Jim Shead Site ?????

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Anyone have the location to insert ?

The web site address for Jim's site is http://www.jim-shead.com. Put this in the Wayback Machine box and click Take Me Back. From the page of dates click a highlighted date to see the web site from that date.

Edited to correct spelling

Edited by Rob-M

The web site address for Jim's site is http://www.jim-shead.com. Put this in the Wayback Machine box and click Take Me Back. From the page of dates click a highlighted date to see the web site from that date.

Edited to correct spelling

Thank you Rob-M

I dont know if any of you have tried this link but when I try to dig down - search for a boat name or look for a photo etc. The site wont go any further

Thank you Rob-M

I dont know if any of you have tried this link but when I try to dig down - search for a boat name or look for a photo etc. The site wont go any further

That will be because I only looked at the top page of the boat listings when I looked at the site on the archive. The code in Jim's site won't work on the archive site so sorry not a good work around.

That will be because I only looked at the top page of the boat listings when I looked at the site on the archive. The code in Jim's site won't work on the archive site so sorry not a good work around.

Try this instead or a mirror site here.

Once on the internet, nearly always there somewhere!

edited to add second link

Edited by bjornunda

Press release from Jim Shead issued 14th Feb:

The disappearing Boat Listing

123-reg, the web hosting company for Jim Shead's web site, have ordered that two entries be deleted from the Boat Listing following a complaint by Tim Mountain that the entries infringed his copyright. 123-reg have not upheld this complaint but they did still insist that the items be removed before they would reinstate the website at www.jim-shead.com. Reluctantly Jim withdrew all the boat listing rather than just removing the two items as he considered that the list would no longer reflect the true situation at the time the data was captured and secondly that giving special treatment to boat owners who make spurious complaints would encourage others to follow suit.

Unfortunately when he placed this explanation on his website Tim Mountain complained again and this time 123-reg closed the whole website.

One of the Boat Listing users suggested we should get in touch with the Open Rights Group who raised the matter with its legal panel. McEvedys Solicitors & Attorneys Ltd agreed to assist us pro bono and with their help we have contacted the hosting company challenging the subsistence of any copyright in craft registration data and Mr. Mountain's claim to be its author. We await further developments.

Further Information on the history of the Boat Listing

The Boat Listing contains individual records of around 90,000 boats, past and present,. These records have been supplied annually since 2005 by British Waterways and the Environment Agency (EA) under the Freedom of Information Act. The Broads Authority is now also supplying data. Jim Shead's website is the only public source of this data.

Richard

Hi Midnight.

Jim's site is/was http://www.jim-shead.com

Jim's email address I already have. I was concerned that as 123-Reg had pulled his site (for the reasons in his press release), his email address wouldn't work. In fact it's OK - I had an email from him this morning

Richard

Edited by RLWP

And respect goes out to McEvedys Solicitors & Attorneys Ltd, for getting involved pro bono.

MtB

P.S. Interesting point they raise that had not previously occurred to me... For Mr Mountain to own the copyright in <something>, he needs to have been it's author. Mr Mountain is not the author of his boat registration data.

I was concerned that as 123-Reg had pulled his site ... his email address wouldn't work. In fact it's OK - I had an email from him this morning

Richard

My intention was to show that the alternative isn't hosted by 1-2-3 and maybe working. However if you have contact that's good.

My intention was to show that the alternative isn't hosted by 1-2-3 and maybe working. However if you have contact that's good.

The 'alternative' is the Web archived version of the site - the site as it was some time in the past

Richard

And respect goes out to McEvedys Solicitors & Attorneys Ltd, for getting involved pro bono.

MtB

P.S. Interesting point they raise that had not previously occurred to me... For Mr Mountain to own the copyright in <something>, he needs to have been it's author. Mr Mountain is not the author of his boat registration data.

I went to the garage the other day to buy some wiper blades for my C4, they asked my reg no to make sure they had the right model. At first I thought they checked their records as that is where I have the car serviced so I looked online, sure enough they asked the reg number before deciding which wipers I required.

I went to the garage the other day to buy some wiper blades for my C4, they asked my reg no to make sure they had the right model. At first I thought they checked their records as that is where I have the car serviced so I looked online, sure enough they asked the reg number before deciding which wipers I required.

Yes, that's pretty common. Many car spares websites now do the same, for example, GSF: http://www.gsfcarparts.com/

Richard

I don't understand why anyone would object to simple details being online.

ok so if it said engine type and you had a rare engine or something you could argue it may invite people to break in and take stuff but name index number builder engine power where is the problem?

Reading this thread I am struck by the one use of J S's site that seems most important to me and doesn't seem to have got a mention.

If you are researching a new and novel name for your boat and wish to avoid being the 23rd to use the name you have in mind then a definitive (or nearso) list is invaluable.

Certainly when naming our boat (the one before this) a few years ago I was on J Shead's site all the time.

It would be interesting if we were to find a Harpagon 2, Harpagon 3 etc cruising the waterways as a result of not being listed :rolleyes:

I don't understand why anyone would object to simple details being online.

ok so if it said engine type and you had a rare engine or something you could argue it may invite people to break in and take stuff but name index number builder engine power where is the problem?

The problem is that Mr Mountain made a spurious and baseless complaint about his boat name, number and engine power appearing on the database. The web host, instead of telling Mr Mountain not to be such a silly billy, instructed Jim Shead to delete the entry or they'd take his site down.

Jim elected to take the whole database down and he explained why on his site. This got up the nose of the web host who then took the whole site down anyway.

Jim's site didn't list engine types. Only the power.

MtB