Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Image of Slough from 2008, (good grief, was this really EIGHT years ago!), showing the "funnel".

IMG_1033_zpsdzrv8uvi.jpg

It seems the main function of the funnel may well have been to support the complex engine (or generator?) exhaust system.

Edited by alan_fincher

Which brings us back to these:

P11201061.jpg

P1120107.jpg

Sorry gone smiley_offtopic.gif .

That's impressive ! But why :unsure:

Saves lengthening the boat I guess and may provide a man cave :rolleyes:

Image of Slough from 2008, (good grief, was this really EIGHT years ago!), showing the "funnel".

IMG_1033_zpsdzrv8uvi.jpg

It seems the main function of the funnel may well have been to support the complex engine (or generator?) exhaust system.

Looks a like a fairly severe exhaust system I would guess its someone trying to make a noisy generator quieter ?

That's impressive ! But why unsure.png

Saves lengthening the boat I guess and may provide a man cave rolleyes.gif

Because you can?

There was a furore with BW / CRT as to the licensing of these boats, there are two or is it four in existance?

I forget what the outcome was.

IMG_1033_zpsdzrv8uvi.jpg

If you have a funnel like that im not convinced you need the extra bit of exhaust coming out of it

I was in Harefield on the lower GU for most of the nineties. Sun (I think the same boat but as above, no meaningful pictures) was moored just up the cut in Rickmansworth and we used to see her around all the time. I thought then that she had the most perfect lines of any boat I knew and she seemed to move without the water knowing.

I also saw her win at least one boat handling competition. A big butty rudder and an engine is a combination with advantages!

Perhaps the 73ft is measured to the tip of the rudder. Or were Bantocks unusually long?

Spent many happy evenings on her with chris and penny in the early 80s at Ricky mill tail. Fastest butty on the cut. Chris had josher sultan too (steamer) as a hulk in those days.

Beautiful to look at boat in those days well cared for and sorted.

Chris and penny were one of the few in the area to welcome us with a modern colecraft in 1981, everyone else lived on wooden boats or converted working boats, and many looked down on "moderns" . 3 years later we had a pair....

I too spent time on board with them, he described Sultan as his pension.

IIRC he'd sprayed the butty's bottoms from the inside with some concoction he reckoned would alleviate any need to replace.
So 33 years on I wonder if he was right?

Spent many happy evenings on her with chris and penny in the early 80s at Ricky mill tail. Fastest butty on the cut. Chris had josher sultan too (steamer) as a hulk in those days.

Beautiful to look at boat in those days well cared for and sorted.

Chris and penny were one of the few in the area to welcome us with a modern colecraft in 1981, everyone else lived on wooden boats or converted working boats, and many looked down on "moderns" . 3 years later we had a pair....

Now its your turn to look down lol

Just to keep the record straight it wasn't Sultan at all. Turned out to be Briton ex-Baroness and is now (in pieces) at Industry Narrowboats. Matty's had renamed it Silver Ann which had been corrupted to Sultan by chinese whispers.

Paul

I was in Harefield on the lower GU for most of the nineties. Sun (I think the same boat but as above, no meaningful pictures) was moored just up the cut in Rickmansworth and we used to see her around all the time. I thought then that she had the most perfect lines of any boat I knew and she seemed to move without the water knowing.

I also saw her win at least one boat handling competition. A big butty rudder and an engine is a combination with advantages!

Perhaps the 73ft is measured to the tip of the rudder. Or were Bantocks unusually long?

I owned a motorised bantock (Orianne) briefly and yes it was very long so quite possibly the length included the 'elum or rudder.

Nice boat to drive she went like a rocket and also very nice looking. I was afraid to put a steel top on it so sold it to someone else - not sure what happened to it :unsure:

I remember Sun moored up the backwater by tesco in Ricky (mill stream?) Outside the pub.

Its a nice boat.

Been up for a long while. Will never sell. Its not even in the water. I beleive they crained it out put it on lorry crained it back in and broke her as she was leaking badly so pulled her out. I spoke to the people that have her to try and find out what work she needed and he wasnt really intrested. I was i kinda want to know as im looking at costs for buying her and got well it needs a good look over that will cost but no cost given when i asked. There not intrested in doing the work either. It will sit there and then be broken up in my opinion. The 5k is to cover crts costs fror removal and other costs.

Please dont start the rant as to how and why its been discussed and im not involved or interested in either party i was intrested in the boat.

It doesn't exactly shout "Small Northwich" to me.

Some homage to it maybe, but "replica" certainly not, I would say.

Ha! I was about to post the same about the bow not looking anything like a Northwich.

Perhaps its a Northwich replica because of the extra tunnel band.