Jim Shead Site ?????

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I have spoken to Open Rights Group, and they are very interested in providing advice, some legal help and/or hosting the site to remove the hosting issue that Jim is contending with. I've e-mailed Jim (thanks G&F), and will put him in touch with the right people.

If all else fails, I would be prepared to replicate Jim's work, and obtain the raw data afresh to build a new database.

Good man , well done

Anybody have any contact details for Jim?

If Tim Mountain wants to play silly games, I would like to try and get him playing silly games with ORG.

yes i have Jim's work and home details if you wish to mail me for them.

Edited by GoodGurl

I have spoken to Open Rights Group, and they are very interested in providing advice, some legal help and/or hosting the site to remove the hosting issue that Jim is contending with. I've e-mailed Jim (thanks G&F), and will put him in touch with the right people.

If all else fails, I would be prepared to replicate Jim's work, and obtain the raw data afresh to build a new database.

Nice one Dave.

Before it gets taken down Timothy puts his side here

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?348336-Jim-Shead-boat-listing

Just so you know I am Magnette on there

hmmm he doesn't exactly explain why it is such an issue other than it's private property. For the info displayed the words "big deal" come to mind

Good idea. Have a Greenie.

It is frustrating isn't it that someone abusing some kind of personal right completely spoils it and stomps over the concerns of the majority.

Before it gets taken down Timothy puts his side here

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?348336-Jim-Shead-boat-listing

Just so you know I am Magnette on there

Thanks for that link - I enjoyed that thread in as much as it was a reminder of how rough and tumble other forums can get, and people moan about here....

I'm afraid though Mr Mountain doesn't really explain why he wants the info. removed rather he just outlines that he has previously tried...

maybe it's horse power envy and he's worried other boaters will see he's got a smaller engine than he's been claiming....

K-type, 1932

N-type, 1934

ZA, 1953

ZB, 1956

MkIII, 1959

MkIV, 1961

MG 6 Magnette, 2011

Take your pick

:P

Richard

We need the coat anorak fairy.... ;)

Hi, everyone!

I did not intend to open a can of worms and hadn't realised that the issues surrounding Jim Shead's Boat List dated from 2005. Now having read all the replies, which I thank you for, and the information provided, I am totally appalled as to how Tim Mountain conducted himself.

Having used Jim Shead's site before and found it to be really useful, it was our first port of call when trying to find out the history of a boat a friend had recently bought.

I was dismayed to find out that the site was no longer available and that now his website has also been removed.

I hope the site comes back online soon!

There is an obvious need for it and I would ask everyone to support Jim Shead in any way they can.

Thanks once again,

Chloe

having read its reply on the other site, I fully agree with the pathetic little man tag such a sad case indeed, the only reason I can think of for not wanting a list is because the intention is to hide something Like not having an upto date licence perhaps!! and Yes all that has been acvhieved is to highlight himself!! pathetic!!!

having read its reply on the other site, I fully agree with the pathetic little man tag such a sad case indeed, the only reason I can think of for not wanting a list is because the intention is to hide something Like not having an upto date licence perhaps!! and Yes all that has been acvhieved is to highlight himself!! pathetic!!!

I've read his 'side of the argument' and agree he's clearly a F***wit to the gentry. Shame that an innocent but useful site has been lost because of one persons paranoia.

Presumably we can either all submit FOI requests everytime we want to check on a boat or maybe Cart/EA will publish a version on their own website - that would be one in the eye for Mr mountain and his ilk.

Me too. My fixed IP provider is not one to cow to empty threats.

Is the Spartacus effect about to take hold?

MtB

From the otherside of the world I miss the Jim Shead database. As somebody who is currently actively searching to buy a boat the site is useful as a backup to brokers descriptions.

Ideally the database should have official status on the basis of Public Good. It is a tool to counter misrepresentation of boats descriptions when offered for sale, which if deliberate amounts to attempted fraud. We also use this database as a tool to choose as to whether to retain or rename our selected craft as we desire a unique, or at least uncommon, waterways name. In this case the value of that database is dependant on it being comprehensive. Ideally the database should become an official combined CART and EA effort, this would ensure that it does not remain dependant on one person voluntarily continuing this great work. In the meantime cannot an alternative host for Jim be found? One that appreciates the value of its quality information that should anyway be in the public domain. It requires a public spirited host that has the fortitude to defend it against ill founded and precious attempts to degrade its value.

Kiwi Don