Jim Shead Site ?????

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

His domain name has expired. Is anyone able to contact him and tell him?

I had a similar problem a year ago.

What happened was the company I had registered my domain name with had gone belly up - but nobody told me!

I then had to jump through hoops to get a new domain registrar.

Not a very clever system IMHO.

From Paul Balmer's analysis on UKRWS:

This morning I noticed No Problem had overtaken Jim Shead in the ranking tables.

By the time I had recorded the data for today then Waterway Routes had also overtaken Jim Shead and overtaken No Problem too. I've no idea why the Waterway Routes score is so high so I'll just wait a few days and the score will drop back behind No Problem as usual.

Further investigation revealed that Jim Shead has a problem with the hosting of his web site and it is not working at all, resulting in the low score and ranking. I hope Jim is able to sort it quickly and return to his normal place in the rankings.

Hi everyone!

Just been on Jim Shead's site -

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/Inland-Waterways-of-England.html and clicked on boats. Note: You may have to type this address into your browser manually or copy and paste it in. If you still cannot get the site up please type in jim shead.com into search engine (I used google)and you should get 'This Page has moved to www.jim-shead.com'. When you click on this link you should be re-directed to new website 'http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/Inland-Waterways-of-England.html'. Click on this link and then click on 'boats' leading you to boat listings. Type in name of boat or registration number or boat builder then click 'all' and then 'find' it will take you to new page and you should see this statement -

"The web hosting company for this web site, 123-reg, have ordered that two entries be deleted from the Boat Listing following a complaint by Tim Mountain that the entries infringed his copyright. 123-reg have not upheld this complaint but they have still insisted that the items be removed before they would reinstate my website. Reluctantly I have withdrawn all my boat listing rather than just removing the two items because firstly the list would no longer reflect the true situation at the time the data was captured and secondly giving special treatment to boat owners who make spurious complaints would encourage more to follow suit.

I am taking legal advice on this matter and hope to restore the Boat Listing as soon as possible."

FURTHER INFORMATION ON THE HISTORY OF THE BOAT LISTING

"The Boat Listing contains individual records of around 90,000 boats, past and present,. These records have been supplied annually since 2005 by British Waterways and the Environment Agency (EA) under the Freedom of Information Act. The Broads Authority is now also suppling data. My website is the only public source of this data. Some Thames boaters challenged my rights to this data so in 2006 the EA only sent me a truncated version of their records. I appealed to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) and in September 2006 the ICO ruled against EA, who have supplied the data annually ever since."

Chloe

Hi everyone!

Just been on Jim Shead's site -

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/Inland-Waterways-of-England.html and clicked on boats. Note: You may have to type this address into your browser manually or copy and paste it in. If you still cannot get the site up please type in jim shead.com into search engine (I used google)and you should get 'This Page has moved to www.jim-shead.com'. When you click on this link you should be re-directed to new website 'http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/Inland-Waterways-of-England.html'. Click on this link and then click on 'boats' leading you to boat listings. Type in name of boat or registration number or boat builder then click 'all' and then 'find' it will take you to new page and you should see this statement -

"The web hosting company for this web site, 123-reg, have ordered that two entries be deleted from the Boat Listing following a complaint by Tim Mountain that the entries infringed his copyright. 123-reg have not upheld this complaint but they have still insisted that the items be removed before they would reinstate my website. Reluctantly I have withdrawn all my boat listing rather than just removing the two items because firstly the list would no longer reflect the true situation at the time the data was captured and secondly giving special treatment to boat owners who make spurious complaints would encourage more to follow suit.

I am taking legal advice on this matter and hope to restore the Boat Listing as soon as possible."

FURTHER INFORMATION ON THE HISTORY OF THE BOAT LISTING

"The Boat Listing contains individual records of around 90,000 boats, past and present,. These records have been supplied annually since 2005 by British Waterways and the Environment Agency (EA) under the Freedom of Information Act. The Broads Authority is now also suppling data. My website is the only public source of this data. Some Thames boaters challenged my rights to this data so in 2006 the EA only sent me a truncated version of their records. I appealed to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) and in September 2006 the ICO ruled against EA, who have supplied the data annually ever since."

Chloe

My bookmarked link is now working to the website again today. Pity about the boat names list situation I hope it is resolved soon. I do not really understand how it can be a true copyright issue for the person. Although without knowing what the actual entry was it is hard to tell.

My bookmarked link is now working to the website again today. Pity about the boat names list situation I hope it is resolved soon. I do not really understand how it can be a true copyright issue for the person. Although without knowing what the actual entry was it is hard to tell.

It won't be.

People get all precious and start flinging copyright and data protection about in a misguided belief that there are laws that prevent the publication of any details that relate to them.

I see such complaints regularly regarding a website that I am involved with.

It won't be.

People get all precious and start flinging copyright and data protection about in a misguided belief that there are laws that prevent the publication of any details that relate to them.

I see such complaints regularly regarding a website that I am involved with.

I suspect you are right.

Well, this looks like a likely candidate....

www.riverusergroups.co.uk/file_download/413

there was some discussion on cleanliness of lock walls. This could be difficult as it was no longer permissible to use caustic soda and pressure washing could damage brick walls

.... it's a whole different world on the Thames, Gromit!

MP.

Well, this looks like a likely candidate....

www.riverusergroups.co.uk/file_download/413

You are probably right, although I can't see why:

Concern was expressed about a website run by Jim Shead which published a variety of data about boats on the river including some obtained under FOI, which should not be used for commercial purposes. NMS confirmed that they were aware of the website and were looking into it. Tim Mountain complained that intelligence he had given about unlicensed boats had not been acted on; he felt that patrol boats sent out for other purposes could have followed it up. NMS emphasised that registration policing had to be done in a targeted way. He agreed that performance in the past had not always been adequate; the enforcement team was new and was getting up to speed. In discussion of boats with no registration details Andrew Todd asked how many boats were impounded. NMS said it was rare and the process was not fully tested. There was a general feeling that this would prove to be a good deterrent

It isn't easy to pick that paragraph apart, it does link concerns about Jim's useful boat list to this Tim Mountain

How long until Dan gets a request then?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

there was some discussion on cleanliness of lock walls. This could be difficult as it was no longer permissible to use caustic soda and pressure washing could damage brick walls

Good grief! - Let's hope none of them ever have to pass through Camp Hill or Garrison locks!

AIUI Jim has a right to request and receive the data under FoI, but not necessarily a right to reproduce it. CRT or the EA could, if they so wished, request that he stop publishing it: they own the copyright. Individual boat-owners, however (as posted upthread), have no right to demand their boat's details are withdrawn.

nope, I've tried all ways and just keep coming up with

Access to the web page was denied

You are not authorised to access the web page at http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/mwp.php?wpage=Inland-Waterways-of-England.htm. You may need to sign in.

HTTP Error 403 (Forbidden): The server refused to fulfill the request.

pah!

Edited by Ally

AIUI Jim has a right to request and receive the data under FoI, but not necessarily a right to reproduce it. CRT or the EA could, if they so wished, request that he stop publishing it: they own the copyright. Individual boat-owners, however (as posted upthread), have no right to demand their boat's details are withdrawn.

Actually, no they don't own the copyright.

There is not, and cannot be, any copyright subsisting in facts.

In the UK, there can be copyright and/or the EU sui generis database right in compilations of facts, such as the boat listing. But it's a hugely complicated area of law - read British Horseracing Board v William Hill for one case that dragged on for a good while.

Over at OpenStreetMap (which is primarily concerned with factual data) we spent a few years moving from a solely copyright-based licence (Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike) to one that uses copyright, database right and contract (Open Database Licence) for that very reason. In the US it's much simpler!

In the UK, there can be copyright and/or the EU sui generis database right in compilations of facts, such as the boat listing. But it's a hugely complicated area of law - read British Horseracing Board v William Hill for one case that dragged on for a good while.

Over at OpenStreetMap (which is primarily concerned with factual data) we spent a few years moving from a solely copyright-based licence (Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike) to one that uses copyright, database right and contract (Open Database Licence) for that very reason. In the US it's much simpler!

Indeed there can be database right etc, but the simple truth is that if the information can be obtained from CRT/EA using FOIA requests then it can be republished (although it may be necessary in extremis to rekey the information supplied if CRT/EA claim a database right).

It is abundantly clear that none of the information supplied on Jim's site is covered by any copyright belonging to Tim Mountain, and that there is nothing that the DPA would cover.

I'm sure that ORG would be interested in taking this one up...