Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Rigal is rubbish IMHO, which is why it is severly reduced and hs still not sold

Rigal was discussed on here in depth (might even be in this very thread!) and the consensus IIRC seemed to be that the cabin was the wrong shape and and the boat was pretending to be something it wasn't. An old photo showing it in a previous paint scheme looked completely brilliant however. Another re-paint back to the old colour sceme could actually add a few £k to the value in my opinion, and improve saleability enourmously.

MtB

• 2 weeks later...

Vesta cost me £200 with 700 gallons of fuel in a large tank and two spare reconditioned Nationals.in 1961.Ian was for sale at Braunston for £80 but very tired and twisted.

Edited by Max Sinclair

BRISTOL.

Nice looking boat.

http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=322352

MtB

These things are starting to take of, aren't they?

£53K now, and I'm sure less than £40K around (I guess) 4 years ago.

No idea what spend it has had on it since, but one could almost be tricked into thinking they can be an investment! :lol:

These things are starting to take of, aren't they?

£53K now, and I'm sure less than £40K around (I guess) 4 years ago.

No idea what spend it has had on it since, but one could almost be tricked into thinking they can be an investment! laugh.png

Yes I remember BOURNEMOUTH coming on the market a couple of years ago at £50k and thinking they must be kidding. Now it is beginning to look a pretty reasonable price.

MtB

Did Black Prince have that as a hire boat at one time, or is my memory playing tricks?

Tim

Yep it was, used to be advertised on the back of the waterways world mag.

Darren

I wonder what tricks they have pulled with "Bristol" to get the beam down to just the 6' 10" quoted in that advert!

Can you pull the sides of a boat in without taking the top off.

Darren

I wonder what tricks they have pulled with "Bristol" to get the beam down to just the 6' 10" quoted in that advert!

interesting question. Wouldn't it have been built at 7ft 0" or something like that?

Maybe some Big Assumptions have been made by the advertiser.

MtB

Often claimed as being 7' and one half inch for 'GU' boats. Quite how it could be narrowed at the engine room bulkheads is the question.

Some were significantly wider than that, the back of the foredeck often being the widest 'fixed' point.

I took nearly two inches out of one, when fitting a new deck, by pulling it in (with considerable force required) with the deck removed and a cut down the middle of the bulkhead. New deck and steel coaming welded on to hold it in shape, but still a little bit over seven feet.

Tim

iMaybe some Big Assumptions have been made by the advertiser.

MtB

There are a few things with the advert for BRISTOL that are technically incorrect. In addition to the dimensions the build date is wrong, quoted as 1935 when it was actually delivered on 12 December 1936. The owner states that the engine is a Lister HA2 but is actually an HB2, unless of course it has been changed recently.

I seem to recall it was operated by Challenger (Ed and Gill Rimmer) when they first started up.

DIPPER was sold by Willow Wren Canal Transport Services Ltd. in 1970 to Ed Rimmer, who renamed it as BRISTOL. It was operated by Mr Rimmer, who traded as both Black Prince and Challenger, until 1987 when it passed into private ownership.

There are a few things with the advert for BRISTOL that are technically incorrect. In addition to the dimensions the build date is wrong, quoted as 1935 when it was actually delivered on 12 December 1936. The owner states that the engine is a Lister HA2 but is actually an HB2, unless of course it has been changed recently.

DIPPER was sold by Willow Wren Canal Transport Services Ltd. in 1970 to Ed Rimmer, who renamed it as BRISTOL. It was operated by Mr Rimmer, who traded as both Black Prince and Challenger, until 1987 when it passed into private ownership.

There's no real difference between an HA and an HB ;)

Tim

Yep it was, used to be advertised on the back of the waterways world mag.

Darren

BRISTOL did appear on the back page of Waterways World magazine, but only once - February 1983. It also appeared inside the front cover on one occasion - August 1987 when it was being sold by Black Prince Holidays Ltd.. I have a list of 16 published photographs of BRISTOL, but there are clearly more.

There's no real difference between an HA and an HB wink.png

Tim

I know, but the engine serial number is different and that is what I have a record of.

Edited by pete harrison

• 2 weeks later...

DAGNAMIT - BARNES (Originally paired with our BADSEY) IS UP FOR SALE.

But we recently bought the butty ANGEL when we could find no other Large Woolwich butty for sale!!!!......

However, we wouldn't have paid the asking price of £55k and there would have been a lot of work to do to make it original again.

Edited by canalchef

DAGNAMIT - BARNES (Originally paired with our BADSEY) IS UP FOR SALE.

But we recently bought the butty ANGEL when we could find no other Large Woolwich butty for sale!!!!......

However, we wouldn't have paid the asking price of £55 and there would have been a lot of work to do to make it original again.

DAGNAMIT - is that the name of a boat or an expletive?

£55 sounds cheap for any sort of boat ;)

Tim

DAGNAMIT - is that the name of a boat or an expletive?

£55 sounds cheap for any sort of boat wink.png

Tim

You are of course quite right to pull me up on that - The expletive used by Deputy Dawg was actually "DAGNABBIT".

CONGRATULATIONS - TOTAL BARGAIN - AND WE ARE WILLING TO DELIVER THIS BOAT ABSOLUTELY FREE OF CHARGE JUST AS SOON AS OUR BANK CLEARS YOUR CHEQUE FOR £55,000.

89hg.jpg

You are of course quite right to pull me up on that - The expletive used by Deputy Dawg was actually "DAGNABBIT".

CONGRATULATIONS - TOTAL BARGAIN - AND WE ARE WILLING TO DELIVER THIS BOAT ABSOLUTELY FREE OF CHARGE JUST AS SOON AS OUR BANK CLEARS YOUR CHEQUE FOR £55,000.

Sorry, never come across that before.

...but you said Fifty-five POUNDS, not fifty-five THOUSAND. I've changed my mind.

Tim