Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, RLWP said:

19dfdc42f25f30c00c4f3436c6ba34e1.jpg

Appears mk 4 or 5 Cooper  early long stroke international Double Knocker  Norton dolls head gear box with more modern clutch the 2nd plug wasa 10 mm partially under the cam box My car was a Modded Mk 8 with an alfin inboard drum brake mounted on the centre casing & a 36mm Amal GP RN Carb with remote flexible mounted float chambers wouldn't go very well  no primary chain

3 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Appears mk 4 or 5 Cooper  early long stroke international Double Knocker  Norton dolls head gear box with more modern clutch the 2nd plug wasa 10 mm partially under the cam box My car was a Modded Mk 8 with an alfin inboard drum brake mounted on the centre casing & a 36mm Amal GP RN Carb with remote flexible mounted float chambers wouldn't go very well  no primary chain

Sorry the greek translator went up in smoke trying to make sense of that. :)

19 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Sorry the greek translator went up in smoke trying to make sense of that. :)

LOL! Double knocker - double over head cams, Dolls head gearbox, so called because it resembled a dolls head in appearance. Alfin, a manufacturer of barrels (IIRC) and brake drums. Amal, make of carburettor, still in business.

6 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Did the twin plug set up on the Guzzi fire at the same time ? i had a RobinJackson twin plug head set up on a 1954 Manx Norton engine powering a F3 cooper race car the single magneto provided 2 sparks (2 sets  of points)& the non standard plug fired a few degrees after the original

Not a project that has been rebuilt as yet, but the Guzzi V twin now has two plugs per head, so both fire at the same time to maximise burn, but the other pot does not fire at the same point, unlike the Citroen 2cv (horizontally opposed twin) in which both plugs fire at the same time - wasted spark system.

That single magneto with two sparks staggered sounds curious - what was the idea? Was there any advantage?

Just found this:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17358/lot/361/

Edited by Derek R.
added link

41 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

That would make total sense to my wife’s cousin’s husband, who until recently was the driver of a Hardy Special hillclimb car running ethanol into an large Amal carb, helped by a supercharger, making a JAP twin work very hard. Chain driven as well, 7 chains iirc from front to back.

53 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Yes, I wondered about the primary chain

I got seduced in a model shop:

it4602.jpg

So, just now those 500CC Norton engines are of interest to me

Richard

27 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

LOL! Double knocker - double over head cams, Dolls head gearbox, so called because it resembled a dolls head in appearance. Alfin, a manufacturer of barrels (IIRC) and brake drums. Amal, make of carburettor, still in business.

remote float chambers - prevents flooding due to vibration

13 hours ago, RLWP said:

Yes, I wondered about the primary chain

I got seduced in a model shop:

it4602.jpg

So, just now those 500CC Norton engines are of interest to me

Richard

remote float chambers - prevents flooding due to vibration

You can see the difference between the inter & manx motors of that era by the size if the barrel finning

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

That would make total sense to my wife’s cousin’s husband, who until recently was the driver of a Hardy Special hillclimb car running ethanol into an large Amal carb, helped by a supercharger, making a JAP twin work very hard. Chain driven as well, 7 chains iirc from front to back.

That takes me back forty years to when I marshalled at VSCC events. The Hardy was a regular at speed hill climbs, though not as sharp a noise as the Light-weight Special which would shake your eyeballs as it went passed. I had a pair of Amals on my Riley 9 special at the time, alas not the four which Freddy Dixon used on his racing Riley 9s.

13 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

That would be methanol in some cases the carb was run without a needle as the main jet was often in the 1200size rather than 2/300 for petrol the historic F3 Japs still often run on methanol

14 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Not a project that has been rebuilt as yet, but the Guzzi V twin now has two plugs per head, so both fire at the same time to maximise burn, but the other pot does not fire at the same point, unlike the Citroen 2cv (horizontally opposed twin) in which both plugs fire at the same time - wasted spark system.

That single magneto with two sparks staggered sounds curious - what was the idea? Was there any advantage?

Just found this:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17358/lot/361/

The staggered spark setting was fixed in relation to each other  if you swapped the plug leads over you could certainly tell & the revs at WOT were some 300 down an Ex Norton Engine builder Bill Stuart looked after the motors & my life long friend Philip Robinson drove the car as he was a better driver than me

57 minutes ago, ChimneyChain said:

What's the "Historic Boats Society" then?

As I said before, it's a shame the seller doesn't apparently know the difference between an "Admiral" and a "Blue Top", despite 20 years of ownership!

On 06/07/2018 at 08:42, magnetman said:

Regents canal barge I reckon.

We're they ever used with sails? I always associate that shape stern with sailing barges but that might just be because many Thames barges are like that. 

2 hours ago, sparrowcycles said:

We're they ever used with sails? I always associate that shape stern with sailing barges but that might just be because many Thames barges are like that. 

If we are going back to the wide beam 'BETELGEUSE' - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/houseboat-/302799746879?oid=302791044812

The claim to it being a Manchester Ship Canal Barge might be true, but I fancy as a maintenance boat. It's an interesting vessel, and looks very comfy within. I especially like the ceiling (we'd call it the floor) wide planks - lovely! Not so sure about concrete as ballast though.

The Regents had a variety of wide craft in use, though I think the Lee Navigation took the smaller Thames styled barges, and they may have carried sail.

Regents 19200002 (Medium).JPG

Oval Road-L.jpg

• Greenie 1

Well, you could say that. The boats are going under Oval Road (rail bridge long gone and where the Pirates Castle now stands). The horse is about to climb the bridge taking the towpath over the interchange basin (dead dog basin), and the towpath bridge beyond is just above Camden lock, the first of the Hampstead Road three.

The first image shows the barge heading toward Paddington from the Cumberland branch junction, passing the Zoological Society's plant nurseries which at that time, and until the mid sixties, was situated there on the North bank.

Edited by Derek R.

I may be putting Clypeus up for sale soon, as I am reluctantly concluding that it is a bit much for one inexperienced person to deal with, I'm not getting out an about on the boat as I had hoped to do and a lengthy and draining commute seems inescapable. Posting speculatively in case anyone is looking (hope this is okay?) - feel free to PM me for details. This will not be an easy decision as she is a lovely boat.

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 15:00, sparrowcycles said:

We're down ever used witRegents? I always associate that shape st ern with sailing barg es but that might just be because many Thames barges are like that. 

It does look a bit like a Thames sailing barge i see what you mean. Old photos show that some sailing barges did come onto the Regents section of the Grand Union. 

The reason i doubted the manchester ship canal description is because i can not see a reason why anyone would tow a dumb barge down from manchester To London  .

Takes all sorts to be fair !!

Eta sorry the quoted text seems to have been messed up i didn't do anything my phone is playing up  

Edited by magnetman