Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

it depends...... IF this is how BW did the work then all too many get chopped and a modern stern is put on, and more examples of this period of history is lost. I suspect she would have been like this longer than as a working butty. 

I can't remember which butty she was, the information will be there somewhere.

It seems a little poorly written.

Dispersal sale? I think it was a disposal sale. 

And what is the 'British Water Board' ? 

eta 

At the forward end is the gas locker is sited.  

Edited by magnetman

38 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Good to see they have prepared it for sale....

You should have seen it before they cleaned and smartened it up....

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

It seems a little poorly written.

Dispersal sale? I think it was a disposal sale. 

I suspect the listing may not of bin written by the erudite Posh Tim.....

17 hours ago, John Brightley said:

BW inspection launch 'Vigilante' for sale at Braunston Marina, £38k: image.thumb.png.130663fe675ea6a145865d21e5d9da7d.png

https://braunstonmarina.co.uk/boat-details/nb-vigilante/

Have Braunston Marina somehow managed to put an extra zero on the asking price?

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Have Braunston Marina somehow managed to put an extra zero on the asking price?

It shows that even if something is old and unusual it's not necessarily desirable, at least in that condition. I'll be surprised if they get more than £20k for it.

Posted (edited)

This one keeps coming around.

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-traditional-for-sale/655585

£94,995 seems a bit much if it is quoted as over-plated.

It claims original hull sides were iron rather than steel.  I can't recall if that is correct or not, but must admit I always thing the construction of these boats was welded steel.  Perhaps I'm wrong?

EDIT:  It seems I was wrong!  On checking I now believe the actual construction was welded wrought iron, (other than the bottoms which were wood, as the boats were of composite construction.

Edited by alan_fincher

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

The caption on the last picture states it is all steel!

True it does, I discussed that with one of the sons at Wyvern Shipping in the 80s.  He was the one who cut her down on Braunston dock.  He pointed out, if you look closely at the photo you will see wooden bottoms and kelson.
Also the advert brags an HR2 dating from the 50s, which is no mean achievement when you consider that Lister model wasn't introduced until 1969!?

The blurb continues to wax lyrically, and inaccurately, droning on about its history and accuracy, while very little research shows ...

The Severners were all built with the engine room at the very back where the steerer stood.

The living cabin was in front of that, not as they have it.

And then we come to the telephone number for contact 94,995.  I can't see that ringing true.

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Also the advert brags an HR2 dating from the 50s, which is no mean achievement when you consider that Lister model wasn't introduced until 1969!?

A very early prototype!

Wooden FMC motor 'Aster' again.

Currently sunk at Bradley and to be broken up fairly imminently if no-one takes her on.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/389587549882474/permalink/787095536798338/

(I've briefly considered it before realising how foolish that would be with my lack of equipment & knowledge...)

Edited by Francis Herne

This is the sort of Boat which should be temporarily floated then towed to a suitable location where it will not be an obstruction then sunk and pinned in place and allowed to return to nature.

Its part of the history if canals. No harm will be done and very little energy will be consumed. It will remain visible and gradually be overtaken by reeds and such like. 

Consuming energy to break up something which has no scrap value is a worthless task.

History should be retained and be available to view even if it is a reed bed. 

it an interesting argument with wooden boats. I feel she should, if no one takes her on seriously, be transferred to the off site storage facility at Ellesmere Port as an example of a wooden Josher which so few of are extant. 

the argument of scrap value is an interesting one. we dismantled Beech in 2020 and are still using the wood that was salvageable , and her ironwork has gone on to be repurposed for other things but being kept as a set. at the boatyard we also have a social space called 'The Beech Hut' made from.....you know what......

Edited by stagedamager
spelling.....
  • Greenie 3

On 04/03/2024 at 22:52, John Brightley said:

BW inspection launch 'Vigilante' for sale at Braunston Marina, £38k: image.thumb.png.130663fe675ea6a145865d21e5d9da7d.png

https://braunstonmarina.co.uk/boat-details/nb-vigilante/

It looked much nicer with a white hull as Swift, I first saw her early 60's with Sir Reginald Kerr stemming her up at the bottom of Grindley Brook staircase on one of his inspection tours,

On 20/02/2024 at 06:35, alan_fincher said:

Broke our hearts last time we saw what was our pride and joy.

Even in our worst financial periods we cleaned and brass polished.

Painted repaired  re skinned the cabin replaced the range , put on steel gunnels and had cloths made. 

All done by hours of overtime and our unskilled labour.

Last time we saw her at Weedon couldnt bring ourselves to look properly at the hideous mess.

And its Thaxted. Widgeon was a temporary Willow Wren name, appertaining to a short period of ownership. Less time than we owned her.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Broke our hearts last time we saw what was our pride and joy.

Even in our worst financial periods we cleaned and brass polished.

Painted repaired  re skinned the cabin replaced the range , put on steel gunnels and had cloths made. 

All done by hours of overtime and our unskilled labour.

Last time we saw her at Weedon couldnt bring ourselves to look properly at the hideous mess.

And its Thaxted. Widgeon was a temporary Willow Wren name, appertaining to a short period of ownership. Less time than we owned her.

Every time I see a picture of it now I remember your comments when I posted a picture of the cabin being extended.  Little did anyone know what an absolute mess they'd eventually make of it.

Triagulum is for sale on Facebook marketplace. Now with steel top and spray foamed and lined out.

Bargain at 53k... 🤣

I'm looking for a converted butty but not prepared to pay a premium for the inconvenience of no engine when I could buy a motor for the same money!

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Rufford said:

Triagulum is for sale on Facebook marketplace. Now with steel top and spray foamed and lined out.

Bargain at 53k... 🤣

I'm looking for a converted butty but not prepared to pay a premium for the inconvenience of no engine when I could buy a motor for the same money!

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/1387222361915474?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

Edited by alan_fincher

14 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Made a right mess of that it doesn’t look traditional in any way .

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

Bit of a jolt to the eyes, isn't it! 

image.png.d30706c97d7f1eca7cc91ba2e050ebcc.png

Does Chris Pink still have an interest in it, or has it at some stage before now changed hands?