Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but FMC Laurel is now for sale through ABNB.

Wow - I'm amazed Paul is selling her given the family history and connections.

Oh god - just looked at the advert, what happened to the cabin?

Edited by Speedwheel

However, the forward plywood cabin and

timber fit-out required constant repair and after over 50 years of service, were
removed in 2013, restoring her looks back to the purchase in 1963

In the brochure

Where can I find £38,000?

Richard

Looks as if she has been used as a trip boat.

Full marks to ABNB for assembling such a range of photos including a couple taken during the boat's working days, to emphasise her history.

Looks as if she has been used as a trip boat.

Full marks to ABNB for assembling such a range of photos including a couple taken during the boat's working days, to emphasise her history.

It's the frame from the cabin.

Richard

Oh come on Mr. Owl, even I am not that stoopid. I realised that but thought it looked like the frame from a cabin which had had big windows or apertures - like a trip boat.

Strangely I posted pictures of Rigal at Adelaide dock on a different post last week.

Rigal2_zps2027dbb2.jpg

AdelaidedockSouthallRigal12_zpsdfceb59b.

AdelaidedocksouthallRigal11_zps5602cc9c.

AdelaidedocksouthallRigal1_zpsa0d65e0e.j

AdelaidedocksouthallRigal10_zpsd4dbe0c5.

I did not think it was 70ft at the time. So I guess it has been lengthened since. At the time I thought it looked proportionate.

Carl Ryan

They are both motors, so I guess "Laurel" has never been paired with "Hardy".....

(Coat!)

How very odd for something like this to be with ABNB?

Not the first time though. They were the brokers selling FENNY a couple of years ago.

Laurel seems very original, complete with elm bottom. Would seem a shame to see her get 'blinged up' should the new owner be that way inclined.

Also a shame for the full length top to have been removed. When there are none left, people will start putting them back on in 'genuine 1960/70's style', I predict.

MtB

I personally think you have to be a bit brave to have a composite boat with a full cabin conversion on it.

Wooden bottoms are one thing when you can just take up shuts and inspect them from inside.

If a leak needs to be traced it is relatively easy, if you can quickly expose a very large percentage of the bottom from inside.

Given that many people fit a boat by "floors in first, then everything built up from there", if you do have problems, it could get quite destructive to get to where you need to be. If you think of what Moley has had to do even with a leaking steel boat........

I personally think you have to be a bit brave to have a composite boat with a full cabin conversion on it.

Wooden bottoms are one thing when you can just take up shuts and inspect them from inside.

If a leak needs to be traced it is relatively easy, if you can quickly expose a very large percentage of the bottom from inside.

Given that many people fit a boat by "floors in first, then everything built up from there", if you do have problems, it could get quite destructive to get to where you need to be. If you think of what Moley has had to do even with a leaking steel boat........

Very good point.

I expect Carl and CP will be along soon though, to say how easy wood is to maintain....

;)

MtB

Very good point.

I expect Carl and CP will be along soon though, to say how easy wood is to maintain....

wink.png

MtB

Yes,

There is of course no reason why a set of wood bottoms, well maintained, has to be a problem.

But how many boats being sold with them actually have one in very good order?

Also, even if they should be easy to deal with, and re-caulk etc as required, so many of the DIY type craning docking facilities do not easily allow you to get under your boat. Before taking on a "composite" constructed boat, I would want to know I had at least one place nearby that could get it safely out of the water, and high enough above ground that working underneath started to be a sensible proposition.

They are both motors, so I guess "Laurel" has never been paired with "Hardy".....

(Coat!)

How very odd for something like this to be with ABNB?

Laurel was owned for many years by Alan Smith, who died recently. I also believe Alan owned the rights to the Fellows Morton and Clayton name. His son Paul owns ABNB.

• Greenie 1

wink.png

MtB

I think the answer is simple.

Tools required to rebottom a composite boat as built...handsaw, bits and brace, big socket and a ratchet handle.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could tell me what tools are required to rebottom a rivetted boat as original or even replace rivetted/wooden bottoms with welded steel?

I can understand why someone may be reluctant to take on a wooden boat but I can't understand why anyone would replace the wooden bottoms of a composite boat with metal.

I would want to know I had at least one place nearby that could get it safely out of the water, and high enough above ground that working underneath started to be a sensible proposition.

I haven't been in a drydock yet where I couldn't get underneath a boat but, personally I'd jack one side of the boat up for added comfort.

The other good thing about damaged wooden bottoms is that you can make an effective repair, in the water, to get safely to drydock, unlike metal ones which are a bit tougher, when it comes to nailing the plywood patches on.

Edited by carlt

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could tell me what tools are required to rebottom a rivetted boat as original or even replace rivetted/wooden bottoms with welded steel?

To re-bottom a riveted iron hull is just as easy as a wooden one. Two tools are needed:

1) Pen

2) Cheque book.

Hope that helps :)

MtB

To re-bottom a riveted iron hull is just as easy as a wooden one. Two tools are needed:..

Which pretty much renders your "easy to maintain" point irrelevant.

I've never used the "pen and chequebook" method so can't comment further.

• 4 weeks later...