boats" at not ridiculous money, then I'm all ears.

(Mind you we are looking for one with a conversion, which seems to make it one order of magnitude more difficult!).

alan-would you like to pm me?

Atalanta star class double top planks, a frames new bottoms new footings steel gunnels 10 gals wax oil Rayburn one of the older undercloth conversions, 18 months of my life rebuiding now where did I leave her oh yes someone gave me money... More fool me.dont convert a town class unless you are 6 foot plus you can't see out......

Quite a few have slipped off "the Duck" in recent weeks, I think, although I can't claim to have tracked closely ones I would have no great interest in.

"Lancing" I think has disappeared relatively recently, and at some point prior to that others including "Mountbatten"& "Jellicoe", "Hawkesbury" and "Cambourne".

Does anybody know if any of these have found a new owner?

I do wonder how interested some owners are in selling though - I have had multiple attempts to contact one advertiser over a timespan of over 2 weeks, and had no call back whatsoever.

They must have seen you posts on here Alan smile.png

Charming PB - I must learn to adopt your more easy going style (!) :lol:

Actually I could have been interested in a boat about which I have made multiple attempts to get a call back.

Of course I realise there may be good reasons why they are not answering even though the advert still says the boat is for sale.

But they are potentially losing out on someone with the money, ready to make a purchase, and I don't think any vendor does themselves any favours by having the same boat on the market for months.

There are some I'm not ringing up about right now, because you think if they have been trying to shift it for over a year, there has to be a problem.

Shame on you oh wise one, I have been making a concerted effort to follow your's and MtB's laid back common sense and have felt all the better for it plus I am getting a little old for all the fighting smile.png

Have you not seen MtB and me having one of our notorious tow path scraps? :lol: